My report on Quirky 6.0

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
slavvo67

#361 Post by slavvo67 »

All:

A question about the Snapshot backup.

So the snapshot is taken on the same USB that has your system so if the USB blows up, so goes your snapshot. No?

I know the snapshot is under /audit/snapshots in an SFS file. I guess that I can copy it somewhere and if the USB goes, I can reinstall and move my copy of the snapshot over?

I also noticed that some installed .pet packages were converted to .SFS packages under the /audit directory. My guess is they are needed to complete the snapshot? I know that Barry is still working on this but I'm wondering if anyone has additional insight on this...

Best regards,

Slavvo67

Jasper

#362 Post by Jasper »

Hi slavvo67 et al,

I copy and paste (or move) the "audit" folder from my Flash Stick to my Hard Drive. See Note 1.

Now I can copy/move any such audit folder to any Flash Stick with at least Quirky 6.1 [so the Snapshot facility is available and in my case made with an identical 8 GB f2fs format] to recover an exact replica (including all formatting such as language, time and screen resolution; plus all tweaks and installed pets and upgrades - to 6.1.3 at this time).

Notes

(1) It never seems to be reused, so I have not found it necessary to save any sfs upgrade file made from its corresponding pet.

(2) I can use any 8 GB (or larger) Flash Stick for the replica. If 16 GB or greater I can format a third partition (e.g. ext4) to use the remaining space (except perhaps for 1 MB).

(3) I always use "1" as my snapshot setting. So that my transferred "audit" folders are effectively mirrors from different dates, times and even sticks. I make "yymmdd" directories to hold the audits - adding "fm xyz to xyz" as I have three similar Quirky Flash Sticks.

(4) With two or more Flash Sticks, try deleting any subsisting "audit" folder and recover by copying and pasting any "audit" folder from the Hard Drive (or elsewhere located) backup collection. Then Recover that snapshot.

Wognath

Problems with xorgwizard

#363 Post by Wognath »

Hello,
I used install-quirky-to-partition and quirky-6.1.3.usfs.xz to make a full install of quirky to an ext2 HD partition. The fresh install takes me to a black screen and requires hard reboot. With qfix=nox, boots fast up to prompt. If I run xorgwizard and choose vesa/640x480 I can get to gui, although the "test X now" step takes about 20 seconds. From gui, resolution changer has no other options. Any other choices at xorgwizard (including "NOTHING: let xorg choose") lead either to error messages such as "no screens found(EE)" or black screen.

I'd like to get past this and give Quirky a try. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Lenovo S12 netbook, VIA nano processor, 1280x800 LCD

BarryK
Puppy Master

#364 Post by BarryK »

slavvo67 wrote:All:

A question about the Snapshot backup.

So the snapshot is taken on the same USB that has your system so if the USB blows up, so goes your snapshot. No?

I know the snapshot is under /audit/snapshots in an SFS file. I guess that I can copy it somewhere and if the USB goes, I can reinstall and move my copy of the snapshot over?

I also noticed that some installed .pet packages were converted to .SFS packages under the /audit directory. My guess is they are needed to complete the snapshot? I know that Barry is still working on this but I'm wondering if anyone has additional insight on this...

Best regards,

Slavvo67
Yes, you can make a copy of the snaphot elsewhere, if you want.

When the Package Manager installs a package, a <packagename>DEPOSED.sfs file is created. This only has previous files that got overwritten when the package got installed. These SFSs are used by the Package Manager when a package is uninstalled, to restore the system, so the system cannot be broken by uninstalling any package.

Those SFSs have nothing to do with the snapshots. Snapshots are just that, a snapshot of the entire system.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

BarryK
Puppy Master

#365 Post by BarryK »

This is a post for the woof-CE guys. I posted earlier in this thread about a patch for Woof that changes the wallpaper mechanism -- I sent a pm to 01micko about that.

Now, another one. I have fixed the multi-architecture symlinks problem with Debian, Ubuntu, and many other mainstream distros, see my blog post:
http://bkhome.org/news/?viewDetailed=00045

What needs to be changed in woof-CE are the files in the attached tarball.

That is, all of the 'FIXUPHACK' scripts in the templates, and '2createpackages' and '3builddistro'.

However, don't just replace those scripts in woof-CE, as I have made some other changes for Quirky. You will need to examine my recent changes to the scripts, dated 140116 - 1401018, related to multiarch dirs, and merge those into woof-CE.

Another change needed is usr/local/petget/installpkg.sh in woof-CE. I have not provided my script as it is very heavily modified for Quirky.
The change required in woof-CE is to find the section of code after package installation, where the multiarch-dir-symlinks get restored if necessary -- and put a test around that code:

Code: Select all

if [ "$DISTRO_ARCHDIR_SYMLINKS" = "yes" ];then
...code...
fi
The variable DISTRO_ARCHDIR_SYMLINKS is created by 2createpackages in file DISTRO_SPECS.

I will send a pm to 01micko about this.

EDIT Jan. 20:
Another change is required, see my comment posted here, regarding 'merge2out' script:
http://bkhome.org/news/?viewDetailed=00045
Attachments
woof-multiarchdirs.tar.gz
(93.97 KiB) Downloaded 313 times
Last edited by BarryK on Mon 20 Jan 2014, 09:20, edited 1 time in total.

raffy

internet connection

#366 Post by raffy »

Quirky puts the Puppy at home in flash drives! I use Intel Atom boards with no hard disk, and the new quirky is a perfect match to this barebones system.

However, with Broadcom 4313 wireless in my AMD E-350 laptop, the Simple Internet Connection wizard fails, and the full wizard is able to connect only after the "Test" button is pressed. This results to a manual rerun of the wizard after every boot. (EDIT - after I installed Rerwin's Frisbee pet here, auto-reconnection is ok, although Frisbee itself does not work).
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

nmlkngdm

#367 Post by nmlkngdm »

Install to partition on a HP Pavilion Entertainment laptop
Hardinfo below w/SeaMonkey opened
-Computer-
Processor : 2x Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T5850 @ 2.16GHz
Memory : 3113MB (175MB used)
Machine Type : Physical machine
Operating System : Quirky - 6.1.3
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Sun 19 Jan 2014 03:09:49 PM EST
-Display-
Resolution : 1280x800 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Unknown
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Audio Devices-
Audio Adapter : HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
-SCSI Disks-
ATA TOSHIBA MK3252GS

Screens from left to right
(1)6.1.3, (2)6.1.3 w/hardinfo, (3)6.1.2, (4)6.1.1
Image Image Image Image

broomdodger

#368 Post by broomdodger »

quirky 613

I found these apps 'hidden' from $PATH

Are they meant to be 'hidden'?

/usr/usr/bin/apropos
/usr/usr/bin/man
/usr/usr/bin/man2dvi
/usr/usr/bin/man2html
/usr/usr/bin/whatis

/usr/usr/sbin/makewhatis

Bill

Billtoo

My report on Quirky 6.0

#369 Post by Billtoo »

The install to drive script seems to work when the drive is a usb 3.0
flash drive plugged into a usb 3.0 port but it starts to boot and
fails before getting to the desktop.
Running the script with a usb 3.0 flash drive plugged into a usb 2.0 works and boots to the desktop successfully when the drive is plugged into a usb 3.0 port.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#370 Post by BarryK »

broomdodger wrote:quirky 613

/usr/usr/bin/apropos
/usr/usr/bin/man
/usr/usr/bin/man2dvi
/usr/usr/bin/man2html
/usr/usr/bin/whatis

/usr/usr/sbin/makewhatis

Bill
Was getting some odd bugs like that in earlier versions. Did you use a Service Pack to upgrade an installation to 6.1.3? -- if so, you will have inherited that bug from an earlier version.

broomdodger

#371 Post by broomdodger »

BarryK wrote:

/usr/usr/bin/apropos
/usr/usr/bin/man
/usr/usr/bin/man2dvi
/usr/usr/bin/man2html
/usr/usr/bin/whatis

/usr/usr/sbin/makewhatis

Bill
Was getting some odd bugs like that in earlier versions. Did you use a Service Pack to upgrade an installation to 6.1.3? -- if so, you will have inherited that bug from an earlier version.
Yes, I did use service pack 612 to 613. I will re-install using the full 613 and check again.

Is devx612 good for quirky613?

broomdodger

#372 Post by broomdodger »

BarryK wrote:

/usr/usr/bin/apropos
/usr/usr/bin/man
/usr/usr/bin/man2dvi
/usr/usr/bin/man2html
/usr/usr/bin/whatis

/usr/usr/sbin/makewhatis

Bill
I re-installed from Quirky 6.1.3 and those odd directories are now gone.

Thank you, Quirky is fun.
Posted from a clean install.

Edit...

Then I installed the devx612 pet and those odd directories returned!

I guess I answered my question about devx612 being good for Quirky613 :(

Bill

BarryK
Puppy Master

#373 Post by BarryK »

broomdodger wrote:
BarryK wrote:

/usr/usr/bin/apropos
/usr/usr/bin/man
/usr/usr/bin/man2dvi
/usr/usr/bin/man2html
/usr/usr/bin/whatis

/usr/usr/sbin/makewhatis

Bill
I re-installed from Quirky 6.1.3 and those odd directories are now gone.

Thank you, Quirky is fun.
Posted from a clean install.

Edit...

Then I installed the devx612 pet and those odd directories returned!

I guess I answered my question about devx612 being good for Quirky613 :(

Bill
Ah, thanks for that feedback, I found the cause. It has nothing to do with Quirky.

The 'man-1.6f.tar.bz2' binary package created by T2 has everything in /usr/usr. So, it is a bug in T2.

I have put a check into 3builddistro to detect and fix it.

This problem is only with Quirky 6.x built from T2 packages. Quirky Tahr, built from Ubuntu Trusty tahr packages, does not have this problem.

Billtoo

My report on Quirky 6.0

#374 Post by Billtoo »

I did a fresh install of Quirky 6.1.3 to a 32gb usb 3.0 flash drive,
pc is a gateway desktop.
video-info-glx 1.5.3 Thu 23 Jan 2014 on Quirky 6.1.3 Linux 3.12.6 i686
0.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF110 [GeForce GTX 560 Ti] (rev a1)
oem: NVIDIA
product: GF110 Board - 12630002 Chip Rev
X Server: Xorg Driver: nvidia
X.Org version: 1.14.3
dimensions: 1920x1080 pixels (602x343 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes
Number of GPUs: 1
GPU #0:
Name : GeForce GTX 560 Ti
UUID : GPU-7620a950-6e50-f76c-02ae-42352231249f
PCI BusID : PCI:1:0:0
Number of Display Devices: 1
Display Device 0 (DFP-0):
EDID Name : Ancor Communications Inc ASUS VE278
Minimum HorizSync : 24.000 kHz
Maximum HorizSync : 92.000 kHz
Minimum VertRefresh : 50 Hz
Maximum VertRefresh : 85 Hz
Maximum PixelClock : 170.000 MHz
Maximum Width : 1920 pixels
Maximum Height : 1080 pixels
Preferred Width : 1920 pixels
Preferred Height : 1080 pixels
Preferred VertRefresh : 60 Hz
Physical Width : 600 mm
Physical Height : 340 mm
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz
Core 0: @1600 1: @1600 2: @1600 3: @1600 4: @1600 5: @1600 6: @1600 7: @1600 MHz

I switched to icewm, installed some other pets too.
It's working great.
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
(65.36 KiB) Downloaded 599 times

gcmartin

#375 Post by gcmartin »

BarryK wrote: ... I have put a check into 3builddistro to detect and fix it. ...
Does this mean that this fix will auto-update the existing running Quirky or will this be a future T2 generated Quirky image update or both/neither?

bobtron

quirky 6.1.3

#376 Post by bobtron »

Greets Quirky land!..I seem to have noticed a phenomenon first with Q6.1.2..sda6 6GB disk partition "free space" would start to gradually shrink and then went to free fall {started with 2.1GB free and dropped to 22MB !)
So I did clean full install of Q6.1.3 on Tuesday:
-sda6 partition 6GB
-added packages from package manager:
{VLC2.1.2..QT4.8.2..Conky1.6.1..Opera12.16
-After installing/reboot/running, "Partview" reported 6.0GB space/4.3GB free (cool)
-This morning was "3.9GB" free
-at home..reboot..."2.8GB" free?
Yes I use Opera and Seamonkey but have set to clear "history/cookies/cache" on exit..Have also tried manual delete that stuff.
Question is there are files growing when running {error and system or other logs}? Or am I missing something?

broomdodger

#377 Post by broomdodger »

BarryK wrote:Ah, thanks for that feedback, I found the cause. It has nothing to do with Quirky.

The 'man-1.6f.tar.bz2' binary package created by T2 has everything in /usr/usr. So, it is a bug in T2.

I have put a check into 3builddistro to detect and fix it.
I edited configure because busybox less does not have -i or -s

DEFAULTLESSOPT="-IMN"
And to fix the broken prefix

if [ -z "${prefix}" ]; then prefix=""; fi
is better but one file is still moved to the wrong place.
Adding -prefix="" to configure does not work.

If you add the following, control chars are suppressed.

./configure -compatibility_mode_for_colored_groff
Now 'man' works... well enough.

Bill

slavvo67

#378 Post by slavvo67 »

In Quirky 6.1.3, I have used the package manager using the option to "Download Only" X-Mag-1.0.5 and its dependencies in the t2-quirky6 pets. These files all downloaded in non-pet format as tar.bz2. Is this by design? I notice when I extract in root they end up in var/adm/packages. At first, I thought that I broke my package manager somehow but upon reinstalling 6.1.3 onto a USB, it happened again.

Kindly forgive the post if this is my error.

Regards,

Slavvo67

James C

Quirky Linux Gets More Pep Out of Puppy

#379 Post by James C »

The Quirky Linux distro has a lightweight design with a powerful delivery system. That, plus a leading-edge test bed of new ideas, makes Quirky Linux an ideal OS for netbooks and older computers with limited storage and memory. Run Quirky on a hardware-enhanced modern machine and experience a new definition of fast and dependable. It's definitely worth a try

http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/Quirk ... 79841.html

Bert

#380 Post by Bert »

Nice review!

Thanks for the link.
[url=http://pupsearch.weebly.com/][img]http://pupsearch.weebly.com/uploads/7/4/6/4/7464374/125791.gif[/img][/url]
[url=https://startpage.com/do/search?q=host%3Awww.murga-linux.com%2F][img]http://i.imgur.com/XJ9Tqc7.png[/img][/url]