PcurlFTP issue (SOLVED)

Using applications, configuring, problems
hansol

PcurlFTP issue (SOLVED)

#1 Post by hansol »

Hi guys,

Just wanted run this by the forum and see if I can't get some help:

I'm using a combination of PcurlFTP and gFTP running in Precise Puppy to create/access shared folders on a network. The setup works fine as long as you log in as Root. When you try to log in as a different user, eg username = Test1, a connection can't be established.If you go back and try Root, no problem.

Now, interestingly enough, this problem appears to be specific to the Precise distribution: The Slacko distribution, using the same process as above, WILL allow you to log in under other user names.

Does anyone have any idea why this would be? Again, if I boot the same machine using Precise, I can't use other user logins; If I boot that same machine with Slacko, no problems. (I've also used a separate installation of Precise on a different machine just to confirm it wasn't settings I had in the Precise installation on Machine #1 that were the issue. Machine #2 running Precise had the same problem; and when booted with Slacko, no problem.)

Any idea how to fix this? I kinda need to be able to log in using separate user names...
Last edited by hansol on Wed 08 Jan 2014, 04:36, edited 1 time in total.

npierce

#2 Post by npierce »

PcurlFTP depends upon pure-ftpd, which needs the /etc/shells file to determine if a file is a valid user shell.

Create a file with the following text and save it as "/etc/shells".

Code: Select all

/bin/sh
/bin/bash
/bin/ash
If you have any other user shells in your Puppy, you could also list those. But /bin/bash is probably the one you need in this case, since that is the shell usually assigned to a user by busybox adduser. When editing the file, be sure to hit Enter, if necessary, to properly end the last line, or pure-ftpd may hang because it can't find the end of the /etc/shells file.

hansol wrote:Now, interestingly enough, this problem appears to be specific to the Precise distribution: The Slacko distribution, using the same process as above, WILL allow you to log in under other user names.
Yes, last July I reported the need for this file in what were then the current Precise and Slacko bug threads (Precise 5.6.9 (5.7beta1): Missing /etc/shells file and Slacko 5.5 feedback and bug reports: Missing /etc/shells file). Slacko's developer (01micko) soon fixed it in Slacko. It wasn't fixed in Precise. But recently 01micko added it to woof-CE, so it should be in future Puppies. And Barry suggested the addition of the /bin/ash line, which was soon added to woof-CE by mavrothal.

For more information see my post in the following thread:

adduser and pure-ftpd

hansol

#3 Post by hansol »

npierce,

Thank you sir. Your bit about inserting the "shell" file fixed everything and FTP sharing with different users works just like it is supposed to. Thanks again -Hansol

01micko

#4 Post by 01micko »

bad spam
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

npierce

#5 Post by npierce »

Hansol,

You're welcome. I'm glad to know it worked for you.