Booting, installing, newbie
cherry owen

eee pc 701 getting my music recognised by gnome or pmusic

#1 Post by cherry owen »

I'm running:
Asus eee pc 701 with 4GB disc and 2GB ram
OS Puppy Linux 0.52
Display resolution 800*480
I'm using a USB live drive as I haven't got an external DVD drive to load the Asus Xandros Linux and anyway I wanted to try something new. It boots OK and everything seems to be working. However when I try to load my music files from an 8GB SD card, the windows that pop up are cropped at the bottom of the screen by the taskbar (is that what it's called - I'm more usually a Windows user?). Hence I don't see any options to select music sources. I've tried lowering the resolution to 640*400 hoping that there would be some scroll bar, but no luck. Any suggestions would be helpful - but I'm a Linux newby so if you can, use Windows speak or English!
Cheers!

ally

#2 Post by ally »

hey cherry

press and hold the 'alt' key and left mouse, that will enable you to adjust the window

there is an excellent build for the eee callled puppeee, the browser is a little old now but the rest is excellent

a slightly newer chrome (10) can be installed or a later firefox

also pemasu's squeeze works well on this machine

they can be found here:

puppeee: http://archive.org/details/PuppyLinuxPuppeee

squeeze:http://smokey01.com/pemasu/DpupSqueeze5X/DpupExprimo5X
3621/squeeze-5.X.3.6.2.1-SCSI.iso

HTH

:)

sorry url's mucked up post.....
Last edited by ally on Sat 04 Jan 2014, 01:59, edited 1 time in total.

cherry owen

#3 Post by cherry owen »

Thanks, will check it out soonest!
Last edited by cherry owen on Sat 04 Jan 2014, 14:56, edited 1 time in total.

mikeb

#4 Post by mikeb »

Are you saying the player goes off the screen...think I have heard this complaint before.

Perhaps try the gnome-mplayer (if its in there)....the default might be set to the one thats too big

Mike

rokytnji

#5 Post by rokytnji »

Alt+Left mouse pad click will grab the window and you can use the mouse pad to drag it where you need it.

I ran into that all the time on my 701 no matter what distro used.

cherry owen

#6 Post by cherry owen »

Thanks for all your suggestions! Alt + left mouse click did it for me! I'll also take a look at puppeee as it's designed for the eee pc. Cheers!

Moose On The Loose

#7 Post by Moose On The Loose »

cherry owen wrote:Thanks for all your suggestions! Alt + left mouse click did it for me! I'll also take a look at puppeee as it's designed for the eee pc. Cheers!
I found I liked Puppy-528.006 on an eepc-701 better than pupeee. There is a slight cost in speed but basically all of the 528 stuff works. It is a shame that there appears to be no easy way to combine the good work on pupeee with some of the other work on other projects.

I bought a 500G USB hard drive and did an install onto it and also onto the SD card. I copied the a save file onto the external drive so that with it plugged in, I was able to have it be the home drive and pop out the SD card to pop in the one from the camera.