Seamonkey2.25-en_US-w5.pet

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
watchdog

Seamonkey2.25-en_US-w5.pet

#1 Post by watchdog »

I think it's useful to give this pet for the guys who are still using wary or puppy 4.3x. I have tested it in wary 5.3 but it should work in all such old puppies. It needs only dbus and dbus-glib: in wary you can install them by PPM. In puppy 4.31 there are in this forum suitable dbus and dbus-glib from old debian. The reason because I made this pet is to help some forum's users after a manual test. See for example:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 099#745099

This browser is updateable but it remains shown in menu as seamonkey2.23. Be careful making backup before testing. Enjoy.

Seamonkey 2.23:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9iMb4 ... sp=sharing

EDIT:

Newly packaged seamonkey version 2.25 (with flashplayer) not yet tested. Report your testing after backup your savefile. Download from:

https://copy.com/rdey9jlZWzIU
Last edited by watchdog on Fri 21 Mar 2014, 13:18, edited 1 time in total.

KC1DI

#2 Post by KC1DI »

Thank you for posting :)

nubc

#3 Post by nubc »

As of 1:00 PM Dec 20, 2013, dbus is not available from Official Wary 5 download sites (PPM finds broken links). I haven't tried to install dbus-glib, but it is probably unavailable as well. Can you provide these packages, or suggest a repo for acquiring them?

EDIT: Awesome upgrade! Thanks for the SM pet, watchdog. Thanks for the packages, James C. Those direct links to ibiblio work.
http://www.seamonkey-project.org/releas ... onkey2.23/
ty-ty-ty

PS: I am pleased to see that this version of SM (2.23) still has the browser history drop-down arrows on the Back and Forward buttons. I really miss this feature when I use a recent version of FF, and I wonder how the new versions justify the omission.
Last edited by nubc on Sat 21 Dec 2013, 04:16, edited 6 times in total.

James C

#4 Post by James C »

Attachments
ibiblio.JPG
(24.95 KiB) Downloaded 3767 times

James C

#5 Post by James C »

Just booted up the live cd.... installed the SeaMonkey 2.23 pet as well as dbus and dbus-glib and....
Attachments
test.jpg
(43.24 KiB) Downloaded 3664 times

nubc

#6 Post by nubc »

May I humbly suggest that this post get a sticky in a conspicuous place on the forum. Maybe in Users or How To.

watchdog

#7 Post by watchdog »

nubc wrote:As of 1:00 PM Dec 20, 2013, dbus is not available from Official Wary 5 download sites (PPM finds broken links).
Perhaps you can solve this issue by updating packages lists in PPM: open PPM, configure, update now (if I well remember).

nubc

#8 Post by nubc »

Quite right, watchdog, I neglected to update PPM, now done. Good tip.

It's hard to beat the way BarryK sets up fonts. How much trouble would it be to run Wary5.1.1 as a live CD and import font settings from default SM 2.0.11 to this newer SM 2.23? How would that be done, if possible?

Surprising fringe benefit to the SM upgrade: I haven't experienced a Flash Player crash (necessitating Restart x server) for two days.
Last edited by nubc on Wed 25 Dec 2013, 07:56, edited 1 time in total.

watchdog

#9 Post by watchdog »

nubc wrote: How much trouble would it be to run Wary5.1.1 as a live CD and import font settings from default SM 2.0.11 to this newer SM 2.23? How would that be done, if possible?
I don't know. I never applied at font settings. Wait more experienced users to help.

nubc

#10 Post by nubc »

Pfind 4.21
I am having a good experience with SM 2.23 on my Wary 5.1.1 desktops, but I am seeing at least one little snag. It seems Pfind file finder, in particular Pfilesearch, takes a l-o-n-g time to find a file, presumably because it does not remember previous searches, so it thinks it is searching for the first time. I went through Advanced settings to look for the problem, but this did not produce positive results. The way things are organized on my computer, a quick file search is essential. Any suggestions?

If I cancel the search while Pfilesearch is working, the gui disappears, but the search continues, causing everything to become temporarily inoperable, until search completes. In other words, cancelling the search quits the gui, but not the search itself.

Pfind 4.21 (2007-2011)
Pfilesearch (2007-2010)
gtkdialog2
gtkdialog3

Another noticeable problem: After the computer boots up, the first time the Download Manager is generated for the session, the system freezes for about 10 seconds.
Last edited by nubc on Fri 24 Jan 2014, 07:05, edited 5 times in total.

watchdog

#11 Post by watchdog »

I have had a little experience with wary 5.1.1: very fast. I can suggest to update gtkdialog; I have used this:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/pet_pa ... 246-w5.pet

Have a look to the pfind's thread:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=15136

I have not tested it so backup and then you can test updating your pfind (after updating gtkdialog).

nubc

#12 Post by nubc »

Thanks for the links, watchdog. You are saying to upgrade gtkdialog to version 4, and then upgrade pfind to version 5.12? Could you be more specific about backing up, or point me to a tutorial. After installing, what kind of breakage should I be looking for, assuming problems are not obvious.

watchdog

#13 Post by watchdog »

You can install gtkdialog4 for wary from the above link: it works, I have already tested it. BK recommended gtkdialog update in old puppies. There is another package for puppy 4 series' users that I recommend and that I have already tested:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/pet_pa ... 3-i486.pet

If you want to update pfind to the last version to test it if faster I suggest to before backup your save file: are you using frugal install? Boot your wary in ram mode (from CD boot option "boot: puppy pfix=ram") and copy your savefile to backup it (right-click on the savefile and choose Copy appending "bk" to its name). Then boot with the savefile and install the new pfind to test it in your wary. If you are using full install I suggest to boot the CD in ram mode and test gtkdialog4 upgrade and latest pfind in a live and then install in your system if all is working. Good luck.

nubc

#14 Post by nubc »

I should have mentioned that I have full-installed Wary 5.1.1. As a precaution, I could do everything from live CD before I try it on my actual OS. But as to backing up, or uninstalling, I'm not at all familiar. I've got plenty of space, so I probably should save a snapshot of my system folders.

nubc

#15 Post by nubc »

The upgrade to gtkdialog4 and pfind 5.12/5.05 was very unsatisfactory, and I do not have a working Pfind at this point.
1. Upgrading to gtkdialog4 did not improve search speed.
2. Upgrading to pfind 5.12/5.05 installs a pfind gui which is undesirably large and over-complicated. (advanced settings dialog)
3. Search results of upgraded pfind are not clickable. BIG drawback.
4. Multiple installs and uninstalls have broken the Pfind program.

Code: Select all

# pfind

** ERROR **: gtkdialog: Error in line 454, near token '<variable>': syntax error

aborting...
#
After substituting all instances of pfind, gtkdialog, and pfilesearch in live CD to full install of Wary 5.1.1, I still get errors when doing a search:

Code: Select all

# pfind

** ERROR **: GtkDialog: Could not find the dialog description in the environment variable 'MAIN_DIALOG'.
aborting...
/usr/local/pfind/pfind: line 438:  4493 Aborted                 gtkdialog3 is /usr/sbin/gtkdialog3

** ERROR **: GtkDialog: Could not find the dialog description in the environment variable 'MAIN_DIALOG'.
aborting...
/usr/local/pfind/pfind: line 438:  4721 Aborted                 gtkdialog3 is /usr/sbin/gtkdialog3
EXIT="Ready"

aborting...
/usr/local/pfind/pfind: line 438:  5781 Aborted                 gtkdialog3 is /usr/sbin/gtkdialog3
rm: cannot remove `/tmp/searchresult5567': No such file or directory
rm: cannot remove `/tmp/searchresult3656': No such file or directory

There is no Pfind entry in Menu under Filesystem, so I must call pfind from console. The search seems to proceed normally, which is to say, very slowly, since upgrading Seamonkey. Search results can be double-clicked.

Can someone please advise how to restore the Menu entry for Pfind.

EDIT: Successfully restored Pfind to Menu tree. Crisis over. Now I have to decide which version of Wary to install to new hdd.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=92618

nubc

#16 Post by nubc »

I'll probably be upgrading my main box to Wary 5.5. But I still have 2 machines running 5.1.1, and so resolving the slow Pfind problem is important to me. Surely, someone knows how Pfind/pfilesearch works, and can diagnose the symptom that each search is like an initial search, long and thorough. In a perfectly functioning Pfind, there must be a temporary storage of the initial search results, such that subsequent searches are much shorter in duration. How exactly does Pfind perform subsequent searches so quickly?

Watchdog, let me know if you think this query is off-topic, and I'll post it elsewhere. On the other hand, I think this issue is critical to the Seamonkey upgrade, and needs a good resolution.

Let's see, Wary 5.5 runs SM 2.6.1. It's been so long I have forgotten minimum Seamonkey requirements for installing ABP, which is why I needed to upgrade Seamonkey in the first place. If I upgrade Seamonkey 2.6.1 on my new box with watchdog's PET , Pfind probably won't have the slowness problems in Wary 5.5, but I don't know that for sure. What are the current minimum requirements for Seamonkey in order to install/use/update ABP? Have other users with a later Wary (5.2+) experienced any problems with slow Pfind after upgrading with Watchdog's PET?

nubc

#17 Post by nubc »

I've installed this SM 2.23 pet on a full install of Wary 5.3, upgrading the original 2.6.1. After the upgrade, I opened Add-ons Manager and noticed a red bar at the top asking if I want to check for updates, and strongly suggesting that I do so. Should I do this update, or ignore it indefinitely?

watchdog

#18 Post by watchdog »

nubc wrote:I've installed this SM 2.23 pet on a full install of Wary 5.3, upgrading the original 2.6.1. After the upgrade, I opened Add-ons Manager and noticed a red bar at the top asking if I want to check for updates, and strongly suggesting that I do so. Should I do this update, or ignore it indefinitely?
You can update seamonkey as you are asked: the pet I provided installs seamonkey without touching the built-in seamonkey: If you look at Menu-Internet you can launch both but you must save, backup and use the proper /root/.mozilla profile for each seamonkey. The updated seamonkey remains shown at menu as version 2.23 but it is indeed updated.
About pfind I have done a use not hard of it: I can't figure out your problem. I see a pfind working in wary 5.1.1, 5.3, 5.5. I prefer wary 5.3 because user Monsie reported a buggish usb sticks detection by wary 5.5. But it is only affection I suppose.
You can post here your problem with pfind if you like: you can have more visibility by posting in separated thread in users section of the forum.

nubc

#19 Post by nubc »

I had to downgrade from Wary 5.3 to Wary 5.1.2 (in order to get a functioning VLC) and I can report that Pfind is behaving normally in Wary 5.1.2.

nubc

#20 Post by nubc »

This may seem a minor annoyance, but I would like to fix it. The way I have learned to start a new instance of Seamonkey is to click 'Browser Window' from this pathway:
File > New > Browser window
In Seamonkey 2.23, 'Browser Window' is the second item in a drop-down list of six options. Normally, it is the first item in the list, not the second. I would like to make it the first item in the drop-down list, which is easier to select in a single sweep of the mouse pointer. How do I change the order of this drop-down list?
Last edited by nubc on Mon 17 Mar 2014, 16:21, edited 1 time in total.