My report on Quirky 6.0

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
charlie6

#181 Post by charlie6 »

Hi,
...a tip about Ted word processor (see repo ted-2.23-quirky6.pet)
if wanting a bigger Format tool dialog box (see Menubar/Tools/Format tool), just empty the /usr/share/Ted/config/ted.gtkrc2.0 file :wink:
Attachments
capture14677.jpg
Ted french version
(24.71 KiB) Downloaded 1105 times

Sage

#182 Post by Sage »

Sorry, my edit only posted after charlie's latest.

charlie6

dbus-1.7.8-quirky6.1.pet and dbus-glib

#183 Post by charlie6 »

Hi,
here is a link to dbus-1.7.8-quirky6.1.pet
http://www.datafilehost.com/d/4199d584
as also
dbus-glib-0.100.2-quirky6.1.pet
compiled on quirky-6.1
having the libdbus-glib-1.so.2 and libdbus-1.so.3 needed by firefox-23
Given as is. Both might be optimized to shrink their size.
cheers, charlie
Attachments
dbus-glib-0.100.2-quirky6.1.pet
(181.99 KiB) Downloaded 312 times

Sage

#184 Post by Sage »

6.1:
Crash problem whilst running BBC iPlayer for several hours. Reboot tried to repair FS. Something about f2fs. Second reboot landed at prompt from which nothing functioning. Slacko on first partition still OK.

L18L

My report on Quirky 6.1

#185 Post by L18L »

Installed on a 8 GiB USB stick method A.

puppy langpack_de-20130806 installed

Everything except tools and apps from shell scripts translated.

Fixed by copying /bin/gettext from precise 5.7.1

Not yet fixed: xgettext, msgmerge, etc. do not work

EDIT: fixed, see
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... &start=195
Attachments
quirky_momanager.png
(46.59 KiB) Downloaded 1047 times
Last edited by L18L on Fri 03 Jan 2014, 13:21, edited 1 time in total.

mavrothal

removing packages

#186 Post by mavrothal »

The new installpkg.sh is generating the /audit/${DLPKG_MAIN}DEPOSED.sfs. However, the removepreview.sh is looking for the /audit/${DB_pkgname}DEPOSED.sfs.
These two may or may not be the same particularly if the original package has additional parameters after the version (i486 etc).
The discrepancy is more apparent in slackware packages.
It is probably safer to look for the full-package-name-DEPOSED instead.

Latter: This change in removepreview.sh appears to work fine

Code: Select all

fDB_pkgname=`grep ^${DB_pkgname} /root/.packages/user-installed-packages | cut -f 8 -d '|' |rev| cut -c 5-|rev`
if [ -f /audit/${fDB_pkgname}DEPOSED.sfs ];then
Last edited by mavrothal on Thu 02 Jan 2014, 18:36, edited 3 times in total.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

adi

no usb boot computer alternative

#187 Post by adi »

I made a cf card in ide cf adapter following the instruction on quirky 6.1 release page with quirky 6.1 on usb flash. my old desktop dell optiplex gx520 sff has usb boot but also work with cf. card. trying to move that card to dell optiplex (ide boot only). both hdd and floppy do not work anymore.

-Computer-
Processor : Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 3.06GHz
Memory : 1543MB (96MB used)
Machine Type : Physical machine
Operating System : Quirky - 6.1
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Jo 02 ian 2014 20:10:20 +0200
-Display-
Resolution : 1024x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Unknown
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Audio Devices-
Audio Adapter : ICH4 - Intel ICH7
-Input Devices-
USB Optical Mouse
USB USB Keyboard
USB USB Keyboard
Power Button
Power Button
PC Speaker
-Printers (CUPS)-
CUPS-PDF : <i>Default</i>
-SCSI Disks-
ATA CF CARD 4GB

Jasper

#188 Post by Jasper »

Dear BarryK et al.

Having successfully moved from v 6.0 to v 6.1 using Method C, I made numerous tweaks and installed some ten pets and all went very well until having made a backup I installed the latest jwm v 879 pet and tried to restart x, but that failed.

I failed to get back to my desktop by repeatedly trying xorgwizard, xwin and xwin openbox.

I then used reboot then F2 then quirky qfix=back and chose the latest backup (per the first paragraph) That also failed, but it seemed odd that I had two options because although I originally set the maximum number of backups to two - I had changed it to 1 after making a good restore then making a second backup which was also subsequently restored successfully. I did not restore my third backup, but made my fourth and final backup - and so was surprised to see the third one was also a qfix option.

My regards

I accept 6.1 as is and do not expect support. I have two. probably ingenuous, thoughts.

My successful restores seemed to restore to the state immediately before the backup and it seemed that the backup image was lost as the backup gui reported “no backup taken
Last edited by Jasper on Fri 03 Jan 2014, 07:54, edited 2 times in total.

bobtron

Q6.1

#189 Post by bobtron »

Greetings to all!.. I am a "noob-"nik" in a "Quirky Quirky" {6.1} world!

Touch pad settings? {Acer note/net book here}..mouse pointer moves slow {any way to 'calibrate'}..tap/select works..I need vertical up/down scroll to work.
Wasn't FLSclient(?) touchpad config tool in "Desktop"?

Committed and updated to Q6.1 to my sda6 partition..Partview reported 6.0GB/ 2.8GB Free..mouse hover over Desktop Partview icon in the tray and it reports "5.9GB personal storage/2.4GB free"..is there a hidden "tax"? hidden costs of "inventory/overhead"?..or is it the thousand new "Obama-care" taxes here in the states?{hehe}

TNX in advance, to Barry K and the great team of lads and "lassies"{"puppy pun"} for fine business job on a fun distro that I am close to putting to the top of Grub..Menu.lst !

bobtron

Q6.1

#190 Post by bobtron »

Ooops I forgot..running Opera {12.16} browser..with "RT" addon {news feed}..does not display tiny thumbnails of top articles..I think Barry K is on to something with libjpeg or something else.
works fine with all other pups {wary/racy/lucid/macpup and .sfs quirky[vers.? I forgot]

ozsouth

Missing 'misc' folder - OK in ext2 partition & 4gb usb stick

#191 Post by ozsouth »

(BK) .... fixed in 6.0.1. Now the bug has come back!

I investigated, and was astonished that an entire directory is missing, /usr/X11R7/lib/X11/fonts/misc

...'fonts' has somehow turned into a symlink, with nothing in it.
Q61 install to ext2 partition has the complete 'misc' folder.
Ditto an install to 4gb usb stick with f2fs. Could it be the 8gb image?

vicmz

#192 Post by vicmz »

Quirky 6.1 installed by method A into an f2fs-formatted 8GB flash drive, really nice. Looking forward to the next version.

Just in case it was not reported (if anyone can confirm): JWM themes won't switch at once. When global font size is changed, X breaks (by rebooting I'm still unable to get back the desktop, a fresh install solves it). A maximized ROX window gets resized when a folder is clicked. As long as I avoid to change global font size, I'm able to use Quirky.

As expected, my Openbox remix doesn't work, it even breaks ROX pinboard. This is actually a good thing, it will force me to learn compiling these summer holidays -- I'm not opposed to receiving some guidance, though. :lol:
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76948]Puppy Linux en español[/url]

Moat

#193 Post by Moat »

Vicmz -
vicmz wrote: Just in case it was not reported (if anyone can confirm): JWM themes won't switch at once. When global font size is changed, X breaks (by rebooting I'm still unable to get back the desktop, a fresh install solves it).
On the previous page, I reported pretty much the same bug about the desktop disappearing after font resize - but for me, the taskbar and menu remained, and restarting X brought the proper desktop back.

I also tried your Openboxplus 1.6.1 pet... looked stellar - for a few seconds, anyways! :) Everything went to heck when I actually started clicking on things... :shock:

Bob

adi

iso file option

#194 Post by adi »

at the end of the installation process there is an option to save the iso file for future use. where is the file located? if it doesn't exists how can i make another one after install.

charlie6

#195 Post by charlie6 »

Hi,
using the new latest install-scripts: here got a successfull install on a USB flash key + successfull boot on my daughter's Acer Aspire V3-771G (after having set its bios to "legacy").

Noticed:
- flsynclient is not present (whereas flsynclient.desktop is well present); so further touchpads settings can't be done;
- the Pmount window reports 0.0G size for some (un)mounted partitions/usb flash keys;
- i miss .... the siliconmotion.ko video driver :cry: :roll: as i'd like to get a try on an "old" Medion PIII 600MHz ...

Regards, Charlie
Attachments
capture18995.jpg
(11.53 KiB) Downloaded 734 times

L18L

My report on Quirky 6.1

#196 Post by L18L »

New install on 8GiB USB stick method D

This time I have taken a snapshot before trying to solve the gettext problem.

Simple solution: Installation of gettext-0.18.3.1.tar.bz2 from http://ftp.nluug.nl/ftp/pub/os/Linux/di ... 2/quirky6/

Translated snapshot-manager using Forked Fast MoManager

Doing a translation is very good for understanding new software....
Attachments
MoManager-de-WOOF.tar.gz
contains German translation of snapshot-manager
(4.38 KiB) Downloaded 280 times
snapshot.png
(66.25 KiB) Downloaded 1095 times

timothyli

#197 Post by timothyli »

timothyli wrote:Quirky 6.1 runs great on my Sony 16GB USB 3.0 Micro Vault stick on a Lenovo X201 i5 with 4GB of RAM :) However, if I use a cheap no name USB stick, it is a bit laggy, which is expected.
I've been playing around with Quirky 6.1 a lot these days, experimenting with different size USB sticks/SD cards lying around in the house. I found that Quirky6 is usable only with a speedy USB stick or HD. With slow USB sticks, the best overall user experience is running Precise 5.7.1 loaded entirely into RAM (pfix=ram). I remastered a puppy_precise_5.7.1.sfs to include the apps I often use (like Chrome browser, freeoffice) along with all the settings, fonts etc., modify the /usr/sbin/delayedrun script to suppress the first-time popup, write my zoneinfo (America/Toronto) into the /etc/localtime, so that I can boot to a speedy, fully functional, ready-to-use desktop without interruption. Yes, the boot up time is longer than Quirky6's, but once it's up, it remains speedy throughout because everything is in RAM. The speed of the USB stick becomes irrelevant. I can even unplug the USB stick. I work off the cloud (Google Drive) so I rarely need to save stuff back to my local drive. This seems to be the best setup for my use case.

I love the idea of Quirky6 but I wonder what else can be done to improve the performance on slow USB sticks. I tried moving /root/.cache to /tmp but it just helped a little.

jrb

#198 Post by jrb »

Running Q6.1 in harddrive partition quite nicely.

-Computer-
Processor : 2x Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU N270 @ 1.60GHz
Memory : 2064MB (45MB used)
Machine Type : Physical machine
Operating System : Quirky - 6.1
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Fri 03 Jan 2014 08:10:12 AM PST
-Display-
Resolution : 1920x1080 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Unknown
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Audio Devices-
Audio Adapter : HDA-Intel - HDA Intel

-Printers (CUPS)-
Brother_HL-1435_series : <i>Default</i>
CUPS-PDF
-SCSI Disks-
ATA WDC WD1600BEVT-2
ST2000DL 003-9VT166

Has anyone else reported epdfview not printing? Abiword, Seamonkey, geany all print well. Epdfview shows the print dialog box and the proper printer but the print job just disappears. It doesn't show up in the Cups Job list. :?

Other than that working well so far. Thanks BK

mareg

My report on Quirky 6.1

#199 Post by mareg »

I have installed Quirky 6.1 to a harddrive of my 9-year old PC (Intel Celeron 2,7 ATI Radeon 9200SE, 1 G RAM).
On other partition of this PC I have 5 different Puppys installed frugal in folders (Precise 5.6., Dpup Wheezy 3.5.2,5. X-Precise 5.7.1, Ovprecise 5.8, Raring 3.9.9.2 )
First impression - Q 6.1 is quick
Boot time - 28 sec against 50-55 for frugal (OK not loading to RAM)
Seamonkey starts in 5 sec against 9-10 for frugal (this is suprise)
I installed some applications:
- does not work;
GoogleChrome 31.0.1650.57
LibreOffice 4.1.4 (made by ASRI) - nothing in menu, cannot find it
LibreOffice 3.5.2 (posted by vicmz) - was in menu but did not start
- works:
hpliplite 3.11.1 - configured my HP Deskjet 2280F (printing and scanning works)
jre-1.7u45i586 (by Bruno from ASRI)
qtweb-3.8.4.1-x86
slimboat-1.1.44
sfs_load-1.9.6-2 (by Shinobar). Using it I loaded/installed LibreOffice-3.6.3-en SFS. It appeared in menu and worked (writing, opening pps files) as in my frugal Puppies

slavvo67

Quirky 6.1 and Issue with Q-Wallpaper

#200 Post by slavvo67 »

Quirky 6.1 is still fast but to me it seems noticeably slower than 5.99. Still receiving a "Somewhat fault with ffmpeg." The program is asking me to ensure ffmpeg is properly installed. Installed the Opera pet 12.16.1860-i386. Works like a charm. Still receiving the pop-up from Seamonkey "Starting for the very first time" everytime I start. I note there was a fix on one of the boards but I have not applied it, yet. The Opera seems jet-fast so while it's obviously a matter of preference, it's my preferred choice on Quirky (for now).

I installed the Q-Wallpaper in UPUP Precise 3.8.2 (one of my fav Puppies) without any installation problem. However, upon using it appears the program is looking for wallpapers in usr/share/backgrounds/125, while UPUP Precise has the backgrounds in usr/share/backgrounds. I just dragged them into the 125 directory instead of programming it out but just a heads up that it's an issue.

Kind regards and Happy New Year!

Slavvo67