Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 24 Jul 2014, 06:48
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Mounting Android device in Puppy Linux
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]  
rmcellig

PostPosted: Mon 06 Jan 2014, 14:33    Post subject:  Mounting Android device in Puppy Linux  

I recently received a Nexus 7 and was wondering if it is possible to mount it like I do a regular USB drive.
dancytron

PostPosted: Mon 06 Jan 2014, 14:48    Post subject:  

Every android device I've tried (mostly older phones) has mounted automatically in Puppy without installing anything. When you plug it in to the computer, you should get a USB notification of some kind on your Nexus. Open that and there will be a button to press to turn usb sharing on.

In windows xp, i've needed to install drivers for each brand of phone.
don570

PostPosted: Mon 06 Jan 2014, 15:17    Post subject:  

With Windows XP Professional SP3 I didn't have any problem
connecting a cheap Chinese Android tablet with the
included cable.

There's no need to install a driver because a USB mass storage driver
is already there.

PostPosted: Mon 06 Jan 2014, 17:40    Post subject:  

I booted into Puppy 5.2.8. Made sure the Nexus 7 was awake. Plugged it into the USB port on my laptop. Nothing happened. Didn't mount, and no notification. What should I do?

I tried in LXpup 13.11 as well with same results. Worked fine in Xubuntu 13.10 so I know that it works.

Thanks!
Ted Dog

PostPosted: Mon 06 Jan 2014, 19:09    Post subject:  

keep us posted on your progress. there was an update mounter program posted last week as a pet
can8v

PostPosted: Tue 07 Jan 2014, 02:37    Post subject: Re: Mounting Android device in Puppy Linux  

rmcellig wrote:
I recently received a Nexus 7 and was wondering if it is possible to mount it like I do a regular USB drive.

This is not a flaw in Puppy or in your Nexus 7, it is a flaw in the general philosophy of the powers that be at Google. I have a Nexus 7 as well and the issue is that Puppy does not have MTD support. When you plug into the usb cable you will notice the Nexus 7 reports that it has been connected as a Media Device. Approximately 99.9% of Android devices will connect as a mass storage device, but not Google Nexus products. Shame on Google. Anyway, they set up the Nexus products to only support MTD and PTP connections via USB. Windoze supports MTD, but nothing else. Google supports Mac osX in a sort of half baked way, by providing an Android file transfer tool. In Linux land we have to get more creative, because the jerks at Google are trying to get everybody to store there stuff in their cloud products. I chose to use simple file sharing in puppy and connect wirelessly, as using the usb cable is a pain in the neck anyway. One could alternatively install a Samba server on the Nexus 7 (There are a couple of free ones in the Google Play store.) Then some folks have taken the approach of creating MTD support for their distro. Puppy already has PTP support (this is for cameras). If you select this on your Nexus 7 it will automatically connect to Puppy using Puppy's Pup Camera. Pup Camera is only marginally helpful unless all you intend to do is download pictures taken with your Nexus 7 to your computer using Puppy. Also I am not certain that all versions of Puppy have Pup Camera or similar. With all the puplets and such I would guess that some of them don't. For many folks that insist on connecting their nexus 4, 7, or 10 to their non-Windoze computer (including a great many Mac osX users and even some Windoze users) the solution is to root their Nexus product and install a custom ROM. If you decide to go that route, a cursory Google search will reveal a many great ROMs that far exceed the capabilities of the stock ROM and fairly easy instructions for getting the job done. For me the solution was keep the stock ROM (for now at least) and use Samba TNG with Simple File Sharing (both standard in Carolina 1.1) and also install a free Samba server on the Nexus 7 just in case I am out and about and want to connect to any computer anywhere, wirelessly, even if they don't use a computer that has SMB or equivalent. Anyway I have found that despite the lack of ports (ie. Micro SD, HDMI, etc) and USB restrictions imposed by Google in the design, the Nexus 7 is a superb product. It was the fastest 7inch tablet at the time I acquired it and has IMO the most beautiful screen. I think the idiocy at Google is worth overcoming.
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: