How to use Dell b1160w laser printer in Slacko? (Solved)

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
puppylinuxuser

How to use Dell b1160w laser printer in Slacko? (Solved)

#1 Post by puppylinuxuser »

Hi, new to the forums but i've been using puppy for awhile now.

my setup currently is slacko loaded onto an SD card that I simply pop out when i need to use windows. traditionally I would make a partition for linux on the harddrive but for this laptop i decided to leave the harddrive alone.

I changed the settings around so puppy doesn't save anything to the save file unless i tell it to on shut down with a prompt.

that way i start with a fresh slate each time or I can save my build if I add programs etc.

It works great, just the way I want....except I can't get my dell B1160w laser printer working. everything seems to go as planned in setup but the printer doesn't print a test page (lights go on like there is communication)

slacko sees it via usb but there are no dell printers in the listings and none of the generic ppds work.

I also downloaded the unified linux driver dell offers and tried to use the ppd on that.

i'm stuck.

the printer also has wifi but I haven't been able to get that work with the wireless guides

it also has wifi-direct. can a computer print to a printer via wifi-direct or is it reserved for mobile devices?

With other printers I've had to use another models ppd (after finding this info online) but I can't find anything like that for the b1160w.

I can't find who the printer is made by then dell branded

any advice?

thanks

rcrsn51

Re: any help with dell b1160w laser printer?

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

puppylinuxuser wrote:I can't find who the printer is made by then dell branded
It's a Samsung ML2165W.

A PPD is just a configuration text file. It is rarely sufficient to install a printer. That's why the Dell driver package you downloaded contains all that other stuff.

For information about printing in Puppy, go here. It will take you to the Samsung driver page. Download the samsung_print-4.01.17.pet and install your Dell as an ML2160 Series printer.

Please report back.

puppylinuxuser

Re: any help with dell b1160w laser printer?

#3 Post by puppylinuxuser »

rcrsn51 wrote:
puppylinuxuser wrote:I can't find who the printer is made by then dell branded
It's a Samsung ML2165W.

A PPD is just a configuration text file. It is rarely sufficient to install a printer. That's why the Dell driver package you downloaded contains all that other stuff.

For information about printing in Puppy, go here. It will take you to the Samsung driver page. Download the samsung_print-4.01.17.pet and install your Dell as an ML2160 Series printer.

Please report back.
thank you, i did as you described and it works!

i really appreciate the help