Google-Chrome in Fatdog64-621

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Yoliano

#1 Post by Yoliano »

Hi All,

I'm a new boy on the block. New to Fatdog64. I made a frugal install of Fatdog64-621.iso a few days ago. (The md5checksum matched OK). Then, from PPM, I installed: Firefox-24.0, Google-Chrome-29.0.1.547.65.pet, Google-Voice-Video, Audacity-2.0.0 (ANSI), and Galculator-1.3.4. Everything ran fast and smooth, except Google-Chrome, which would not launch. The name and icon appeared in the Internet menu, but were ineffective. I tried launching from the command line, but got the following message:
"/usr/bin/google-chrome: symbol lookup error: /usr/bin/google-chrome: undefined symbol: _XGetRequest"

I am not a geek and did not understand the message. So I uninstalled Google-Chrome .pet and installed the same packet, but from the .sfs list and loaded it wih the .sfs Loader from the Control Panel. Got exactly the same results, as above. I searched and scanned the forums but found nothing pertinent to this problem.

At this point I am up the creek and don't know how to resolve this problem. So, if someone more expert than I will be kind enough to give me some guidance, I will be very grateful, as I need G.Chrome.

I am not sure that I am sending this post to the right forum, but if not, please advise me.

I thank all the developers and contributors for this excellent project and congratulate them for its great quality.

Yoliano.

[/b]

WillM

#2 Post by WillM »

Hi Yoliano,
Maybe this post will help.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 838#736838

Yoliano

#3 Post by Yoliano »

Hi WillM

Thank you very much for your link. I installed Kirk's .pet file and g.chrome was able to launch immediately and gave me no problems.

Later, I installed the GTalk plugin directly from Google, (I have seen various posts on the forums where others have done this with successful results), and it worked without problems. But, when I rebooted my PC the following day, g.chrome again failed to launch. I checked the .sfs file and found it was loaded ok. The CLI gave the following message:

#goole-chrome
/usr/bin/google-chrome: error while loading shared libraries: libnss3.so: cannot open shared object file: no such file or directory

I understand this to mean that I need to install libnss3.so to enable g.chrome to launch. Searching I have found and downloaded the following source file:
nss-3.12.4-with-nspr-4.8.tar.gz
This needs to be compiled and I am not very good at that procedure. I have tried compiling on several occasions previously, but have never had success, ending with one or more errors that I could not resolve. This due to my lack of in-depth knowledge. So if anyone is willing to give me some guidance I would appreciate it greatly.

Yoliano

jamesbond

#4 Post by jamesbond »

libnss3.so is available in /usr/lib64/seamonkey, you don't need to compile anything.

Insert this line to your /etc/rc.local and reboot.

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/usr/lib64/seamonkey

and see if that helps.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

Yoliano

#5 Post by Yoliano »

Hi Jamesbond,

Many thanks for your very quick response. Due to the seasonal rush I have not been able to open my PC for several days, so I have not yet tried your proposal. I will do so as quickly as possible and report the results to you here.

A merry Christmas and happy New Year to you and all the Forum Community.

Yoliano

Yoliano

#6 Post by Yoliano »

Hi Jamesbond,

Sorry for the delay. I added your library path string to: /etc/rc.d/rc.local and saved the change, then rebooted my desktop PC. But nothing was changed. Google-Chrome still failed to launch from CLI and the same message, as before, was printed out. Perhaps I made a mistake in the editing, but I don't think so. I found I could not copy and paste your string in ROX, (am I missing something?), so I carefully typed it in and rechecked it a couple of times.

At this point I abandoned ship, finding myself out of my depth. I noticed your release of ftd64-630rc2, so I decided to test this situation in this new version. I got exactly the same result. But I noticed that, when I installed the GTalk plugin directly from Google, (64bit .deb), it appeared in the Seamonkey browser, complete with green camera icon. Testing it proved that it was functioning perfectly and I was able to have a video conversation with a contact in England, (I live in Colombia, S. America), which was the best ever! Full screen on a 21 inch monitor, with very acceptable sharpness, accurate colours and brightness and smooth movements. It was a knockout! I checked to see if the GTalk plugin was having any ill effects on other programs, but could find no evidence of that. So, I concluded that I don't now need Google-Chrome.

I am very surprised by this result because of previous experience. I had been using GTalk for about a year in Puppy Precise and P.Slacko, with direct installation of the plugin from Google, into Firefox. When, one day, I opened it to make a video call and a notice from Google appeared saying that I must update the plugin. Impatiently I did that. Then I received another notice from Google saying that they were no longer supporting other browsers and that to use GTalk I must install Google-Chrome. So I did so, but resenting the leverage and got on with my call. Now, it seems, they have reversed that policy! perhaps they discovered they were losing gmail clients. Or maybe it is all just an accident. Time will tell. I have written this detail because you and others may be interested.

For your information, I an having trouble configuring my printer in rc2, but I will post about that in the appropriate thread.

Many thanks for your interest and response.

Yoliano.