Slacko 5.7 final - 8 March 2014

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
SFR

#281 Post by SFR »

RE: PPM double-click

Vox populi, vox Dei. 8)

Ok, I can revert the single click, but the only way (for now, maybe me or someone else will find a better way later) to do it is to disable column resizing (as Mick did in SFS/Update managers), however I just checked and thankfully at least sorting can be retained safely, without the threat of this bug.
Is it ok that way?

Also, made a quick test a most likely choosing via keyboard also could be preserved!

Anyway, thanks for opinions about it, appreciated. :)

Greetings!
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]
[b][color=green]Omnia mea mecum porto.[/color][/b]

oldyeller

#282 Post by oldyeller »

I don't know if this would be a bug, But when playing gnome-player and hitting the tray button will hide the player and when hitting again it will not make it viewable at all. It starts to but closes right away so you can not view it.

Hope this makes since.

Cheers

SFR

#283 Post by SFR »

oldyeller wrote:I don't know if this would be a bug, But when playing gnome-player and hitting the tray button will hide the player and when hitting again it will not make it viewable at all. It starts to but closes right away so you can not view it.

Hope this makes since.

Cheers
Hi Oldyeller, the window closes or just minimizes?
In my case after pressing the tray icon, gnome-player's window returns (shows up on taskbar), but it's simply minimized.
It seems to be JWM related; under IceWM it behaves as expected...

Greetings!
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]
[b][color=green]Omnia mea mecum porto.[/color][/b]

oldyeller

#284 Post by oldyeller »

@SFR,

I notice that it worked properly as well with fluxbox that I compiled. So it must be a jwm thing.

Cheers

Jades

#285 Post by Jades »

SFR wrote:RE: PPM double-click

Anyway, thanks for opinions about it, appreciated. :)
Not a problem, while I personally didn't like the feature I can now see what you were trying to do. You did the right thing giving it a shot this early in the testing while there was time for people to give feedback. Perhaps you could make turning it on optional, like double-clicking is in ROX? IIRC there is an options screen in PPM already.
Zhaan - AMD K6 2 500, 512MB RAM, ATI Rage 128 VR. Full install Wary 5.5 [url=http://tinyurl.com/dy66kh8]HardInfo Report[/url]
Merlin - Core i5-4590, 8GB RAM, Radeon R9 270X. Slacko 5.7.0

Jades

#286 Post by Jades »

Latest stable Gparted is v0.17.0 - website is http://www.gparted.org

Used the version of Gparted in current testbuild of Slacko (0.16.0 IIRC) to repartition the new 1TB internal SATA HDD in the Pentium D. Main OS is Win 7 Pro 64-Bit, I've successfully resized the main Windows partition and created an 8GB Linux Swap partition, a 10GB ext4 for a main full install of Puppy, a 100GB ext4 for Linux data and a 12GB ext4 for test full installs.

Currently have a Full of 5655 (PAE version) under test. Seems to be working well at the moment. Wireless setup on that is via Frisbee, proper icon appears when connected. Clock was still truncated with 12hr am/pm setup.

Set up Grub4Dos via Grub4DosConfig and customised menu.1st (or menu.lst, can never remember). Win 7 Pro install, set as default, still working fine as does the XP install on another drive.

Are we sure this is an Alpha? ;-)
Zhaan - AMD K6 2 500, 512MB RAM, ATI Rage 128 VR. Full install Wary 5.5 [url=http://tinyurl.com/dy66kh8]HardInfo Report[/url]

rodin.s

About double click

#287 Post by rodin.s »

Maybe there should be some additional button in PPM like "install" or "remove" to handle selected item in the list. Double click on the item or pressing the button should do the same thing. You don't like double click - press the button.

Jades

#288 Post by Jades »

My personal opinion is that there are already enough opportunities for you to change your mind in the currently established PPM workflow.

01micko

#289 Post by 01micko »

bigpup wrote:The Update Manager is not keeping up with the latest releases.
bigpup, I do understand your concern, but ff-esr-17.0.11 is the latest with security fixes (it is LTS, aka ESR) and we will be following that line with official slacko.

@ reasons.
  • 1. bloat -- ff > 20 is several megabytes larger.
    2. speed -- my benchmark machine is an old IBM Thinkpad r51. ff > 20 runs like treacle on that thing so evidently they have increased the need for resources.
My other not so well publicised OS will be shipping with FF-esr-24.X when it's ready.. more soon on that (still slacko/puppy/woof based).
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

don570

#290 Post by don570 »

I posted my compile of cinelerra video editor 2.2.
It works well if you have a fast processor and lots of ram and hard
disk space.

Warning!! Don't install on a machine that will do compiling since
several libraries are changed with links.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=91418

Billtoo

Slacko testing (for 5.7)

#291 Post by Billtoo »

I added xbmc 12.3 running under wine to my slacko 5.6.5 install, it's
working pretty well.
Attachments
xbmc-screen.jpg
(40.5 KiB) Downloaded 1816 times

peebee

Hardinfo crashes 5.6.5.2 - nvidia graphics

#292 Post by peebee »

Frugal pristine manual installs of Slacko 5.6.5.2

Hardinfo - Summary kills my desktop pc with nvidia graphics - screen dissolves into a mass of tiny pixels and the only way out is to switch off at the power button.

The nouveau driver is selected - if I drop out to the console and run xorgwizard and select the modesetting driver then the problem goes away and Hardinfo - Summary works as expected.

The problem is not present on Slacko5.6

My desktop pc specs from PupSysInfo (which works fine) are attached - remove false .gz

Does anybody else get problems with hardinfo with nvidia??

Cheers
peebee
Attachments
pup-sysinfo.txt.gz
remove false .gz
(6.51 KiB) Downloaded 228 times
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Sage

#293 Post by Sage »

Swapped in a GF2Pro. Firstly get the vertical stripes. CTRL-ALT-BCKSPCE gives black screen, monitor OFF, one bark when I hit the hard reset! pfix=ram,nox, nouveau fails to shown 'OK', nv shows horiz stripes at bottom screen. C-A-B, Nothing - black screen. Other options require reboot so unable to test.
Good news is that this is my bench XP so will dump nV cards for Slacko until fix appears.

peebee

missing icons in grub4dos

#294 Post by peebee »

icons missing in grub4dos....
Attachments
Screenshot_2014-01-27_164521.png
(21.45 KiB) Downloaded 1137 times
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

01micko

#295 Post by 01micko »

@Sage and peebee

Woes with the newer kernel and nvidia has forced me back to a 3.4x kernel for the non-PAE version. I think this is a wise choice. Keep your eyes open for beta in the days ahead.

oldyeller

#296 Post by oldyeller »

01micko wrote:@Sage and peebee

Woes with the newer kernel and nvidia has forced me back to a 3.4x kernel for the non-PAE version. I think this is a wise choice. Keep your eyes open for beta in the days ahead.
I too will be looking forward for this. I built a new desktop and can not run any of the newer slackos. Right now I am on slacko 533.

Even when I disable the UEFI I still can not run any of the news :cry:

But I still have my lappy that can use them :D

Cheers

Sage

#297 Post by Sage »

Keep your eyes open for beta ..
Okey dokey, look forward. Good to know you're in command...

01micko

#298 Post by 01micko »

Beta is out!

see main post

gcmartin

#299 Post by gcmartin »

Mick, there is a tremendous amount of excellent work going on with Slackos in Puppyland. Thanks for all you are doing. Looking forward to testing this.

I saw this
My other not so well publicised OS will be shipping with FF-esr-24.X when it's ready.. more soon on that (still slacko/puppy/woof based)
Think you may mean Phat-Slacko. Looking forward to that, as well, for the 32bit PCs.

Testing to follow.

oldyeller

#300 Post by oldyeller »

01micko wrote:Beta is out!

see main post
Downloading it now :D