precise5.7.1Both firefox & seamonkey claim:default browser?

Using applications, configuring, problems
jtwdyp

precise5.7.1Both firefox & seamonkey claim:default browser?

#1 Post by jtwdyp »

I like my recent Puppy Precise 5.7.1 on flashdrive well enough to customize A few things more like my mainstream hard drive Linux installations, including a copy of my personal LOCALFILE home page...

When I got around to setting this file as my home page in seamonkey, I was surprized to notice that seamonkey reported itself to be my default browser.
(I had thought that Firefox had been so set...) But:
seamonkey wrote: Image
So I opened Firefox expecting it to ask if I wanted it to set it self back up as default. But it didn't ask because:
firefox wrote: Image
:?
I use both browsers. But there are some things for which I want the extra protection provided by the firefox addon "noscript" Which includes any pages I haven't thought about enough to feel safe with...

Also when if I wind up on an untrusted page with seamonkey {which doesn't have noscript} I feel a need to close my puppy session without saving ram to pupsave. Which isn't conveiniant if I've already got stuff I want to save.

Hence I want firefox to be my default browser NOT seamonkey... Yet I note that regardless of which browser last reported it was default, If I click on the generic "browse" desktop icon, I get seamonkey? :shock:

Does Puppy ignore the standard method browsers use to determine which browser is the default?
Last edited by jtwdyp on Thu 09 Jan 2014, 04:19, edited 1 time in total.
[color=brown][size=67]
--
JtWdyP

[/size][/color]

watchdog

#2 Post by watchdog »

Open with geany /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser and change "exec seamonkey" with "exec firefox". Then right-click the saved bookmarks html and click Set Run Action. Choose:

Code: Select all

defaultbrowser "$@"
Last edited by watchdog on Thu 09 Jan 2014, 08:19, edited 1 time in total.

jtwdyp

#3 Post by jtwdyp »

watchdog wrote:Open with geany /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser and change "exec seamonkey" with "exec firefox".
So far so good...
Then right-click the saved bookmarks html and click Set Run Action: choose "defaultbrowser $@".
What "saved bookmarks html"????? :?

Since I didn't know what the 2nd part was about (I even did the edit with that {yuck it's a gui text editor eyiew} geany instead of using my preferred vim just in case this "bookmark html" had something to do with why you specified which editor... But I still couldn't find any such thing to rightclick on...

And part two must be important cause puppy is still using seamonkey to open man documents...
[color=brown][size=67]
--
JtWdyP

[/size][/color]

watchdog

#4 Post by watchdog »

watchdog wrote:
Then right-click the saved bookmarks html and click Set Run Action: choose "defaultbrowser $@".
What "saved bookmarks html"????? :?
Do you save your bookmarks in a html file? Click in your browser Bookmarks, and export your bookmarks in a html file where you want. You could right-click on a html file file of your choice, a saved page from internet for example. But perhaps you have to do something else. At Menu-Setup I have Default applications chooser where you should change your default browser from seamonkey to firefox. Change to firefox your HTML viewer, too.

jtwdyp

#5 Post by jtwdyp »

jtwdyp wrote: What "saved bookmarks html"????? :?
watchdog wrote: Do you save your bookmarks in a html file?
Actually I usually go with the .json files... Else I save links in a browser independent text file I view/edit via less/vim from called by pathname via bash script ~/bin/mbm...
watchdog wrote:Click in your browser Bookmarks, and export your bookmarks in a html file where you want. You could right-click on a html file file of your choice, a saved page from internet for example.
Ahhh ANY html file... Though I'm betting it would have had to be rox displaying the file when I'd have rightclicked on it... At least, that is the "set run action" menu choice doesn't appear if I right click on such a fiie in thunar for example, and certainly not from my file manager of choice mc. :wink:
watchdog wrote:But perhaps you have to do something else. At Menu-Setup I have Default applications chooser where you should change your default browser from seamonkey to firefox. Change to firefox your HTML viewer, too.
Yeah, that was it! I basically solved all such default settings by running this command with my thinking cap on:

Code: Select all

vim  /usr/local/bin/default*
Thanks for the clues. :D
[color=brown][size=67]
--
JtWdyP

[/size][/color]