Slacko 5.7 final - 8 March 2014

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
01micko

#261 Post by 01micko »

The icons indeed are a result of the removed *24.png icons. This needs to be fixed in PPM, should only take a line or 2.

I saw the popups, the three icons on the right and the Network icon. I guess it can be fixed, not rushing for that one though.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

SFR

#262 Post by SFR »

Thanks for clarification about *24.png icons.
As for desktop icons I didn't notice before that 'Connect' is also an AppDir. :lol:

Greetings!
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]
[b][color=green]Omnia mea mecum porto.[/color][/b]

mavrothal

#263 Post by mavrothal »

Colonel Panic wrote:I have a problem to report, unfortunately;

Slacko 5.6.5 won't shout down properly. I have to log out to get to the console, type in "halt" at the console, and then switch my computer off.
This should be fixed in 5.6.5.2/5.
Are you using one of those (which one)?
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

Volhout

#264 Post by Volhout »

Installed 5.6.5.2 on Eeepc1001HA (N270).

WIFI connects, Audio and video play well. New iconset and firstrun are nice.

One small remark (this is not new, also on 5.6):

Frugal install, when desktop icons template is set to minimal, after shutdown (create save file, write to save file) and restart, the desktop shows both normal icons, and minimal icons (double !!).

After manual selecting icons template again and shutdown/restart again, all is well. Just the first time it is a problem. And a minor one too...

edit: The menu manager works great. This puppy is loaded with a lot of stuff that I either don't use (yet) or that are double. This allows me to create a slimmer menu. I miss "pupcontrolpanel" that combines so many setup and utility menu items that I could slim down the menu even more. Wizard-Wizard is great though. Size change to 24 pixels also works on menu manager (secondary menu, top level menu remains 24).

edit2: tested on HP DV2000 laptop (T2400 CPU, Nvidia 7200 graphics). WIFI, video audio all work. Youtube player 11 installed, works great.
3 issues found additionally
- when I open a picture (viewnior), and right click, choose "set as desktop", that does not work.
- when I select volume control (speaker) from the tray, I cannot control anything. After configuration of the retrovol tray icon, everything works (no slider was previously attached).
- Frisbee works better in this puppy than Barry's simple network setup.

edit3: I noticed that both the EeePC1001HA and the DV2000 do not suspend on closing of the lid. One of the hardest things to tackle is powering down and up again and connecting WIFI after opening the lid......

edit4: installed on Eeepc X101CH (Intel N2600, GMA6000 graphics). Correct video driver would not install (this is Cedarview...right?) out of the box. Startup tet say's it checks for Cedarview, but can't find anything. manual Xorgwizard, only modesetting unaccelerated driver works (accelerated driver not, vesa driver not) after some fiddling. Found a strange problem with this laptop on audio: retrovol full window (rightclick on tray icon). The laptop speaker mutes correctly when the related speaker mute button is clicked, but the speaker volume is controlled by the headphone slide bar, not the speaker slider. Maybe this is some inconsistency in the laptop? The performance on this EeePC is good. Am typing this while copying from USB to USB, watching youtube video (windowed) via WIFI, and am playing with retrovol. Unaccelerated driver is however pushing the limits on full screen youtube. With all 4? (=2) CPU's at 1600MHz according to CPU frequency scaler tool.

edit5: on this EeePC X101CH Mpayer won't scale video correct, unless I manually select X11 video in the preferences. The field was default blanked out, so I don't know what it was set to before. To be honest, it looks a bit like my install was corrupted (no correct retrovol config, no correct Mplayer config, double icons).

I hope this helps...

P.S. Zigbert: when mounting a partition, the desktop icon also shows a red cross. Maybe that is something to look at also when you want to avoid the color red.

Looking to become a great pup...
Last edited by Volhout on Tue 07 Jan 2014, 20:45, edited 2 times in total.

SFR

FYI

#265 Post by SFR »

[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]

Marv

Re: 5.6.5.2

#266 Post by Marv »

Volhout wrote:Installed 5.6.5.2 on Eeepc1001HA (N270).
edit3: I noticed that both the EeePC1001HA and the DV2000 do not suspend on closing of the lid. One of the hardest things to tackle is powering down and up again and connecting WIFI after opening the lid......
Yes, laptops vary just enough to make this tricky. Attached are the simple mods I use in LxPup 14.01 (5.6.5.2 based) to make it work on my all intel Fujitsu lifebook s6520 and s6210s. Without this, it resuspends on lid opening. It is attached as a pet for what it's worth.
Attachments
lidsuspend.pet
(556 Bytes) Downloaded 306 times
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

bigpup

#267 Post by bigpup »

Slacko 5.6.5.2

Firefox ESR is up to version 24.2.0.

Download web site:
http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/or ... s/all.html

Updates Manager
shows Firefox ESR V17.0.11

The Update Manager is not keeping up with the latest releases.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Volhout

suspend

#268 Post by Volhout »

Hi Marv,

tried your PET, but still no luck suspending. After 10 minutes the fan of my EeePC was still running. Maybe suspending does not work with a frugal install on USB ? Do I need to install on harddisk ?

Volhout

mavrothal

Re: suspend

#269 Post by mavrothal »

Volhout wrote:Hi Marv,

tried your PET, but still no luck suspending. After 10 minutes the fan of my EeePC was still running. Maybe suspending does not work with a frugal install on USB ? Do I need to install on harddisk ?

Volhout
Do you have a swap partition?
In some cases you may need to save memory to swap before suspend.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

SFR

#270 Post by SFR »

Volhout wrote:Maybe suspending does not work with a frugal install on USB ?
This might be the cause, but only if USB stick is mounted.
/etc/acpi/actions/suspend.sh script prevents suspending in such case:

Code: Select all

# do not suspend if usb media mounted
USBS=$(probedisk2|grep '|usb' | cut -d'|' -f1 )
for USB in $USBS
do
	mount | grep -q "^$USB" && exit
done
HTH
Greetings!

ally

#271 Post by ally »

@volhout

I wonder if is worth trying jemimah's fix from puppeee?
http://archive.org/download/PuppyLinuxP ... endfix.pet

:)

oldyeller

#272 Post by oldyeller »

OK, I am going to do deltas for the first time.

How do I do this?

Volhout

delta's

#273 Post by Volhout »

Hi Oldyeller,

Finally a question I can answer….

Make sure you run any recent puppy (i.e. Slacko 5.6)
Put the iso and the delta file in the same folder.
Make sure there is sufficient space in that folder.
Click on the delta file….confirm that you want to apply the delta to the iso…..wait…ready.

For the 5.6.5.2 you need to apply 2 delta's. So you temporary need space for 3 iso's: the org, the first update, the second update. After the process is done you can delete all except the final iso. Burn that to a USB or CD.

Good luck...

oldyeller

#274 Post by oldyeller »

thanks Volhout,

That worked my first delta is running great.

Hi mick, I am running slacko 5.6.5.2 and so far everything is working great will continue to test for the next couple of days. Where can I get the devs?

EDIT: I did apply the two deltas in order and now the ppm don't work/nothing downloads, maybe something went wrong when doing the deltas.

Cheers

Jades

#275 Post by Jades »

oldyeller wrote:I did apply the two deltas in order and now the ppm don't work/nothing downloads, maybe something went wrong when doing the deltas.
Try double-clicking the entries. It's a new 'feature'.

Frankly, I feel that change should be reverted on the grounds that it causes more confusion for little gain - and this is coming from someone who routinely turns off the single-click options in ROX.
Last edited by Jades on Fri 10 Jan 2014, 01:06, edited 1 time in total.
Zhaan - AMD K6 2 500, 512MB RAM, ATI Rage 128 VR. Full install Wary 5.5 [url=http://tinyurl.com/dy66kh8]HardInfo Report[/url]
Merlin - Core i5-4590, 8GB RAM, Radeon R9 270X. Slacko 5.7.0

Jades

#276 Post by Jades »

SFR wrote:Anyway, I was a little worried about this change, but you just confirmed my assumption that if single-click doesn't work, instincts tell you to try double-click
TBH you should probably revert it to the single click behaviour. The only way I managed to figure out I needed to double-click was when my repeated "nothing is happening" clicking managed to coincide with the double-click delay by accident.
Zhaan - AMD K6 2 500, 512MB RAM, ATI Rage 128 VR. Full install Wary 5.5 [url=http://tinyurl.com/dy66kh8]HardInfo Report[/url]
Merlin - Core i5-4590, 8GB RAM, Radeon R9 270X. Slacko 5.7.0

01micko

#277 Post by 01micko »

Jades, I'm inclined to agree with you. I know some of the esteemed senior members of our community dislike double click for various reasons; a notable one is Jim1911 (sorry can't find the post, iirc it was about FatDog package manager) and I'm sure Sage would have something to say too.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

mavrothal

#278 Post by mavrothal »

01micko wrote:members of our community dislike double click for various reasons.
Beyond like-dislike is indeed a bit awkward everything to be single click and PPM double click. Double click in PPM has is advantages but may be better to follow a global setting, which would be a nice feature BTW :wink:
Alternatively, a user-configurable option (with a small explanation) on first launch could be set.

Sage

#279 Post by Sage »

Sage would have something to say
Indeed! You have only to ask yourself, what moron introduced double clicking and why.
Let's make it rhetorical and give you some clues:
WG Greedy American Leverage

Say no more than delete it/him.

bigpup

#280 Post by bigpup »

PPM double click to download.

Found one thing it allows.
You can scroll down package list, with arrow keys on keyboard, and start download by pressing enter key.

For when your left mouse button finger gets overworked. :roll: :shock: 8)

Single click rules :!: :D
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)