Java and Opera Mini

Using applications, configuring, problems
nic007

Re: Java and Opera Mini

#41 Post by nic007 »

samira wrote:I did manage to try operamini.pet (v6.5) and google+chrome.jar (a modded opera mini 4.2) last night. I notice that v4.2 was much more speedy in loading pages even with graphic, but v6.5 was unable to load it fast, with 2 tabs open. any reasin for this? the connection speed was a basic 64 kbps one.
My Opera Mini 7 is very fast. It depends on your connection speed. Yours is very low, imagine how long that will take to open a web page in a normal browser. Make sure the picture setting is set to low resolution in Opera Mini.

nic007

#42 Post by nic007 »

mikeb wrote:Well multiple levels of emulation do take their toll on the electricity bill.

Again jme2 running directly on elf would be a better way but I know not if it exists (is it closed source?)... otherwise why use such as microemulator.

It may be related to the commercial aspect of the whole smart phone apps world... easier to prevent users getting files on a phones embedded system than on a pc.

ok old javas for puppy
http://dotpups.de/dotpups/Libraries/
there are 3 in there...rename pup to zip to get at the files if they won't install.

note from oracle the java ME downloads only appear to have SDK for windows and Macs but I get the feeling you would have something similar to microemulator in the end.

Ok straight from my oracle account as an ace pilot :D the last release of 1.4 installer bin....I might have a play myself :)
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/110545536/Misc/ ... x-i586.bin

mike
Mike, have you tried that older JRE with microemulator/opera mini? Don't want to download it and it doesn't work properly. BTW, how about making a .pet or SFS of this available.

mikeb

#43 Post by mikeb »

No... I just grabbed it on request.

But will try it out of interest.

mike

nic007

#44 Post by nic007 »

mikeb wrote:No... I just grabbed it on request.

But will try it out of interest.

mike
Why are we always posting the same time? Make an SFS file or pet file available if you please, thanks

mikeb

#45 Post by mikeb »

Because indigestion from the night before won't let me sleep

mike

mikeb

#46 Post by mikeb »

Ok slick build time...yes the bin did not install so I did it manually.

Its a sfs3 tested on puppy 4.12 ....sfs convert for others.
I left out the browser plugin as it prevented the browser launching...not surprising really as its made for ns6....probably ok for firefox 1-1.5
Runs microemulator just fine.
Unsure if the file saving hack will work with this java.

Just install the sfs and run...no reboot necessary.

mike
removed due to lack of apparent need and i want the space back.
Last edited by mikeb on Wed 20 May 2015, 10:55, edited 1 time in total.

nic007

#47 Post by nic007 »

mikeb wrote:Ok slick build time...yes the bin did not install so I did it manually.

Its a sfs3 tested on puppy 4.12 ....sfs convert for others.
I left out the browser plugin as it prevented the browser launching...not surprising really as its made for ns6....probably ok for firefox 1-1.5
Runs microemulator just fine.
Unsure if the file saving hack will work with this java.

Just install the sfs and run...no reboot necessary.

mike
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/110545536/Puppy ... .2_uni.sfs
Thanks, I'll try it. Pity it has grown to 20MB in size. Wonder if that lite version (found in the links that you posted earlier) will work.

mikeb

#48 Post by mikeb »

that is the 1.4.2 version...extracted the bin and made a sfs..... the former will be using higher compression thats all.

mike

oh the pups...not sure what they cut out of those..... the bulk of the size are the runtime jars.

edit...makes a 12MB sfs ...its an older version and everythings a bit smaller... I grabbed the last 1.4.2 release on the 'it might have less bugs' approach

mikeb

#49 Post by mikeb »

hmm the pup has no midi, and removed locale support and probably one or 2 other bits that it can run without..... could be used as a template perhaps though won't affect load and run times and memory usage as such.

mike

nic007

#50 Post by nic007 »

mikeb wrote:hmm the pup has no midi, and removed locale support and probably one or 2 other bits that it can run without..... could be used as a template perhaps though won't affect load and run times and memory usage as such.

mike
So, would you say giving that 10MB JRE 142 lite pup a go would be worthwhile? Not sure what other JRE 142 pub you are referring to, that's also about 20MB.

mikeb

#51 Post by mikeb »

The words.VERY UNSTABLE on one of the blackdowns put me off using the pups.

Also that 10 mb one is not usable as such... ie its the uninstalled set of files

See how the one I made runs...then stripping could be done to that

mike

nic007

#52 Post by nic007 »

mikeb wrote:The words.VERY UNSTABLE on one of the blackdowns put me off using the pups.

Also that 10 mb one is not usable as such... ie its the uninstalled set of files

See how the one I made runs...then stripping could be done to that

mike
Okay, basically only need JRE to run microemulator and opera mini and to display java templates in html eg. Java calculators (working graphs and such).

mikeb

#53 Post by mikeb »

Ok back now...had to go out and get warm in a few shops.

So one question from earlier..can you enable file downloads using the older java?

mike

samira

Java and Opera Mini

#54 Post by samira »

Dear all,
Since I was able to run the operamini.pet which is version 6.5, I tried out a few others (including version 4.2, 4.4, 4.5, 5.1 and 7.1). Although I had not much problems running it with ver 4.5, I do notice that when I run ver 5.1 and 7.1, the whole menu bar becomes very large and not suitable for viewing properly. Notice how big the icons are in the attached screenshot. Any way to fix this?
And also the fonts, are the fonts dependant on what version of Opera Mini I'm running? Version 5.1 has only medium and large fonts, whereas version 4.5 has small, medium and large. I would like to have smaller fonts as well.
I tried looking into the .microemulator directory and found dome .rs files, although leafpad displays a blank file when opened, if I open it with cat filename.rs in rxvt, all I get is garbled text.

P/s: I can't save files too, even after modifying the config files with the parameters to enabled filesystem access.
Attachments
x.jpg
(31.89 KiB) Downloaded 259 times

01micko

#55 Post by 01micko »

sorry .. trying to divert attn away from bad spam
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access