How to use HP 3070A wireless printer/scanner?

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
Paul Earland

How to use HP 3070A wireless printer/scanner?

#1 Post by Paul Earland »

Hello. Using Slacko Puppy 5.4 and HP wireless printer/Scanner 3070A.

I have set up wireless printer and it works fine from my computer. Not sure how to get scanner to work? To be honest have not ever used scanner even when using windows, although it did function OK. Just like things to work!
Thanks. Paul

rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

What driver did you use to set up printing?

Do you also have a scanner driver installed? As a test, connect your printer directly by USB and run some scanner tests. Note that the Scan buttons on the unit don't work with Linux - you need to run a scanning program like Xsane or Peasyscan.

To handle wireless scanning, you will need to use Peasyscan. It's in Slacko 5.4.

Go to its Help and read the section about configuration files and HP printers.

This can be a bit tricky to set up. Please report back if you need more help.

I notice that HP does not list the Deskjet 3070A as a supported Linux model. What model did you choose in CUPS? This may be a problem with getting the scanner component to work.

Paul Earland

#3 Post by Paul Earland »

Tried running printer directly connected using USB. Computer does not even detect I have anything connected to it. The driver I was trying was the hplip-scan-3.12.10a from the packet manager, which is why I went of topic and asked my other question regarding the downloading from the package manager.

Regarding setting up my printer I went: menu-setup-wizard-cups printer wizard-need help no-cups for administrators-adding printers and classes-find new printers. Printer was detected-add this printer-clicked on HP printer. As my printer was not listed I clicked on any cups+gutenprint v5.2.9(en) printer-on General click on set default options. My printer then worked without any problems. But not the scanner!
Thanks. Paul

rcrsn51

#4 Post by rcrsn51 »

Which printer model did you select out of the list of Gutenprint choices? Go back into CUPS and look at the properties of the printer.

Like I said, your 3070A is not a supported model, so I'm not surprised that the scanning software did not detect it.

Paul Earland

#5 Post by Paul Earland »

Model I selected was HP Deskjet Series (EN) only because the HP3070A is part of the B611 series! In fact I think they all work for printing but not the scanning. Peasyscan image scanner just says No Scanner Detected.

There is a lot on different Linux pages about not being able to get this scanner to work. Some people suggest you just go down the list until you find one that does work on scanning!

Paul

Paul Earland

#6 Post by Paul Earland »

Hi. Thanks for help in trying to get scanner to work. Have now given up getting it to work. Looking at all the linux pages using Google it is obvious that this is a problem that is very common. Even in the instructions that came with the printer for Windows usage, they dont give much information for setting up the scanner. In windows 7 it depends on a pop up box that allows you to communicate with the printer and ask it to scan a document etc. The ability to "talk" to the printer from the computer is what I cant find in Puppy.
Thanks. Paul

dongmf

linux driver available now

#7 Post by dongmf »

to whom it may concern:

i stumbled upon this thread when looking for install instructions for this printer on puppy linux (just installed puppy today)

i noticed the hp website offers a linux driver (nov 2013)

haven't tried it myself, but i thought to give you a heads up, just in case.. :)

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/soft ... ct=5068754

greets

rcrsn51

#8 Post by rcrsn51 »

HPLIP still only supports the Deskjet 3070-b611 series. So I would assume that the 3070A is not supported. You may find a compatible Deskjet model for the printer, but the scanner won't work.