Quirky multisession

Discuss anything specific to using Puppy on a multi-session disk
Ted Dog

#21 Post by Ted Dog »

not really the speed for being uncompressed from a program load would greatly drop if we returned to layered uncompressed each time requested. However the slight barely noticeable data load from swap as is from hardware could only get faster with swap via RAM drive. We are really just using compression differently. What I like is the lack of complex and historically problematic layers and .wh files everywhere. With a all in one remaster expect a modest increase in DVD use, until plan B ideas I have will decrease that below current levels, but I think BerryK will come to the same idea to reduce backup size in the orginal Quirky. Do you want to know plan B ? :twisted:

mikeb

#22 Post by mikeb »

One thread of interest is this lower compression build of mksquashfs
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 88&t=89173
I get the feeling that could come in handy.

well space wise my setup would drop from 260MB ramdisk use to 100MB which for that hardware leaves plenty of ram for more sfs and the saved session to load to..

When you are dealing with 1GB + it does indeed de-complex the system ... effectively a standard install but sitting in ram...compression is less of a need.
unionfs-fuse still gives that option even in this configuration.

A fully floating system is fast, robust and as you say can be build from any convenint source. hard drives have an easy time if they exist becoming simply storage devices rather than a dynamic part of the system.

aufs and whiteout files...i don't think snap merge and the multisession help with the picture...I scrapped the former and used the sfs save instead years ago where whiteout handling is simple and the filesystem behaves 'normally' ..ie no reappearing files and such not to mention robust saving. (new archive is created and only if no errors is the old one deleted....or kept as a backup)

all good fun

mike

Ted Dog

#23 Post by Ted Dog »

yes we did quite a number on the mess with .wh files and multisession. And those lingering bugs may or may not exist. I say it was not worth it! IT casted a cloud over the use of multisession that should never have happen.
But the general idea still has merit. Linux still is mostly delivered in iso disk liveCD. With a boatload of wasted storage on optical drive.

mikeb

#24 Post by mikeb »

Actually i kept multisession... quite a neat method...its flash handling I changed.

Just as comparison here is a quick screenie of a more typical setup on the 512 +512 swap machine. All sfs in tmpfs and 32mb save sfs loaded to pup_rw.
This makes the most use of ram while again no drives are mounted.

mike

mikeb

#25 Post by mikeb »

chirp....

Ted Dog

#26 Post by Ted Dog »

crickets have taken over thread... :D

Ok I have not forgotten. But first needed to buy a 8G flashdrive... should be delivered next week.Its a sweet USB MHL double sided conntectors flashdrive that solves multiple things. First it plugs directly into Android phone to copy from phone and then you can use its other side as a USB in a normal computer.
At first I was going to buy a microSD card for phone but did not like that I would have to rip back off to get at it. But that model also came with a Normal SD adapter that only one computer I own can boot from.
To bad Amazon did not cross promote this sooner. It would have solved my Linux only method for pulling files off phone. Those great guys on the MTP thread solved it for me.
But it is nice to be able to remove files from phone faster and without having to boot pc. I can tell google sniffers send data back to somewhere in preportion to how much stuff is downloaded. But if I kill those sniffers that I can reach downloads are stopped.

mikeb

#27 Post by mikeb »

Ok was just catching up....
That protocol for the android is the one used by cameras..guess its spreading. At least its not as bad as TWAIN was. :) And yes I prefer powered off transfers anyway.

No problem...threads on watch.

mike

Ted Dog

#28 Post by Ted Dog »

flashdrive arrived so work has begun.. already have EFI boot working on unmodified flashdrive.ie no boot mbr or gpt... saw how microsoft did its recovery flashdrive setup and did same with.grub.. worked perfectly first try. :D
need to pass that along to gcmartin since it will greatly simplify documentation he is working on... did not have an untouched flashdrive to prove this one way or another... Ok now to the quriky stuff... well after I can tell if 64bit EFI can boot 32bit ... and see how many puppylinux iso I got can boot together this way.

mikeb

#29 Post by mikeb »

already have EFI boot working on unmodified flashdrive.ie no boot mbr or gpt... saw how microsoft did its recovery flashdrive setup and did same with.grub.. worked perfectly first try.
yeah I found dual booting vista and 7 was dead easy in the end..rename a couple of files, add menu done... totally uncomplicated..

mike

Ted Dog

#30 Post by Ted Dog »

did ok with fatdogs and 64bit.slacko but 32bits never finish, and doing it blind so can't tell if or how 32bit hangs, but now its dead easy to boot efi via generic vfat32 flashdrive without all the drama at least with 64bit :lol:
Now to find those quirky downloads already downloaded... :?

Ted Dog

#31 Post by Ted Dog »

lol finally found that code sample I knew I had done something like this before.... in 2005 Christmas Day no less. Its far older than expected. But fun I got pizza105 murga105 graphpup101 GEEXBOX on one bootible dvd and its multisession...
hope to locate the burn script... and grub methods boot tools..

would you know it was the second to last.disc on the spindle. Only a windows driver disc remains and it would not have the code to try this.

Also never found my quirky download but it looks as if a new version is coming soon.

Ted Dog

#32 Post by Ted Dog »

BK is getting real close to where I was going codewise. With the proposed for cloning install or first stage sfs file, he talked about maybe he will just finish almost all the code needed to make this possible and more. Multisession code still exists in the latest versions but calling program wrappers where removed.
looking at bind mounting sfs like was done In the early pre layered days. I hope he is going for a small intrd for recovery. Currently small number of files come from existing install to perform a recovery action. But that still requires a seemingly good filesystem.
I am reviewing his recovery code with an eye to bolt on a run in RAM and his backup sfs as tbe path to a form of multisession. I will be using audit folder like we did for archive. :wink: . Unsure about the home folder treatment in Tahr

mikeb

#33 Post by mikeb »

I am sure it will all be wonderful :)

mike