Fatdog64 630rc2 (24 December 2013) [CLOSED]

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
whahn1983

#61 Post by whahn1983 »

whahn1983 wrote:I just installed version 630rc2 to my USB thumb drive and saved an encrypted save file to it. I edited the .conf file to point to the save file via uuid. When it boots, the scrolling text states that it found the save file however, it does not prompt for a password and just continues to boot without the save file. Any ideas?
jamesbond wrote:What .conf file again did you edit? Where did you create the savefile? In the root directory of the partition, or elsewhere? You can use the "savefile argument creator" (courtesy of rcrsn51) - look in Control Panel, Utility section, to build the correct savefile argument.
The file I edited was extlinux.conf. The savefile is on the root of the usb thumb drive that fatdog is installed to. I added an append line at the end and copied and pasted the savefile= line from the savefile argument creator. On boot, as it is scrolling the information, it shows that it finds the file but does not prompt for the encryption password and boots without the savefile.

rcrsn51

#62 Post by rcrsn51 »

@whahn1983: Try adding "waitdev=5" to the end of the "append" line.

whahn1983

#63 Post by whahn1983 »

rcrsn51 wrote:@whahn1983: Try adding "waitdev=5" to the end of the "append" line.
Tried that as well. All the way up to waitdev=20.

rcrsn51

#64 Post by rcrsn51 »

An encrypted savefile on USB worked for me. Please post your extlinux.conf file.

whahn1983

#65 Post by whahn1983 »

rcrsn51 wrote:An encrypted savefile on USB worked for me. Please post your extlinux.conf file.
Must have been something wrong with the file. I just deleted it and created a new one and updated the extlinux.conf and all is working good now.

MinHundHettePerro

#66 Post by MinHundHettePerro »

Hello :)!

Silence might not always be preferred ...

Strange bug encountered while trying to install lvm2 (tried both packages offered in the package manager). Just lvm2 out of the few packages I installed seems to be affected.

The package manager hangs when installing the package, and the shell gets borked.

Downloading the packages and installing from CL reveals the following unexpected behaviour:

Code: Select all

# petget /aufs/devsave/fd64/lvm2-2.98.pet 
EXIT="OK"
cp: cannot stat `/usr/share/doc/index.html.top': No such file or directory
yaf-splash: couldn't load font "8x16"
cat: /usr/share/doc/index.html.bottom: No such file or directory

# petget -lvm2-2.98
cp: cannot stat `/usr/share/doc/index.html.top': No such file or directory
cat: /usr/share/doc/index.html.bottom: No such file or directory
/usr/local/petget/removepreview.sh: line 82: /usr/sbin/fixmenus: No such file or directory
EXIT="OK"

# silent_petget /aufs/devsave/fd64/lvm2-2.98.pet 
installing lvm2-2.98
checksum is 6596d56e6d86f55a489df0877515be35
/usr/sbin/silent_petget: line 78: /bin/mkdir: No such file or directory
/usr/sbin/silent_petget: line 140: /bin/sed: No such file or directory
/usr/sbin/silent_petget: line 87: /usr/bin/cat: No such file or directory
/usr/sbin/silent_petget: line 88: /usr/bin/rm: No such file or directory
#
('silent_petget lvm2-2.98 uninstall' works, though)

Anyway, I thought I'd report it ...

Cheers :)/MHHP
[color=green]Celeron 2.8 GHz, 1 GB, i82845, many ptns, modes 12, 13
Dual Xeon 3.2 GHz, 1 GB, nvidia quadro nvs 285[/color]
Slackos & 214X, ... and Q6xx
[color=darkred]Nämen, vaf....[/color] [color=green]ln -s /dev/null MHHP[/color]

jamesbond

#67 Post by jamesbond »

MinHundHettePerro wrote: Anyway, I thought I'd report it ...
Thanks MHHP. Confirmed the errors; those two are bad pets, I need to fix them.
EDIT: Fixed.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

chiron

#68 Post by chiron »

I downloaded and did a manual frugal install. ThinkPad R500, Radeon HD3400.

The good news first
When it eventually reaches X, WiFi is no problem, sound works ootb, and it's fast.

Now the bad news. It only boots up to X every 1 out of 3-5 times. Without anything changed, i.e. no savefile written yet, first boot got me to a blank screen, no cursor, no reaction to keys, hard poweroff. Second boot got me a little further, black screen with some irregular white bars, mouse cursor visible and reacts to movement, no reaction to any keys, except when pushing the power button, it now barks ;) . Hard poweroff. Third attempt (pfix=nox) got me irregular white patterns on a black screen with some text still there but not legible. typed 'reboot' in the blind and it rebooted. Fourth attempt went straight to X desktop, no problem, got correct resolution, everything works. Euphoria! But, next boot, back to the above. When X works, closing the lid puts it in suspend to ram, but opening the lid back up gives a black screen (backlight on) with no reaction whatsoever.
Boot option 'nomodeset' brings me up to X, but only in 1400x1050.

FD600 hardinfo reports the following

Summary
Computer
Processor	2x Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P8700 @ 2.53GHz
Memory	3974MB (583MB used)
Machine Type	Physical machine
Operating System	Fatdog64 [b5f866c240]
User Name	root (root)
Date/Time	Tue Jan 21 14:08:50 2014
Display
Resolution	1680x1050 pixels
OpenGL Renderer	ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3400 Series
X11 Vendor	The X.Org Foundation
Audio Devices
Audio Adapter	HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
Audio Adapter	Loopback - Loopback
Input Devices
Lid Switch	
Sleep Button	
Power Button	
Video Bus	
AT Translated Set 2 keyboard	
DualPoint Stick	
AlpsPS/2 ALPS DualPoint TouchPad	
PC Speaker	
ThinkPad Extra Buttons	
Printers (CUPS)
CUPS-PDF	Default
SCSI Disks
ATA FUJITSU MJA2320B	
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T50N	
Operating System
Version
Kernel	Linux 3.4.5 (x86_64)
Version	#1 SMP Thu Jul 19 21:52:43 EDT 2012
C Library	GNU C Library version 2.13 (stable)
Distribution	Fatdog64 [b5f866c240]
Current Session
Computer Name	Kriemhild
User Name	root (root)
Home Directory	/root
Desktop Environment	Unknown (Window Manager: Openbox)
Misc
Uptime	26 minutes
Load Average	0.81, 0.76, 1.17
Display
Display
Resolution	1680x1050 pixels
Vendor	The X.Org Foundation
Version	1.11.4
Monitors
Monitor 0	1680x1050 pixels
Extensions
AMDXVBA	
AMDXVOPL	
ATIFGLEXTENSION	
ATIFGLRXDRI	
BIG-REQUESTS	
Composite	
DAMAGE	
DOUBLE-BUFFER	
DPMS	
DRI2	
GLX	
Generic Event Extension	
MIT-SCREEN-SAVER	
MIT-SHM	
RANDR	
RECORD	
RENDER	
SGI-GLX	
SHAPE	
SYNC	
X-Resource	
XC-MISC	
XFIXES	
XFree86-DGA	
XFree86-VidModeExtension	
XINERAMA	
XINERAMA	
XInputExtension	
XKEYBOARD	
XTEST	
XVideo	
XVideo-MotionCompensation	
glesx	
OpenGL
Vendor	Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Renderer	ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3400 Series
Version	3.3.11631 Compatibility Profile Context
Direct Rendering	Yes
Works pretty reliable with FatDog600, so I doubt I am having hardware issues. Is there a workaround/boot option etc.? Will there be catalyst for the final release?

Thanks for the effort you guys put into Fatdog, it's the OS I spent the most time with.

don570

#69 Post by don570 »

Latest mtpaint 64 bit version - compiled in fatdog630

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=81136

jamesbond

#70 Post by jamesbond »

@chiron
There is a known problem with radeon module on 630rc2 which kirk has fixed for next release; hopefully that will fix yours too.
Also, are yours dual-radeon graphics? Dual-radeon isn't properly supported until kernel 3.13 (which was just released a few days ago), though it should also work with older kernels (but can't use all the features).

As for Catalyst drivers - we will release the Catalyst driver once we've gone to final.
vflower wrote:However, remaster for more than 10 times, the remaster is still failed. The remaster files cannot be booted. Remaster on both a desktop and a notebook, both failed.
Thanks for the report. I'm looking at it.
EDIT: Found the problem. The remaster doesn't fail; it is the new "kernel feature" (first introduced in 3.11 - the "initmpfs" feature) that causes problem. To fix it, please append "rootfstype=ramfs" to your kernel command line (in isolinux.cfg or grub.cfg). I will be applying this automatically for future releases. Also, make sure that your ISO size isn't bigger than half of your RAM. Alternatively you can remaster with "small-initrd" - that should take care of the problem too.
L18L wrote:Like some style with faq :?:
flexible design, validating with http://validator.w3.org/#validate_by_upload
my /usr/share/doc/faqs/tray.html:
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll think about it (mainly how much work required to re-style all the other pages ...)

Anyway, we plan to release final soon. Let us know of any annoying problems - we'll try to fix them for final, if possible.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

L18L

#71 Post by L18L »

jamesbond wrote:I'll think about it (mainly how much work required to re-style all the other pages ...)
Hope this helps (use LANG=xx, comment base, etc...)
...or just a new fatdog.css.
Let us know of any annoying problems
index and home
If I am installing puppy's langpack there are home.htm and index.html.
If Fatdog would use home.html and no index(link to home) or index.htm(without l) there would be no overriding.....
BTW I am rethinking about langpackFatdog to become a complete langpack and no addition to puppy's langpack....

EDIT
trim the fat missing. I have been installing gwhere_NLS. This has installed all the languages that it contains. Any user would like to have just their languages ( locale -a | grep _ | cut -d'_' -f1 | uniq ) see "trim" in /usr/local/petget/downloadpkgs.sh please.
EDIT ...or forget it. It is not really annoying.

chiron²

#72 Post by chiron² »

jamesbond wrote:@chiron
There is a known problem with radeon module on 630rc2 which kirk has fixed for next release; hopefully that will fix yours too.
Also, are yours dual-radeon graphics? Dual-radeon isn't properly supported until kernel 3.13 (which was just released a few days ago), though it should also work with older kernels (but can't use all the features).

As for Catalyst drivers - we will release the Catalyst driver once we've gone to final.
OK, if it's a known issue, and on top of that, is fixed, I will gladly wait. It's not a dual radeon setup, it's just the 'not totally crappy' graphics option on my thinkpad.

gcmartin

#73 Post by gcmartin »

... Alternatively you can remaster with "small-initrd" - that should take care of the problem too. ...
A thought. (But, there are many other apps you are readying. For Remaster, should "small-initrd" be the default with the boot speedup (opposite of small-initrd) being an option? Or maybe there should be an advice statement popup made just before final step(s) stating the current RAM size and that user is responsible to pay attention to remaster size.

Idea is which approach will yield the greatest benefit by reducing the forum support needs in the outcome produced by remaster usage. Just a thought.

WillM

#74 Post by WillM »

Hi,
I went out to a command prompt and typed xwin lxpanel , but when Xwindows appeared, Razor panel was still there, minus Glipper, the free memory applet and the wifi icon. Also the mouse pointer turned into an cross. All windows opened would go to the upper left corner of the screen, with the title bar off the screen,meaning I couldn't drag anything, even with Alt-Drag.

jamesbond

#75 Post by jamesbond »

WillM wrote:Hi,
I went out to a command prompt and typed xwin lxpanel , but when Xwindows appeared, Razor panel was still there, minus Glipper, the free memory applet and the wifi icon. Also the mouse pointer turned into an cross. All windows opened would go to the upper left corner of the screen, with the title bar off the screen,meaning I couldn't drag anything, even with Alt-Drag.
Hi Will, Fatdog's xwin command is a superset of Puppy's:

xwin [window-manager] [window-panel]
The first parameter is window-manager, the second parameter is the panel. Both are optional. What you did above by doing "xwin lxpanel" is:
a) setting lxpanel as the window manager
b) leaving the default razor-panel to run.
The end result - you're running two panels (lxpanel and razorpanel) without any window manager - that's why all windows have no borders and they all go to upper left corner.

To change it properly, you should instead do:

xwin "" lxpanel
This makes the first parameter blank (=use existing window manager); and set the panel to lxpanel. Alternatively, if you're already screwed, you can fix it by typing "xwin openbox lxpanel". This sets the window-manager to "openbox" and the panel to "lxpanel".

cheers!

WillM

#76 Post by WillM »

Thank you James. That worked pefectly.

jamesbond

#77 Post by jamesbond »

L18L wrote:index and home
If Fatdog would use home.html and no index(link to home) or index.htm(without l) there would be no overriding.....
I can look into changing "home.htm" to "home.html" but I can't change index.html - that file is auto-generated by puppy's petget script each time you install something. And I'm not touching the petget script (see below for the reason).
BTW I am rethinking about langpackFatdog to become a complete langpack and no addition to puppy's langpack....
It's up to you, but do you think you have the capacity to maintain *two* independent langpacks? :D
/usr/local/petget/downloadpkgs.sh please.
Anything in /usr/local/petget is considered as "legacy" (they are part of the original Puppy Package Manager) and I won't touch it unless absolutely necessary (=bugs). The reason PPM is still there is because Puppy's petget supports installing from Debian packages etc (for the better or worse, but at least it helps people who want/need to use packages not in Fatdog repo); and Fatdog's petget doesn't :oops: I had wanted to add the same functionality to Fatdog's petget but lost the motivation; so I took the easy way out to let Puppy's petget to do its job instead :wink:
gcmartin wrote:A thought. (But, there are many other apps you are readying. For Remaster, should "small-initrd" be the default with the boot speedup (opposite of small-initrd) being an option? Or maybe there should be an advice statement popup made just before final step(s) stating the current RAM size and that user is responsible to pay attention to remaster size.
Huge initrd is the best option when one runs from RAM and has frugal install. Hence it is the default. Small-initrd doesn't consume a lot of RAM since the SFS is basically outside (same as pfix=nocopy) and is slower. There can't be a guide for a remaster because the it depends on the target machine - ie where the remaster is to be run; the spec of the original machine that create the remaster is irrelevant.

Ted Dog

#78 Post by Ted Dog »

please reconsider gcmartins request. It solves the load verses not being able to load init.gz when it gets too hugnormous.. The load it self at the GRUB stage dies. That does not occur with small init.gz and large sized remaster.
It has noting to do with target or source RAM size. Its a real issue that is easiestly solved by changing default checkbox for large or small sized Init.
Its frustating to only learn about this after combining multiple sfs into one. Ie It happened to me when I merged the video.sfs with Dev.sfs, slaco32.sfs and wine. to make my universal fatdog64 base for all my projects at around 800M. :x
Its a simple request he asked and possible better wordsmithing of warnings at an eariler stage so people flushed with earily remaster success does not have results fail when they throw everything in..

gcmartin

#79 Post by gcmartin »

JamesBond wrote:Huge initrd is the best option when one runs from RAM and has frugal install. Hence it is the default. Small-initrd doesn't consume a lot of RAM since the SFS is basically outside (same as pfix=nocopy) and is slower. There can't be a guide for a remaster because the it depends on the target machine - ie where the remaster is to be run; the spec of the original machine that create the remaster is irrelevant.
Yeah, I was aware of this. I was just wondering if there was some way to improve the Remaster experience thru some other mechanism to reduce some of the remaster forum support requests (confusion) that arises from time to time.

Personally, I would NOT consider this a high priority, given, what you're trying to get to us, for, there is no bug. Its just a usability item.

Just trying to help on that one.
Edit: Sorry @TedDog, I pushed this post thru just after your post without seeing it. I am NOT in disagreement. And am PM'ing James of a potential offer to make Remaster a little simpler.
Edit2: @TedDog shares some of the dilemma that is the base of why I offered the idea. Some approach, or some advance warning or message before getting to the "what did I do wrong" stage that occurs using the Remaster utility.

L18L

#80 Post by L18L »

jamesbond wrote:
L18L wrote:index and home
I can look into changing "home.htm" to "home.html" but I can't change index.html - that file is auto-generated by puppy's petget script each time you install something...
/usr/share/doc/index.html was/is a link to home.
...and is overridden by puppy's petget.

<p>Applications available in the desktop menu:</p>
<center>
<form name="form">
<select name="site" size="1" onchange="javascript:formHandler()">

<option value="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/alsamixer">AlsaMixer audio mixer
<option value="http://zwin.org/projects/zmixer/">zmixer
</select>
</form>
</center>
which is pretty much useless.
In recent woof2 built petget which is fully internationalized the complete page is generated by indexgen script.
But that is another issue. I was just making sure that nothing important is overridden.
So let index.html stay as is and change home.htm to home.html
(Any existing home.htm (from puppy's langpack) can easily be removed in langpackFatdog's pinstall.sh then.)
Attachments
fatdog_home_wanted_dead_not_alive.htm.png
(22.49 KiB) Downloaded 594 times