Need full Intel GMA X4500MHD driver

Using applications, configuring, problems
Cherry Cupcake

Need full Intel GMA X4500MHD driver

#1 Post by Cherry Cupcake »

What I wish to do:
Install a full-blown driver for my Intel GMA X4500MHD video card into Upup Precise (or ANY puppy).

Why I think I need to do this:
I play Secondlife a lot and on my system under Winblows AND on my friend’s computer using the same Puppy but with the extra Nvidia drivers the graphics are MUCH better. I get shine and shadows and all kinds of nice effects. Under the graphic settings many options are available.

This indicates to me that the problem is not Puppy or the game software but rather the lack of a proper puppy graphics driver for my own computer.

So, how do I install a full proper Intel graphics driver into my puppy rather than the default low-end driver?

ardvark

#2 Post by ardvark »

Hi...

Although it's for a different distribution, perhaps this thread might be of help. However, some kernel compiling might be necessary, I'm not sure.

If your system is a desktop model and a graphics card can be added in, getting a Nvidia card to replace the Intel onboard graphics might be a better choice, depending upon the power supply unit. If interested, post your computer's specs and we can lend a hand in finding you one. :wink:

Regards...
Our Lord and Savior [url=http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/]Jesus Christ[/url] loves and cares about you most of all!

PLEASE READ! You don't have to end up [url=http://www.spiritlessons.com/Documents/BillWiese_23MinutesInHell_Text.htm]here![/url]

Cherry Cupcake

#3 Post by Cherry Cupcake »

this thread might be of help. However, some kernel compiling might be necessary, I'm not sure.

Thank you but I have no idea what all that was about. All I got out of it was a link to a viewer that may work but there's no Linux version that I can find.

> post your computer's specs and we can lend a hand in finding you one. :wink:

http://www.cnet.com/laptops/compaq-pres ... 90467.html
Except Puppy Linux Raring instead of Winblows Vista

This is driving me nuts. I have no extra graphics options with the viewers under Linux. Under Windows I have most of them. Same computer. Same viewer. Same GPU. This suggests to me that something is missing from my Puppy drivers or GL or Mesa or whatever. There is something in the Windows setup that is not there in Puppy. A full video driver? OpenGL Libraries?

ardvark

#4 Post by ardvark »

Hi...

My apologies, I missed the part (on the page I linked to) where the OP stated that the i915 driver did not work and the i965 really didn't offer any better. :(

Because this is a laptop and your using an Intel graphics chipset (with no ability to upgrade or swap out,) I think your options are quite limited, if not non-existent. Nvidia and AMD are much better for gaming, hands down.

You could try going here and post the same question. They might know of something I don't know about or have overlooked.

Regards...

Cherry Cupcake

#5 Post by Cherry Cupcake »

[quote="OpenGL Libraries?[/quote]

Still working on this. Another piece falls into the puzzle. I remembered something from long ago and entered "glgears" into a CLI window. It works! So OpenGl is in place.
What is missing? What do the Winblows drivers have that the Puppy ones do not?

ardvark

#6 Post by ardvark »

Hi...

"glxgears" is a tool that measure frames per second. "glxinfo" can tell you more. :wink:

Regards...