KingSoft Office

Word processors, spreadsheets, presentations, translation, etc.
TLM

KingSoft Office

#1 Post by TLM »

Just got the latest Kingsoft Office .deb file and it is working great! One small download issue:

1: I tried to save the .deb file 3 times and the download failed, however when I let petget install it, I was able to retrieve the .deb file from my /tmp folder (make sure you copy it out of there before you acknowledge the completion of the installation,otherwise it gets automatically deleted) Download the .deb file here:http://wps-community.org/download.html

So far its working really great on my system. Attached is a screenshot of it running in Precise 5.6. [/img]
Attachments
KingSoft_Writer.png
(86.63 KiB) Downloaded 1218 times

musher0

#2 Post by musher0 »

Hello, TLM!

Many thanks for this info. You are really on the button: the date of these *.deb and
*.rpm files is today!

So far all 3 modules (writer, spreadsheets and presentation) are running really great
as well on my upupRaring-3.992.

First impression: woooh! How far this is from abiword, isn't ? :D

If interested, tell me, I can make your package available on limelinks.com as a
Kingsoft sfs file (178 Mb), so it won't eat up any space in the Puppy personal save
(pupsave) file. As well, since an sfs add-on is perfectly adapted to PuppyLinux, it
will solve the installation problem you reported initially.

BFN. (And Happy New Year!)

musher0
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

nmlkngdm

#3 Post by nmlkngdm »

Using a HP Pavilion Entertainment laptop
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T5850 @ 2.16GHz

OVPrecise-retro 5.8
Image Image Image

Upup Raring 3.9.9.2
Image Image Image

@musher0
sfs file sounds like a good idea

musher0

#4 Post by musher0 »

Here you go, people.

I uploaded the file at FileDropper, actually. limelinx.com seem to be down at present.

So, you can download the file < KingsoftOffice-9.1.0.4244~a12p3_i386.sfs > from:
http://www.filedropper.com/kingsoftoffi ... 4a12p3i386

Enjoy!

musher0
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

musher0

#5 Post by musher0 »

PS to the above: as I understand it, FileDropper keeps files for 7 days on a free account.
So if someone knows of a more permanent file storage, please let me know.
Thanks in advance.

musher0
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

nmlkngdm

#6 Post by nmlkngdm »

Thanks for the sfs file musher0
Last edited by nmlkngdm on Sat 04 Jan 2014, 14:31, edited 1 time in total.

technosaurus

#7 Post by technosaurus »

Yet another proprietary Linux app that uses unnecessarily new versions of glibc and libstdc++. (Chrome and many others do too)

It would be a lot smaller if the 100+Mb of fonts were separate or the standard open source libs were separated.
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

Puppus Dogfellow

#8 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

i'm hosting musher0's Kingston Office sfs and a pet made from it. (i also have the previous versions if anyone's interested. they work in Precise 5.5-5.7 and they're just as large).

KingsoftOffice-9.1.0.4244~a12p3_i386.pet 202MB

KingsoftOffice-9.1.0.4244~a12p3_i386.sfs 178MB

musher0

#9 Post by musher0 »

technosaurus wrote:Yet another proprietary Linux app that uses unnecessarily new versions of glibc and libstdc++. (Chrome and many others do too)

It would be a lot smaller if the 100+Mb of fonts were separate or the standard open source libs were separated.
Hello, technosaurus.

Hm... interesting remark. I see approx. 30 Mb's of Qt 4.7.4 in the main folder and
162 Mb's of TTF fonts in /usr/share/fonts/wps-office. Ouch, that's 192 Mb's out of
472 (approx. 40 %).

I wonder if we can separate those Qt libs and fonts, or it they are etched into their
executables.

Then again, OpenOffice | LibreOffice editions provide their own fonts and libs. Is it
fair to hold that against KingSoft?

Sorry for the newbie question, but if one uses Qt, does one use glibc, etc. as well?
What filenames are we looking for?

If we can produce a smaller Puppy sfs for this package, all users will benefit.

Best regards.

musher0
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

musher0

#10 Post by musher0 »

Puppus Dogfellow wrote:i'm hosting musher0's Kingston Office sfs and a pet made from it. (i also have the previous versions if anyone's interested. they work in Precise 5.5-5.7 and they're just as large).

KingsoftOffice-9.1.0.4244~a12p3_i386.pet 202MB

KingsoftOffice-9.1.0.4244~a12p3_i386.sfs 178MB
Many thanks, Dogfellow!
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

Puppus Dogfellow

#11 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

you're very welcome, musher0!

musher0

#12 Post by musher0 »

@technosaurus and all.

There are also 43 Mb's of templates in Mandarin, which obviously a Westerner would
have no use for, since templates for en_US are also provided. So we'd have a "slim
Western" package of KingSoftOffice 9.1.0 about half the original "weight" in Mb's.

We'd have to use a separate sfs or pet for Qt-4.7.4 or higher, of course (+/- 28 Mb's),
but still, overall, that's a sizeable difference for distributing a package.

I already removed the Chinese fonts, and all entities work. I'll test some more without
the above-mentioned components and see if it works.

BFN.

musher0
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

Puppus Dogfellow

#13 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

musher0 wrote:@technosaurus and all.

There are also 43 Mb's of templates in Mandarin, which obviously a Westerner would
have no use for, since templates for en_US are also provided. So we'd have a "slim
Western" package of KingSoftOffice 9.1.0 about half the original "weight" in Mb's.

We'd have to use a separate sfs or pet for Qt-4.7.4 or higher, of course (+/- 28 Mb's),

I already removed the Chinese fonts, and all entities work. I'll test some more without

BFN.

musher0
cool.
:D

regarding qt, on my installations, it seems it can break itself (and the some of the things dependent on it ) if it's installed when it or a version or itself is already installed. this is just an observation; i don't have the computer savvy to know what it means, just think that maybe keeping it separate's a pretty good idea for this type of reason. is that what you meant by the "of course," or is there something abnormal going on with my systems when i experience that type of problem? (fwiw, audio/studio programs seem most afflicted by this...). do the versions of qt overwrite themselves or pile up?

hope that's not too off topic.

technosaurus

#14 Post by technosaurus »

musher0 wrote: Hello, technosaurus.

Hm... interesting remark. I see approx. 30 Mb's of Qt 4.7.4 in the main folder and
162 Mb's of TTF fonts in /usr/share/fonts/wps-office. Ouch, that's 192 Mb's out of
472 (approx. 40 %).

I wonder if we can separate those Qt libs and fonts, or it they are etched into their
executables.

Then again, OpenOffice | LibreOffice editions provide their own fonts and libs. Is it

Sorry for the newbie question, but if one uses Qt, does one use glibc, etc. as well?

Best regards.

musher0
C++ mangles template (funcion) names when compiled, so sometime this makes versions or even different compiles of the same version incompatible
libstdc++ does depend on glibc but its unlikely to need a version greater than 2.6 - building against newer versions unnecessarily precludes its utility in older linux distros (redhat enterprize, many pups and other LTS versions)
... but to answer the main question just use ldd <binary/library>

Just because mozilla, open/libre office, chrome, webkit and other large projects use a crappy build process, doesn't make it better. Sometimes it is because they make incompatible changes to the original, but usually it is just to minimize dll-hell for "regular users"

Ideally each language, font, template, clipart collection or whatever should be an optional addon that can be added/removed in a "custom intall". Debian enforces this fairly strictly
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

musher0

#15 Post by musher0 »

Puppus Dogfellow wrote:
musher0 wrote:@technosaurus and all.

BFN.

musher0
cool.
:D

regarding qt, on my installations, it seems it can break itself (and the some of the things dependent on it ) if it's installed when it or a version or itself is already installed. this is just an observation; i don't have the computer savvy to know what it means, just think that maybe keeping it separate's a pretty good idea for this type of reason. is that what you meant by the "of course," or is there something abnormal going on with my systems when i experience that type of problem? (fwiw, audio/studio programs seem most afflicted by this...). do the versions of qt overwrite themselves or pile up?

hope that's not too off topic.
Hi, Puppus.

I don't think so. It's about ways to make a better sfs for the package in the title.

I have done a couple of tests, and it would seem that the Qt 4.7.4 libraries provided with
KingSoftOffice need to stay where they are. If I strip down the package and load Qt 4.8
sfs in parallel, the KingSoftOffice executables do not load, and I get "symbol x missing"
messages and the like.

Maybe it's just me (likely), or this Puppy (unlikely), or this machine (pardon me, old girl).
An expert (technosaurus ?) ;) would have to confirm this. I do not have the expertise
to detect if the KingSoft people have edited the Qt 4.7.4 libs for their suite of programs.

Anyway, at this point I have an 80 Mb sfs running ok, just by removing the Chinese
fonts and templates. (No offense intended to any Chinese person, I simply never use
those fonts and templates.)

BFN.

musher0
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

musher0

#16 Post by musher0 »

technosaurus wrote:
musher0 wrote: Hello, technosaurus.

472 (approx. 40 %).

executables.

Best regards.

musher0
C++ mangles template (funcion) names when compiled, so sometime this makes versions or even different compiles of the same version incompatible
libstdc++ does depend on glibc but its unlikely to need a version greater than 2.6 - building against newer versions unnecessarily precludes its utility in older linux distros (redhat enterprize, many pups and other LTS versions)
... but to answer the main question just use ldd <binary/library>

Just because mozilla, open/libre office, chrome, webkit and other large projects use a crappy build process, doesn't make it better. Sometimes it is because they make incompatible changes to the original, but usually it is just to minimize dll-hell for "regular users"

Ideally each language, font, template, clipart collection or whatever should be an optional addon that can be added/removed in a "custom intall". Debian enforces this fairly strictly
Hi, technosaurus.

Thanks for the enlightening answer.

If I push your reasoning a little further, am I right to assume that KingSoftOffice would gain by being rebuilt from source, so separates can be kept separate?

Happy New Year to you and yours, BTW.

musher0
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

nmlkngdm

#17 Post by nmlkngdm »

I see Puppus Dogfellow beat me to it. The more the merrier.

http://www.mirrorcreator.com/files/0LLR ... .sfs_links

musher0

#18 Post by musher0 »

Yep, the more, the merrier! Many thanks, nmlkngdm.

And now: http://limelinx.com/dne32 However, this is NOT a repeat of
yesterday's upload.

This is the "westernized" sfs, with Chinese fonts and templates removed. But I took
no chances, and it still has its own Qt-4.7.4 libraries. It's down to 80 Mb's, as opposed
to 178 Mb's for the complete version uploaded yesterday. I prepared this sfs with
technosaurus' remarks in mind.
I've been using this "westernized" version since
yesterday afternoon, and it works fine on my UpupRaring-3.992.

No offense is intended towards the Chinese authors, it's just that I use their product
only in French or in English: I have no use for the Mandarin Chinese fonts and
templates in my daily work (nor do I know the language). But of course congratulations
to them are in order for creating such a nice office suite.

limelinx.com being back online, the above link is good for 60 days. If on the 59th day
someone downloads it, it's good for another 60 days. And so on. That's how
limelinx.com works.

I like limelinx.com because it tells me automatically which of my packages are popular!
(Where is the tongue-in-cheek icon?) ;) Which doesn't mean a more permanent
storage somewhere else would not be gra[t,c]efully accepted! :)

Enjoy!

musher0
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

nmlkngdm

#19 Post by nmlkngdm »

Thanks again musher0
mirror link for "westernized" sfs (Chinese fonts and templates removed)
http://www.mirrorcreator.com/files/0SY1 ... .sfs_links
EDIT: I just realized the western sfs filename reads 9.10.0.4244. It should read 9.1, no big deal.

musher0

#20 Post by musher0 »

nmlkngdm wrote:Thanks again musher0
mirror link for "westernized" sfs (Chinese fonts and templates removed)
http://www.mirrorcreator.com/files/0SY1 ... .sfs_links
EDIT: I just realized the western sfs filename reads 9.10.0.4244. It should read 9.1, no big deal.
Thank you!
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~