Couple issues - HDD Space, Sound Card, Java/Flash

Booting, installing, newbie
Gem

Couple issues - HDD Space, Sound Card, Java/Flash

#1 Post by Gem »

Hi All,

I have done some extensive reading and come from a long windows background with a little ubuntu background builtin.

I am trying to find some answers coming from a very very basic knowledge. Very keen to learn, can't find comprehendible answers. Here are the issues:

HDD Space: Trying to copy files from DVD to HDD in puppy (i have about 10gig backed up on DVD need it into the drives). Gives me a HDD space error? How do I enable puppy to use more hdd space? I believe I am running chubby puppy. (my pc is relatively new 2.4ghz 512mb, using puppy for its ease, simplicity and running speed)

Sound Card: No matter how I look, I cannot find the ALSA sound card option in the start bar. I have seen this mentioned elsewhere as the place to configure your sound card. Is this an option missing in chubby? Should I download the full seamonkey package and use that instead?

Flash: Flash SWF files do not play through firefox. So ok I click to download plugin, doesnt download. Go to GetPup, choose flash and java, and both items refuse to load for a reason which doesnt make sense to me. Not sure if anyone can help here.

I am very keen to learn so I'm hoping my questions haven't been asked elsewhere. I much appreciate the help of the community and I intend on sticking around to support others once my knowledge is useful.

Cheers,

Gem

Pizzasgood

#2 Post by Pizzasgood »

Puppy actually stores it's data in a small (usually 256MB) save file called either pup001 or pup_save.3fs (depending on the version, it may vary slightly). You can expand that file from the control-panel menu I believe. It's in one of them.

Otherwise, you can access the outside, where the rest of the hard drive is, by going to /mnt/home. Many people find it better to store non-os data out there to safeguard it in the rare event that Puppy breaks. You can drag items with the middle mouse button to create a link back into the /root/ directory so you don't have to go all the way to /mnt/home/wherever.

You may not have a new-enough Puppy to have Alsa included. It should be in the setup menu.

Firefox may not have the flash plugin installed. If you have mozilla/seamonkey installed, it should be in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/. You can copy all those files to the plugins directory in firefox. I'm not sure where it is in your's, probably /usr/local/firefox, /usr/local/share/firefox, /usr/share/firefox, or /usr/firefox. It could be in /root/.firefox/ (that dot means it's a hidden directory, hit the button with many xxx's to see hidden files). It could also be in /root/my-applications/ somewhere.

Good luck!
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

Gem

#3 Post by Gem »

cheers for your quick and informative response.

I will attempt these changes tonight and see how I go.

CatmanDru

#4 Post by CatmanDru »

Pizzasgood said:
"Otherwise, you can access the outside, where the rest of the hard drive is, by going to /mnt/home. Many people find it better to store non-os data out there to safeguard it in the rare event that Puppy breaks."

Another benefit to keeping non-os data in a separate non-os 'data partition' is that it simplifies the process of changing or updating puppy versions. It reduces or eliminates the need to move files (and keep track of moved files) that are to be kept when changing Puppy versions.

Gn2

#5 Post by Gn2 »

D _ _ n PHP - another Dble-post

This is far better/more_secure platform:

http://linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reviews/6048/3/
Last edited by Gn2 on Wed 25 Oct 2006, 05:39, edited 1 time in total.

Gn2

#6 Post by Gn2 »

Sound - unless chubby version is very old - ALSA is default part your kernel

http://linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reviews/6048/3/

See your kernel's (dot) config >Found in lib/modules folders
- for options/ defaults already set to use

This differs from use of newest ALSA-DRIVERS and utilities (see Alsa home page for info)

Ex: ~ When user installs own ALSA - the already included kernel must be re-compiled to disable.- then install Alsa's own
OSS support is deprecated - but sometimes better when used for varied M/M Apps.

One or other (Alsa) may be used NOT both
No additional plug-in will enable sound IF your sound card is not activated & configured

BTW - it will help keep responces specific to subject - when you separate multiple requests into own threads

That also aids searchs for prior resolutions -otherwise they get buried several layers deep
Keywords used may be too broad - or not quite correctly worded.

HTH