PBurn does not work with TSST SH-S223Q as external drive

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
starhawk

PBurn does not work with TSST SH-S223Q as external drive

#1 Post by starhawk »

Hey, got an interesting doozy here. This is on my netbook (ASUS 1000HEB) with Upup Raring 3992. I can't seem to burn an ISO with PBurn and a particular external optical drive.

Background:
A long time ago I had a Samsung external optical drive -- it used a desktop SATA optical drive with a SATA->USB converter PCB and a laptop-style power brick. Stopped working reliably... long story short the 12v output on the brick was dropping 24v no-load. Whoopsie. Took the thing apart, kept everything but the housing. Drive got killed like a year later by the death of a cheap power supply (one of those single-Molex drive tester supplies from eBay -- total POS). Eventually I replaced the drive's original power supply and the drive itself. Threw it into a box and it works fine in Windows.

Problem:
When trying to burn ISOs with PBurn it fails miserably. Of the four times I tried, here's what happened --
Attempt #1 -- didn't even get to the starting countdown -- as soon as the drive and PBurn started talking to each other BOOM! fatal error.
Attempt #2 -- failed similarly, but waited this time until burning started.
Attempt #3 -- like #2 except that it got all the way to 1% progress on the burning.
Attempt #4 -- command or something timed out in the last 10mb of burning the ISO. PBurn tried to recover and failed, so it gave me a nasty error message and died instead.

More info:
I have been told, by a member here who has not posted in a long time (Lookinglass360) that he has had significant problems with PBurn and HP optical drives. Most of these drives would, in fact, be TSST brand -- I've seen a lot of those in other major-OEM systems as well. The interesting thing is that the TSST drive in question here is NOT an OEM drive -- I got it used (from a member of another forum) and the previous owner never took the Newegg packing list sticker off the bottom of the drive (it'd take a gallon of Goo Gone to do it, which is probably why it's still there...). This is a retail drive.

It occurs to me that although the controller card itself is probably not the issue... this drive is the only SATA optical drive I have AFAIK, and I don't think I've used it with Puppy before. It could be that PBurn simply doesn't like SATA drives...

Has anyone else experienced a similar problem, be it with TSST brand drives, or with SATA optical drives in general...?

starhawk

#2 Post by starhawk »

This could've actually resulted from a corrupt FS. Was having issues with that. I'll test the drive in CaroLite 1.1... later...

Ted Dog

#3 Post by Ted Dog »

my TSST brand drive in my larger laptop is iffy as well. Sometimes the lens has a speck of dust that causes this.. Check multisession subform for the how too clean the wrong way or products to clean it for you. :o

Also the setup like you described is problematic on the face of it. I only setup such a thing as a last resort. :shock:

also

growisofs -Z /dev/sr0=nameof.iso

from a command line is all you need to burn a dvd. That way you will see all error messages and warnings ..

starhawk

#4 Post by starhawk »

Never had trouble with it before... besides, my usual "external CD Burner" is an internal IDE desktop drive hooked up to a single-molex power supply and a USB-to-IDE-and-SATA adapter! Having an actual enclosure puts that drive above my usual fare quite a bit...

w/e it was probably a product of a dying Upup.

FWIW I'm trying out XSlacko right now. Haven't done the delta thing so it's still at v.1.0, but it's behaving nicely. It does take up almost half my ram just with seamonkey having two tabs tho... I may swap this SSD out for a platter drive later, so that I can have some swap. I don't DARE put swap on an SSD!

rcrsn51

#5 Post by rcrsn51 »

starhawk wrote:w/e it was probably a product of a dying Upup.
but it's behaving nicely.
So you should change the title of this thread to something more informative.

Ted Dog

#6 Post by Ted Dog »

also there is a big gap between what version of tools provided by wolf builds and pBurn. could be a version problem. The direct line I gave above doesnt fix the mismatch. But based on my experience its a hardware issue. try reducing other IO running from source harddrive

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#7 Post by Flash »

I used to sometimes have trouble burning an iso from a USB flash drive onto a DVD until I started copying the iso to /tmp before burning it.

Pelo

Multissesion ok, my first session was recorded,

#8 Post by Pelo »

I dont burn DVD anymore, excepted to keep archived Puppy Linux as greyhound Lina007.
DVD-RW Verbatim erased.
What time lost. I suppose My DVD-player is too old now to burn anything well (Medion P7624). I bought an external Samsung DVD Writer. With it, Pburn does the job.
I am surprised not to find a specific topic about DVDs in hardware category.
Multissesion ok, my first session was recorded, but do not load at boot..
Video tapes are no longer produced. Within five years DVDs will know same fortune.
Pendrives are easy to use.. Until when production will last ?
Session not loaded at boot Information queued to Carolina topic, but i am sure it's Carolina is not Guilty;

Flash
Official Dog Handler

Re: Multissesion ok, my first session was recorded,

#9 Post by Flash »

Pelo wrote:Multissesion ok, my first session was recorded, but do not load at boot..
Session not loaded at boot Information queued to Carolina topic, but i am sure it's Carolina is not Guilty;
I think this is a common problem with laptops, but rare in desktops. With all Puppys (that can do multisession.) Something about those laptop DVD drives is different...