How to uninstall WINE .pet?

Using applications, configuring, problems
Raj

#1 Post by Raj »

Recently I'd installed Wine. Wine & POL are same. In wine you have just to install the .pet. The .pet is available through latest quickpet. While installing Wine, it will ask you for Gecko & if you have internet connection activated, it will be installed automatically (just click on install). As a common man, you can use Wine then, without knowing any editing etc. I installed it & used Minitab14 -- worked perfectly.

And Gecko is nothing but the Wine I.E. (picture given).

The thing that I do not know & ask help for, is how to uninstall Wine. The ususal process should be uninstall any .exe etc first & then uninstall Wine, but it did not work, though system confirmed it. How can it be done?

The other thing is installing Tally6.3 (or other version). How it can be done? I know there are a huge linux alternative of Tally, but specifically I need this software only.

Any help is welcome.

Thanks,
Raj

davids45

Manual deletion of installed files

#2 Post by davids45 »

G'day Raj,

The wine.pet should have created a file in /root/.packages/ listing all its files and where they were installed.

Open as text this file in /root/.packages/ with Rox, and in another Rox window, delete all the files listed by the wine pet from the locations indicated. Quite a few are directories with just wine files so it does not take much time when these can be deleted as directories.

Finally, close and delete the wine file in .packages.

David S.

bigpup

#3 Post by bigpup »

Puppy Package Manager should have it listed in installed packages.
Should be able to uninstall Wine from there.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Dewbie

#4 Post by Dewbie »

bigpup wrote:
Puppy Package Manager should have it listed in installed packages.
Should be able to uninstall Wine from there.

It's pretty common to find Wine artifacts even after uninstalling with PPM.

mikeslr

Tally Accounting Software under Wine or Play-on-Linux

#5 Post by mikeslr »

Hi Raj,

Wine is not Windows. Not everything which runs under Windows will work run Wine. Think of it as an automatic translation program --like Google-Translate-- translating something written in Windows to something written in Linux. Sometimes it works fine. Sometimes what comes out is “garbage.

Raj

#6 Post by Raj »

Thanks a lot Mike, for your detailed writing.

Yes, I need this software because I have had to work with it & it's the only software used in my circle, in terms of accounting.

Also, I'm in love with this distro -- Puppy 5.7.1. I am till a newcomer to this distro & truly I often search in the dark for some helps while using it, but my overall experience is satisfactory. It also has some features which are very handy. And my burner always work efficiently with the Peasydisk (except K3b, it's the only one which can do it).

Yes, I also agree with you that every software/OS has its own pros & cons -- per its philosophy.

So, I am following a middle way -- using dual booting with Windows (& a full installation of Puppy).

Thanks again,
Raj