usb pcmcia cards in puppy linux

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
sindi

usb pcmcia cards in puppy linux

#1 Post by sindi »

I have a laptop with unusable USB ports and three pcmcia cards with USB ports, all cardbus, designed for the era of laptops new enough to have cardbus but old enough not to have USB ports (around 200-266MHz).

1) D-Link USB 2.0 DUB-C2 - said to work out of the box with Debian, Ubuntu, and Fedora Core 4 - has 2 USB ports

2) ADS technologies USB Port for notebooks (there are WIn98 drivers) - 2 USB ports plus a plug-in cord that provides PS/2 in and out (?)

3) Best Connectivity Combo 2.0 Cardbus - came to us in a PCI card.
This one has a port for probably AC power, two USB ports, one firewire port, and one mini-USB or maybe mini-firewire port.

None of them detected a known good USB flash drive in Puppy 4.3.1 retro, or in Wary 5.5. The third card also seems to have crashed Wary - someone else reported it crashing their laptop in Windows.

Can someone help me get the D-Link working with Puppy Linux? Do I need to download a linux driver?

In the meantime I am copying files via another computer on the network using a webserver (mini_httpd on the other computer).

sindi

#2 Post by sindi »

The card with PS/2 plug needed to get its power from the PS/2 port and it now works automatically
in puppy 4.3.1 and the flash drive plugged into it is automatically mounted. I got a blue light
on the USB drive when I plugged it in.

The card that has a small hole for AC power adaptor most likely needs a 5V power supply to work.

The card that does not call for external power does not work in Puppy or even in XP (it is not
recognized in either) and may be dead.

One is enough. I can even plug a PS/2 keyboard into the pcmcia card's cable.