[Solved]remastered precise 5.7.1 broke konsole...

Using applications, configuring, problems
jtwdyp

[Solved]remastered precise 5.7.1 broke konsole...

#1 Post by jtwdyp »

I finally got my precise puppy 5.7.1 flash drive configured just right. So I figured it was time to remaster. I was making a personal use live dvd so when I was offered the chance to edit /tmp/root I put back in some personal stuff (like my email configuration). {The Idea is to be able to install fully configured puppy systems at will...} I burned the dvd, and used the universal installer to put it on another flashdrive...

Most everything is just how I want it. Except...

Once upon a time I was a kde user. I'm still addicted to konsole and yaluake X terminal programs. Both work perfectly on the precise 5.7.1 flash drive from which I remastered the live-dvd. As you can see, the PPM thinks both are installed:

But regardless of whether I've booted the remastered dvd, or the new flashdrive system, neither konsole, nor yakuake {which depends on konsole}
will start. To get a look at the error I tried to start console from uxterm's command line...

Anybody know how to fix this???
Last edited by jtwdyp on Thu 09 Jan 2014, 04:22, edited 1 time in total.
[color=brown][size=67]
--
JtWdyP

[/size][/color]

mikeb

#2 Post by mikeb »

dbus-uuidgen is the bunny though in your remaster you probably needed to copy over from /etc the machine-id file

/var/lib/dbus is where its normally generated though that would not be carried over either

check both locations..

mike

jtwdyp

#3 Post by jtwdyp »

mikeb wrote:dbus-uuidgen is the bunny though in your remaster you probably needed to copy over from /etc the machine-id file

/var/lib/dbus is where its normally generated though that would not be carried over either

check both locations..
Thanks for the quick response Mike. It's already a non-issue though, (at least with the flash drive.)

All I did was let it save the session, and on the next boot the problem spontaneously went away... Suddenly both konsole & yakuake work. :D

I suppose that if I give the dvd a pupsave file, they would start working with it as well.

How does that work BTW, Since it's not a multi session disk, I'd have to put the savefile elsewhere. How would it know where to find which savefile on what device???
[color=brown][size=67]
--
JtWdyP

[/size][/color]

mikeb

#4 Post by mikeb »

Unless you add parameters a save file search is done throughout your house and next doors... reason it can be slow...its playing 'guess the system config' boogie as otherwise known.

dbus normally creates the machine-id at boot if it does not exist....so only a slight hiccup cured as you have observed with a reboot.

mike

jtwdyp

#5 Post by jtwdyp »

mikeb wrote:Unless you add parameters a save file search is done throughout your house and next doors... reason it can be slow...its playing 'guess the system config' boogie as otherwise known.
So if it finds more than 1 savefile, does it guess which one, or offer the user a list to select from?

I have on occasion booted a slacko 5.6 live cd on a PC that also had one of my slacko 5.6 flash puppies plugged in doring start up. Some of them had savefiles on them. Since the live dvd searches "throughout my house and next doors", why wouldn't it have found the save file on the attached flashdrive? Just curious, I usually boot from the flash drive, and then it always seems to know where to look for it's save file.
dbus normally creates the machine-id at boot if it does not exist....so only a slight hiccup cured as you have observed with a reboot.
That kinda makes sense... And because Puppy recreates itself at boot time, I'm thinking, the reason the first reboot didn't do it was that until I actualy saved a session it kept recreating the "hiccup" ?!?
[color=brown][size=67]
--
JtWdyP

[/size][/color]

mikeb

#6 Post by mikeb »

A list...probably...it used too.

boot parameters will cause devices to be ignored...installers tend to include them. pmedia= pdev1= and so on.... a distro thats can't make up its mind what it is :D

mike