How to change the default configuration of any application?

Using applications, configuring, problems
Raj

How to change the default configuration of any application?

#1 Post by Raj »

Hi All,

I would like to know how can I rearrange the default configurations of any installed application.

It may differ application-wise but any common link? I amusing foxit1.1. Wanted to put off the side navigational panel but every times it reappears. I also wanted to assign hotkeys to Hotshots screenshot programme & wanted to add it to boot, but failed.

I also want to copy pictures from Glipper clipboard management. But I can not copy & import the pictures from there.

Any help is highly requested.

Thanks,
Raj

musher0

#2 Post by musher0 »

Hello, Raj.

Most serious programs have a "preferences" item in their menu. That's where you
can specify what you like. For ex.
opera : sub-menu tools then -> preferences
geany : sub-menu edit then -> preferences

Doesn't FoxIt have a similar item?

Some programs save their configuration in /root/.config/< name of program >. If so,
you can then change the parameters directly from your text editor, but you must
know what you are doing
to change things directly like that. The usual and safest
way is from within the program's "preferences" utility.

Best of luck.

musher0
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

Raj

#3 Post by Raj »

Hello musher0,

Yes, Foxit has it & I already have changed that by opening foxit>preferences. But the option of removing navigation panel does not have its presence there.

Hotshots has preference. And I have used it. Assigned a hotkey (F12) but it does not work.

As a novice, I would prefer not to go for geany (editing) as it may break down the whole system.

Thanks,
Raj

nic007

#4 Post by nic007 »

Raj wrote:Hello musher0,

Yes, Foxit has it & I already have changed that by opening foxit>preferences. But the option of removing navigation panel does not have its presence there.

Hotshots has preference. And I have used it. Assigned a hotkey (F12) but it does not work.

As a novice, I would prefer not to go for geany (editing) as it may break down the whole system.

Thanks,
Raj
If the specific program does not have a specific option in it's preferences then I don't think you can do anything about it. It's program specific. Rather try another program that does provide the feature you are looking for. Also, if you run windows programs via WINE some preferences (options) may not work. Shortcut keys will in most cases not work (that's my experience anyway).

666philb

#5 Post by 666philb »

Hi Raj,

Copyq is a clipboard manager that can store pictures ... not sure what puppy your using but there's a precise version here that may work on other pups (requires QT) http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=91205

hotkeys are working for me in hotshots. also if you want hotshots to autostart at boot you'll need to drag & drop the hotshots binary to /root/startup and then choose 'link relative' when prompted ..... you'll find the hotshots binary either in /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

Raj

#6 Post by Raj »

Dear 666philb,

This is exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks. I'll try it & send you my feedback. I'm also using Precise.

I would look forward to hear how did you do it on hotshots. I'm sending you what I tried with hotshots:
Hotshots>Preferences>Hotkeys> I selected "Region" option & selected F12, removing other hotkey options (just clicked on the button aside).

Dear nic07,
I also thank you on your suggestion, but my previous examples were based on .pet files of foxit & hotshots -- not .exe (windows).

I also request you to share your experience with Wine, in case if you needed to tweak Wine by anyways.

Thanks,
Raj

666philb

#7 Post by 666philb »

Raj wrote:Dear 666philb,

I would look forward to hear how did you do it on hotshots. I'm sending you what I tried with hotshots:
Hotshots>Preferences>Hotkeys> I selected "Region" option & selected F12, removing other hotkey options (just clicked on the button aside).
yes i just set it in hotshot options .... i set it to alt+r pressed ok and it works
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

Raj

#8 Post by Raj »

Thanks 666philb. I have used your guidance & it's working in either cases now.