Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 20 Apr 2014, 05:27
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
PcurlFTP issue (SOLVED)
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]  
hansol

PostPosted: Tue 07 Jan 2014, 20:33    Post subject:  PcurlFTP issue (SOLVED)  

Hi guys,

Just wanted run this by the forum and see if I can't get some help:

I'm using a combination of PcurlFTP and gFTP running in Precise Puppy to create/access shared folders on a network. The setup works fine as long as you log in as Root. When you try to log in as a different user, eg username = Test1, a connection can't be established.If you go back and try Root, no problem.

Now, interestingly enough, this problem appears to be specific to the Precise distribution: The Slacko distribution, using the same process as above, WILL allow you to log in under other user names.

Does anyone have any idea why this would be? Again, if I boot the same machine using Precise, I can't use other user logins; If I boot that same machine with Slacko, no problems. (I've also used a separate installation of Precise on a different machine just to confirm it wasn't settings I had in the Precise installation on Machine #1 that were the issue. Machine #2 running Precise had the same problem; and when booted with Slacko, no problem.)

Any idea how to fix this? I kinda need to be able to log in using separate user names...

Last edited by hansol on Wed 08 Jan 2014, 00:36; edited 1 time in total
npierce

PostPosted: Wed 08 Jan 2014, 00:21    Post subject:  

PcurlFTP depends upon pure-ftpd, which needs the /etc/shells file to determine if a file is a valid user shell.

Create a file with the following text and save it as "/etc/shells".
Code:
/bin/sh
/bin/bash
/bin/ash

If you have any other user shells in your Puppy, you could also list those. But /bin/bash is probably the one you need in this case, since that is the shell usually assigned to a user by busybox adduser. When editing the file, be sure to hit Enter, if necessary, to properly end the last line, or pure-ftpd may hang because it can't find the end of the /etc/shells file.

hansol wrote:
Now, interestingly enough, this problem appears to be specific to the Precise distribution: The Slacko distribution, using the same process as above, WILL allow you to log in under other user names.

Yes, last July I reported the need for this file in what were then the current Precise and Slacko bug threads (Precise 5.6.9 (5.7beta1): Missing /etc/shells file and Slacko 5.5 feedback and bug reports: Missing /etc/shells file). Slacko's developer (01micko) soon fixed it in Slacko. It wasn't fixed in Precise. But recently 01micko added it to woof-CE, so it should be in future Puppies. And Barry suggested the addition of the /bin/ash line, which was soon added to woof-CE by mavrothal.

For more information see my post in the following thread:

adduser and pure-ftpd
hansol

PostPosted: Wed 08 Jan 2014, 00:35    Post subject:  

npierce,

Thank you sir. Your bit about inserting the "shell" file fixed everything and FTP sharing with different users works just like it is supposed to. Thanks again -Hansol
01micko

PostPosted: Wed 08 Jan 2014, 10:34    Post subject:  

bad spam
npierce

PostPosted: Fri 10 Jan 2014, 18:04    Post subject:  

Hansol,

You're welcome. I'm glad to know it worked for you.
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: