Mounting Android device in Puppy Linux

Using applications, configuring, problems
rmcellig

Mounting Android device in Puppy Linux

#1 Post by rmcellig »

I recently received a Nexus 7 and was wondering if it is possible to mount it like I do a regular USB drive.

dancytron

#2 Post by dancytron »

Every android device I've tried (mostly older phones) has mounted automatically in Puppy without installing anything. When you plug it in to the computer, you should get a USB notification of some kind on your Nexus. Open that and there will be a button to press to turn usb sharing on.

In windows xp, i've needed to install drivers for each brand of phone.

don570

#3 Post by don570 »

With Windows XP Professional SP3 I didn't have any problem
connecting a cheap Chinese Android tablet with the
included cable.

There's no need to install a driver because a USB mass storage driver
is already there.

rmcellig

#4 Post by rmcellig »

I booted into Puppy 5.2.8. Made sure the Nexus 7 was awake. Plugged it into the USB port on my laptop. Nothing happened. Didn't mount, and no notification. What should I do?

I tried in LXpup 13.11 as well with same results. Worked fine in Xubuntu 13.10 so I know that it works.

Thanks!

Ted Dog

#5 Post by Ted Dog »

keep us posted on your progress. there was an update mounter program posted last week as a pet

can8v

Re: Mounting Android device in Puppy Linux

#6 Post by can8v »

rmcellig wrote:I recently received a Nexus 7 and was wondering if it is possible to mount it like I do a regular USB drive.
This is not a flaw in Puppy or in your Nexus 7, it is a flaw in the general philosophy of the powers that be at Google. I have a Nexus 7 as well and the issue is that Puppy does not have MTD support. When you plug into the usb cable you will notice the Nexus 7 reports that it has been connected as a Media Device. Approximately 99.9% of Android devices will connect as a mass storage device, but not Google Nexus products. Shame on Google. Anyway, they set up the Nexus products to only support MTD and PTP connections via USB. Windoze supports MTD, but nothing else. Google supports Mac osX in a sort of half baked way, by providing an Android file transfer tool. In Linux land we have to get more creative, because the jerks at Google are trying to get everybody to store there stuff in their cloud products. I chose to use simple file sharing in puppy and connect wirelessly, as using the usb cable is a pain in the neck anyway. One could alternatively install a Samba server on the Nexus 7 (There are a couple of free ones in the Google Play store.) Then some folks have taken the approach of creating MTD support for their distro. Puppy already has PTP support (this is for cameras). If you select this on your Nexus 7 it will automatically connect to Puppy using Puppy's Pup Camera. Pup Camera is only marginally helpful unless all you intend to do is download pictures taken with your Nexus 7 to your computer using Puppy. Also I am not certain that all versions of Puppy have Pup Camera or similar. With all the puplets and such I would guess that some of them don't. For many folks that insist on connecting their nexus 4, 7, or 10 to their non-Windoze computer (including a great many Mac osX users and even some Windoze users) the solution is to root their Nexus product and install a custom ROM. If you decide to go that route, a cursory Google search will reveal a many great ROMs that far exceed the capabilities of the stock ROM and fairly easy instructions for getting the job done. For me the solution was keep the stock ROM (for now at least) and use Samba TNG with Simple File Sharing (both standard in Carolina 1.1) and also install a free Samba server on the Nexus 7 just in case I am out and about and want to connect to any computer anywhere, wirelessly, even if they don't use a computer that has SMB or equivalent. Anyway I have found that despite the lack of ports (ie. Micro SD, HDMI, etc) and USB restrictions imposed by Google in the design, the Nexus 7 is a superb product. It was the fastest 7inch tablet at the time I acquired it and has IMO the most beautiful screen. I think the idiocy at Google is worth overcoming.

mgraham

Another way

#7 Post by mgraham »

small program, ssh server from Ice Cold Apps.
load on Nexus, and then use gFTP program to access.
connect first with ssh ipaddress -p 49099 or what ever port you set

worked first try for me after I remembered to set the port.

watchdog

#8 Post by watchdog »

When using android I use this app to manage files on the device from a puppy pc browser by the connection with my wireless router:

http://airdroid.com/

Now using FirefoxOS.

cthisbear

#9 Post by cthisbear »

Airdroid needs an account....right??

And doesn't that account have costs??

I would try Teamviewer myself.
My son uses that on his Samsung.

For Windows I used >> WorthlessSpamware MobileGo for Android.
The free version.

http://www.android-manager.org/

As posted on Whirlpool...halfway down.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-re ... 316887&p=6

Truly...what a pain it was.
I did look for a Puppy approach.

Chris.

watchdog

#10 Post by watchdog »

cthisbear wrote:Airdroid needs an account....right??

And doesn't that account have costs??
http://forum.airdroid.com/discussion/94 ... an-account

When I used airdroid in a previous version I did not create an account and I never paid anything. If something is changed than I don't know.

tempestuous

#11 Post by tempestuous »

... of course, for direct connection to MTP devices there's always go-mtpfs
as discussed on this forum (and tested) last January -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=91442

watchdog

#12 Post by watchdog »

I have not tested 01micko's packages but I add this post here.

neerajkolte

#13 Post by neerajkolte »

I am using go-mtpfs and MTPconnect 0.9 on Tahrpup and Fatdog64.
They work well.
go-mtpfs has both 32bit and 64bit versions. Get one that suits you.
MTPconnect is same for 32bit and 64bit.

Thanks.

- Neeraj.
"One of my most productive days was throwing away 1000 lines of code."
- Ken Thompson

“We tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.â€￾
- Amara’s Law.