"Sorry, cannot start X...

Booting, installing, newbie

"Sorry, cannot start X...

#1 Post by Guest »

File /usr/x11r6/bin/x missing

unable to mount usr_cram.fs to /usr

what does all this mean?

once i rebooted the machine, i could not run puppy anymore!???

i tried pulling my usb key out to load everything into ramdisk, but then it asked for a login and password??

JohnMurga
Site Admin

#2 Post by JohnMurga »

Is this Kyle ?

If so (From IRC-ish):

Code: Select all

<JohnMurga> Try extracting the file inside the pup001.zip to the root of your C drive ...
<JohnMurga> And then try again ;-)
<JohnMurga> Dunno ... Something to try
... Minutes later
<kyle> success!
<Flash0> !!!!
<JohnMurga> Cool, what did you do ???
<kyle> i deleted and re extracted the pup001 file
<kyle> and miraculously it booted
<JohnMurga> From the Zip file ? Cool :-)
Cheers
JohnM

nduanetesh
Ultra Super-stud

#3 Post by nduanetesh »

I had those exact same error messages when booting puppy from a USB key on my parents' computer. From what I could tell, it seemed that puppy lost track of the key halfway through bootup*, and couldn't copy everything it needed to run. Thus, X didn't get copied, and usr_cram cannot be read (and so cannot be mounted).

Your statement "i tried pulling my usb key out to load everything into ramdisk" is a little worrisome. You don't say exactly *when* you pulled your key out, but if you did it while the computer was attempting to read or write from the key, or if you pulled it out (god forbid) during bootup, you're definately going to have some problems. In those scenarios, you'd almost surely end up with data corruption on the key, and I would suggest that your best option is to reinstall puppy onto the key and try again.

By the way, puppy always loads itself totally into ramdisk. You don't need to remove your key to make this happen.

ND

* definition "lost track of the key halfway through bootup" == I had my usb key plugged into one of the USB ports on the front of the case, which are apparently recognized as a foreign hub of some sort. The light on the key which shows that it's connected went out about halfway through bootup, while some errors rolled up the screen regarding USB (don't remember the exact error messages--particularly not at this hour). Then the boot process stopped with the errors mentioned in the original post of this thread. When I plugged the key into one of the usb ports on the back of the 'puter, it booted perfectly.

#4 Post by Guest »

i dont have enough space on the hard disk to extract the pup zip file. i have only 150mb free.

any ideas about the login/pwd it asks for

nduanetesh
Ultra Super-stud

#5 Post by nduanetesh »

You mean the pup001.zip file? For now, try to get things rolling without a pup zip file. Unless your disk is formatted as NTFS (WindowsXP), puppy will create its own pup001 file of the appropriate size when it boots. Even if it can't create a pup001 file, puppy will still run just fine, but your personal settings won't be saved at the end of your session.

Exactly when does it ask for a user name and password?

ND

#6 Post by Guest »

it asks right after trying to load the usr_cram file onto ramdisk

nduanetesh
Ultra Super-stud

#7 Post by nduanetesh »

Guest, are you also posting about this same problem in the "bugs" forum? Are you the guy with the 4x CDrom drive that wouldn't boot? Because I've been talking to a guy over there with a very similar situation...

I'm just asking because if they are both you, it would be easier to work this out in one thread rather than two.

I have no idea why puppy is asking for a username and password. Theoretically this should never happen. Anyone have any ideas? Anyone?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#8 Post by Flash »

nduanetesh wrote:Guest, are you also posting about this same problem in the "bugs" forum? Are you the guy with the 4x CDrom drive that wouldn't boot? Because I've been talking to a guy over there with a very similar situation...

I'm just asking because if they are both you, it would be easier to work this out in one thread rather than two.

I have no idea why puppy is asking for a username and password. Theoretically this should never happen. Anyone have any ideas? Anyone?
This has come up in Puppy's chat and been resolved. Apparently Puppy sees a pup001 file somewhere which is corrupted or misconfigured. The solution is to find the file on the hard drive or USB flash drive and delete it. Then Puppy will boot as if it were the first time.

nduanetesh
Ultra Super-stud

#9 Post by nduanetesh »

Good to know. Thanks Flash. I will have to file this info away in case this comes up again.

BTW, the two identical, nearly simultaneous posts made me chuckle.

#10 Post by Guest »

yes, that is me. im very sorry.

as for puppy, it says 'cannot find a suitable partition for your personal data file'. so i press enter and it attempts to load the usr_cram file onto ramdisk. i have 128mb ram, and 150mb free disk space.

it begins to load the .fs file onto ramdisk. then it says cannot mount home device. there are lots of files puppy tried to write to /root. but it cannot do so because 'no space left on device'

newuser

#11 Post by newuser »

i will continue here for help, instead of the 'bugs' section.

i dont intend to use my USB key nor my newer cd drive..but i wanted to test if puppy could run on the pentium 400mhz machine.

now, i found the pup001 file on the USB key, so i deleted it.

how did puppy corrupt the file?

if i could, my vision is to somehow get a CDR to work with my 4x CDROM, and loading puppy into ramdisk or even to my harddrive(FAT16) without the use of the usb key. i just want to surf the internet and MSN with Puppy. i dont need to run any games.

i have not found a way to burn puppy onto a CDR that work on the 4x CDROM yet. there must be some code at the beginning or end of the CD that the CD Drive doesnt recognize, or that the CD is too reflective..i am just assuming these things.

i like puppy, havent tried 'damn small linux' and i dont intend to, as puppy could the same job. i cant wait for the new version to come out, but i have no clue what new things there will be in the release.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#12 Post by Flash »

newuser wrote:i will continue here for help, instead of the 'bugs' section.

i dont intend to use my USB key nor my newer cd drive..but i wanted to test if puppy could run on the pentium 400mhz machine.

now, i found the pup001 file on the USB key, so i deleted it.
Did that fix the problem?
how did puppy corrupt the file?
Who knows? I believe there are some unresolved issues with operating Puppy off USB flash drives. I'm sorry but that's about all I can say, except keep searching the Puppy website and Wiki and this forum.
if i could, my vision is to somehow get a CDR to work with my 4x CDROM, and loading puppy into ramdisk or even to my harddrive(FAT16) without the use of the usb key. i just want to surf the internet and MSN with Puppy. i dont need to run any games.

i have not found a way to burn puppy onto a CDR that work on the 4x CDROM yet. there must be some code at the beginning or end of the CD that the CD Drive doesnt recognize, or that the CD is too reflective..i am just assuming these things.
I think I've seen detailed instructions somewhere on the Puppy website or maybe the Wiki describing how to burn a bootable CD in Puppy using Gcombust CD writer (in Start/Multimedia.) If you are able to boot Puppy from the USB flash drive, try using it to burn a bootable Puppy CD from the .iso on the hard drive. I've burned several bootable CD-RWs with Gcombust in Puppy and they all worked fine. The hardest part for me was telling Gcombust where the .iso file was.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#13 Post by Lobster »

You assume that you have x4 so it burns at x4?

It may be more reliable at x2 and I would try x1
for max reliabilty

look here:
http://www.goosee.com/puppy/wikka/AbsoluteBeginners

choose from Burning CD for Windows or Puppy
(probably Windows to start)

The BurnCDcc is a a great program - it only does one thing - create an ISO image

Burn Baby Burn :twisted:
:roll:
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

#14 Post by Guest »

no, after i deleted the pup001 file, i couldnt boot anything on the old computer, and it gives me the same error ' cannot mount device,etc, and asks for user/password

nduanetesh
Ultra Super-stud

#15 Post by nduanetesh »

Hi guys,
We've been discussing this in another thread in the "bugs" section, and he says that he tried his CD in a newer computer and it booted just fine...so the problem is not with his burning method, it's with his very old Cdrom drive. I think the drive is either failing or simply too old to be booted from. (He swapped a newer cdrom drive into the same computer and it booted just fine.) So, aside from a firmware upgrade, which could possibly do the trick (if one is even available), I think the best option is to plop down $10 for a new cdrom drive.

Now, to the question of why puppy apparently can't see his hard drive with 150mb of free space, and won't put a pup001 file there...any ideas? He told me in the other thread that it's formatted fat16, so that shouldn't be the problem...

just for the sake of being thorough...you *have* tried to boot *without* the ubs key plugged in, right? We need to make sure that puppy's only option is to go to the hard drive for the pup001 file. Also, 128mb of ram should be Ok...but it's sort of borderlilne, isn't it?

the error you described in your last post (after deleting pup001) from the usb key makes me think that you've got a corrupt pup001 file on the hard drive. So, try to hunt that down and delete that one too.

ND

BTW, Guest, do you have a name?[/i]

danleff

#16 Post by danleff »

These older cdrom drives are not capable of booting cdrw media and in some cases, home burned cd-r media. I just had to burn Puppy 1.0.2 RC2 three times to finally get it to work on my system, at 1X speed.

The same issue as well with the other burned cd's not being able to find usr_cram.fs on the cd-r disk, as well as X until I burned it at 1X. It looks like a drive read-seek error on the previous 2 burns, so /usr is not loaded.

cp: /usr: no such file or directory error on boot.

Burn them slow guys...at 60 mb for the iso file, it only takes a few more minutes!

...and mine is a newer dvd/cdrw drive. So, burn speed and the quality of the drive are two variables.
I love it when a plan comes together

--Hannibal Smith

newuser

#17 Post by newuser »

yes, i have tried with and without the usb key after deleting the 001 from the key. there was no 001 file on my harddrive though.

now it's just giving me the same error booting with or w/o the usb key.

sindi

booting puppy 1.07 with loadlin, can't find usr_cram.fs

#18 Post by sindi »

loadlin vmlinuz initrd=image.gz root=/dev/ram0
(and I also tried pmedia=idehd pdev=hda1 psubdir=pup107 and pfile=/dev/hda1/pup107/usr_cram.fs)

Boots to CLI with error message about not finding usr_cram.fs after looking for it on (nonexistent) cdrom.

ro instead of root=/dev/ram0 got me a kernel panic and message about not finding init.

I found a suggestion to use tiny.exe instead of loadlin.exe.
tiny.exe has been replaced by some large graphical loader.
I am used to loadlin. It works in puppy 3 and 4.

I want OSS for a Winbook 300Mhz where ALSA sound won't work but I know OSS sound does, and also ipchains (2.4 kernel). A previous puppy 1.0.x would probably be good enough if it boots.

Instructions I found were to copy the fs to /root and reboot. but this is a frugal install.

Loadlin also does not work with puppy 5. It is helpful for trying out puppies without burning a CD or editing lilo or grub.

Using a 2003 DELL D600 with USB floppy drive - puppy kept looking for files there, and found the other two files on hard drive.

sindi

Booted puppy 1.0.7 to CLI with loadlin

#19 Post by sindi »

Boot as above, when told usr_cram.fs is not mounted on /usr
mkdir /mnt/hda1
mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1
cd /mnt/hda1/pup107
mount -o loop usr_cram.fs /usr

This produces a page of errors messages about filesystems and CD-ROM
but mountts the files on /usr/

xorgwizard, choose Xorg (Xvesa not usable with i810), choose 1024x768x16,
black screen (crash), implying Xorg could not handle my i810 2003 video.

Turn off computer.

By running 1.0.7 (2005) from live CD before this I determined that
(1) it uses iptables not ipchains which I was after
(2) it does not support 2005 wireless cards (cardbus with WPA2 or even without),
mainly only orinoco and aironet and variants.
(3) wizard did not identify my card and assign it a module but I had to load it manually (broadcom).
(4) no sound wizard .
(5) I won't be using Puppy 1 so no need to boot it with loadlin and learn how to make Xorg behave on here.