How to install stuff in Mint on a 128 MB Power PC?

Using applications, configuring, problems
.israel.

How to install stuff in Mint on a 128 MB Power PC?

#1 Post by .israel. »

I have read a few posts off and on here about PPC puppy, and it looks dead.
So, I want to know if all the "Pup"ification tools can be made into a Debian package, or packages. Mainly, I want to use JWM and ROX in the most slimmed down environment I can. I have a PPC with Debian (Mint PPC really) and I have JWM and ROX installed, however I miss having the theming tool for JWM and the nice things added to ROX so I can have automountable USB/CD/DVD/etc... with a nice icon. I miss the nice wallpaper changer, the panel applets, etc..
So, is there a way these scripts/programs can be packaged?
More important still... could this eventually be something where we install a mini Debian ISO on PPC and boot yaboot with something like
auto url=puppylinux.com

My PPC is SOOOOOOOOOOOO SLOOOOOOWWWWWW and I know Puppy would fly on it (plus my kids really like the Puppy backgrounds).

I know Puppy is based off of Ubuntu (at least Precise Puppy), so even a mini Ubuntu iso could serve as a base for PowerPup.

I am not a newbie to GNU/Linux, and have used a few distros through the years. I am willing to help compiling, converting, packaging, etc...
I am not extremely well versed in Bash, or any other programming languages yet (though I am studying C++).

These old iBooks work out of the box with MintPPC, but the speed of the system is almost unbearable. I know I could use Puppy on it with very little problem (the RAM is 128... so it might have to be a pretty slim pup)

Any links or info would be greatly appreciated!!!

EdD

#2 Post by EdD »

Hmmmmm.... i just found a mini-CD of MiniPuppy 2.02, from '07 or thereabouts, I don't remember. Raffy sent it to me, so maybe he'll know of a repository that has the iso.

If I'm remembering right, he sent it to me to try out on a laptop with very little RAM. Sorry I don't remember more about it. i can post the readme file here if you like. LMK.

Regards,
Ed.

.israel.

#3 Post by .israel. »

Well, I reinstalled a plain old Debian on it (no GUI) installed slim JWM, and ROX, so it is 'similar' to Puppy, though there is no indicator for the desktop when media devices are hot-plugged. I installed usb-automount (pmount) so they are mounted automatically when plugged in....

The main thing about this is the Power PC processor. No Puppy runs on Power PC (please correct me if I am wrong), and I want to Pup-ify Debian, or make a PowerPup on that PC...

EdD

#4 Post by EdD »

"
The main thing about this is the Power PC processor. No Puppy runs on Power PC "

oops, sorry. I misread your post, and also knew diddly doo-dah about Power PC processors. ;-) I'll just hush up over here.

.israel.

#5 Post by .israel. »

Yeah, I know diddy do dah about them as well.....
Except that there is no Puppy for it, and I want there to be. If that isn't possible then I want the tools that Puppy uses to slim down and make Rox awesome. I'd also like the JWM theme manager, if possible.
Do you know where that is, or who I could ask, or how I could find out? I am not sure what to duckduckgo for as there isn't a whole lot of JWM/ROX How-To's.

EdD

#6 Post by EdD »

Israel, there's a lot of help here:

http://www.smokey01.com/menu/

The linkbar at the top of the page links to repository lists. The home link takes you to the main page discussions. Many great Puppy developers/compilers have their source codes, iso's, packages, etc. on that server.

The beginner's forum has this page:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=115

Which has links to lots of pages of repositories, and stuff.

I won't be surprised to find out later that you've made your own puppy for PPC. Good hunting.

Regards,
Ed

cthisbear

#7 Post by cthisbear »

" Could this eventually be something where we install a mini Debian ISO "

Not Puppy.

But on our forum.

Probably has most things you want.

Light-Debian-Core-Live-CD-Wheezy + Porteus-Wheezy

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=90660

Edit: 29.12.2013:
The new base is uploaded: Wneezy-Light-Downgrade-2kernels.iso
- 115 Mb

http://www.smokey01.com/saintless/Light-Wheezy/

vmlinuz1 = old hardware (no-pae).

vmlinuz2 = new hardware + more than 4 Gb RAM support.

Also.>> Light-Debian-Core-Live-nopae.iso >> 67M

http://www.smokey01.com/saintless/

Read up first...I hope it helps.

" All from last IcEwm-Wheezy is included

+ Frisbee WiFi network manager + Rox-filer, GtkDialog + all

dependencies, Mtpaint, IsoMaster, Xarchiver, ntfs-3g rebuilded in initrd.img, Lxrandr (resize screen resolution GUI),

galculator (portable version much smaller than installing with apt-get). "

Chris.

.israel.

#8 Post by .israel. »

Ok, that is a lot of info, I have been reading up and booting into puppy on my other machine to check out those files, and look at some of those scripts. I will have to heavily modify some things in order for it to work for Debian.

It seems possible to me, that there could be something like

Code: Select all

puppy-desktop
in Debian which would pull in the dependencies and other Puppy packages, or there could be a way to install puppy through the Debian installer via yaboot
for example: (i know I already said this)

Code: Select all

boot: auto url=puppylinux.com
which goes through and ONLY installs the needed things, and runs some scripts to trim the fat.

Thanks for those extra links, I posted on that thread you listed and it looks like that will offer some of the things I hope to include on my ppc!![/code]