NFS Gui for easy file sharing

Filemanagers, partitioning tools, etc.
mikeb

NFS Gui for easy file sharing

#1 Post by mikeb »

Ok though I should package up the NFS dialog I made for Lucid which was aimed at providing easy config of NFS shares assuming the kernel modules are present. Lucid has them but older pups may not. See here for those.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 85&t=45090

The gui automatically adds configs and starts daemons when first run and gives the option to add mounted shares on the fly. You can still manually add shares and start daemons as described in the other how to and that does not interfere with this app. Basically the idea is to give no brainer usability.

Newer pups may not work...I had to use newer rpc /nfs binaries for slax 7 for example but perhaps some feed back here might help sort out compatibility. I do have the files from there to test with. Also noticed mount-FULL lacks nfs support on puppy but busybox is ok which this app should be using via mount.

Also included is a simple daemon that maintains a list of active machines on the LAN every 5 minutes for faster launching...it also keeps my wifi connected :) . Just use by adding /etc/bin/keep_alive & to /etc/rc.d/rc.local .

Note that if you edit /etc/hosts you can give friendly names to your shares which will be used ..eg fred-sda2

mike
Attachments
NFS_gui-1.0.pet
(152.03 KiB) Downloaded 746 times
NFS-mounter.png
(24.4 KiB) Downloaded 1608 times
Last edited by mikeb on Thu 28 Nov 2013, 21:52, edited 2 times in total.

mikeb

#2 Post by mikeb »

Watch this space if theres nothing better to do...

01micko

Re: NFS Gui for easy file sharing

#3 Post by 01micko »

mikeb wrote:Ok though I should package up the NFS dialog I made for Lucid which was aimed at providing easy config of NFS shares assuming the kernel modules are present. Lucid has them but older pups may not. See here for those.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 85&t=45090

The gui automatically adds configs and starts daemons when first run and gives the option to add mounted shares on the fly. You can still manually add shares and start daemons as described in the other how to and that does not interfere with this app. Basically the idea is to give no brainer usability.

Newer pups may not work...I had to use newer rpc /nfs binaries for slax 7 for example but perhaps some feed back here might help sort out compatibility. I do have the files from there to test with. Also noticed mount-FULL lacks nfs support on puppy but busybox is ok which this app should be using via mount.

Also included is a simple daemon that maintains a list of active machines on the LAN every 5 minutes for faster launching...it also keeps my wifi connected :) . Just use by adding /etc/bin/keep_alive & to /etc/rc.d/rc.local .

Note that if you edit /etc/hosts you can give friendly names to your shares which will be used ..eg fred-sda2

mike
Sorry Mike, was just diverting a heavy spam attack :cry:
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

mikeb

#4 Post by mikeb »

aw and I thought I had my first reply :(

mike

Puppus Dogfellow

#5 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

mike, i've installed this on four computers sharing an internet connection. what do i need to do to make the machines aware of which partitions each is sharing?

gui shows nothing other than what was shared by the machine in front of me (precise 5.5, 5.6.1, 5.7, 5.7.1). never had much success with networking, so i'm sure i must be doing something wrong...

mikeb

#6 Post by mikeb »

Ok well the idea is the gui does the background stuff.

drives that can be shared are on the right...double clicking them will add them to the shares list on the left which are mounted by double clicking on them. Other machines should follow the same procedure to appear on the list..a refresh may be needed when new shares are added.

If this is not happening then time to look a little more closely .

Can you mount a share on the same machine?
Are firewalls being used other than the router?

mike

Puppus Dogfellow

#7 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

mikeb wrote:Ok well the idea is the gui does the background stuff.

drives that can be shared are on the right...double clicking them will add them to the shares list on the left which are mounted by double clicking on them. Other machines should follow the same procedure to appear on the list..a refresh may be needed when new shares are added.

If this is not happening then time to look a little more closely .

Can you mount a share on the same machine?
Are firewalls being used other than the router?

mike
pretty sure there's no firewall on at least three of the four (i stopped automatically setting it up at install some time around installing precise 5.5 for the first time. big laptop's install may predate that.
as to "mount a share"--i'm so unfamiliar with networks that that seems like some kind of weird esoteric jargon to me. i've gotten one ftp type thing to work, and i've had some success with Kontrolpack---

so, uh, not sure if i can mount a share.

:? :oops: :)

i can get the partitions to show a green check--they never appear in the other side of the box though.

mikeb

#8 Post by mikeb »

Newer pups may not work...I had to use newer rpc and nfsd binaries for slax 7 for example but perhaps some feed back here might help sort out compatibility. I do have the files from there to test with. Also noticed mount-FULL lacks nfs support on puppy but busybox is ok which this app should be using via mount.
from my first post.... unfortunately it may well be the problem in this case..... most likely you will need to get the portmap and nfsd packages specifically for precise .... or it may be that precise lacks some of the kernel modules needed. You would probably not want to get into the nitty gritty of this or don't feel familiar enough.

There is a more detailed NFS thread but nothing has ever been contributed for precise or slacko for that matter which is unfortunate as NFS is the native linux/unix method of file sharing.

You sound like you need somethings thats 'install and go' which is lacking for recent puppies which is why I made the thread in the hope that users of such might shed some light on the current status.

mike

Puppus Dogfellow

#9 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

mikeb wrote:
Newer pups may not work...I had to use newer rpc and nfsd binaries for slax 7 for example but perhaps some feed back here might help sort out compatibility. I do have the files from there to test with. Also noticed mount-FULL lacks nfs support on puppy but busybox is ok which this app should be using via mount.
from my first post.... unfortunately it may well be the problem in this case..... most likely you will need to get the portmap and nfsd packages specifically for precise .... or it may be that precise lacks some of the kernel modules needed. You would probably not want to get into the nitty gritty of this or don't feel familiar enough.

There is a more detailed NFS thread but nothing has ever been contributed for precise or slacko for that matter which is unfortunate as NFS is the native linux/unix method of file sharing.

You sound like you need somethings thats 'install and go' which is lacking for recent puppies which is why I made the thread in the hope that users of such might shed some light on the current status.

mike
guess i'll keep poking around the pile then.

too bad--sharing by partition seems like a nice convenience.

darren

mikeb

#10 Post by mikeb »

Yes sorry..I am a user with the odd thing to help other users... what puppy chooses to support is out of my hands...

Shame as NFS is simple, fast and light ... we been using it for years including with windows.

mike

Puppus Dogfellow

#11 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

mikeb wrote:Yes sorry..I am a user with the odd thing to help other users... what puppy chooses to support is out of my hands...

Shame as NFS is simple, fast and light ... we been using it for years including with windows.

mike
regardless of what puppy supports, you couldn't possibly be more helpful, mike.

sunburnt

#12 Post by sunburnt »

Hi Mike; Long time no talk to... How`s it going?

I was thinking that this was a perfect app for making a AppDir out of.
It`s small and really useful. I don`t see if it does private and public shares.
Sadly NFS is not as popular as SMB, but it`s better in most ways.

I think Samba could be trimmed from about 50 MB to 5 MB or so and be useful.
Really need NFS for Weeners... Or if M$ could just roll over and die... :twisted:

Also I wanted a script to list all NFS shares so they can be linked in Rox and Xfe.
HotPup, Rox`s desktop icons could be expanded this way to include NFS & SMB.
Perhaps you could provide a few examples for using: showmount

mikeb

#13 Post by mikeb »

Private or public.... think that more depends on whether you expose it to the internet and portmap / rpc ports have to be included (check rpcinfo -p {IP}....not heard of that happening for probably obvious reasons ....something more for an encrypted system like webdav or sftp, or sshfs?
Fastest way to infect a windows computer is to expose rpc/samba to the internet...2 minutes I managed :D

Size...well a winner... a sprinkle of standard small kernel modules and the odd small binary. Speed is usually higher than samba since udp can be used though tcpip is available....the server decides who can connect rather than a clients needs to authenticate itself. There is samba-tng which is smaller apparently. By the way the long list in my example is because I added qemu access which is handy.

Its also available on windows.... a small part of services for unix I use though there are others methods. vista/7 support it but only the professional versions unfortunately.

Yes merging into whatever method is used to display drives makes sense... the fiddliest bit is getting ip's of available machines... I have used nmap but mpscan does the job if you kick it into life.

bash-3.1# showmount -e 192.168.1.3
Export list for 192.168.1.3:
/mnt/sda1 192.168.1.2/255.255.255.0
/mnt/hda3 127.0.0.0/255.255.255.0,192.168.1.2/255.255.255.0

is the basic usage...you should easily see whats involved from the GUI .
After all the likes of konqueror do such things but something more cute would be nice.
This gui originally just listed shares..... the shares were done using the normal start up daemon and an exports list but some found setting it up a bit too command lineish so I added the bit to configure and start the shares. Also handy if you do odd things like plugin a SD card and share it to the loony upstairs who wants some photos off it, or play a DVD but you don't have a drive.

We tend to used on the fly mounting/sharing a lot since machines are turned on and off randomly...soft mounts are used for graceful disconnections.

mike

sunburnt

#14 Post by sunburnt »

Thanks for the reply Mike; I was thinking LAN pw/no-pw type access. Web is another beast.
I used NFS about 15 years ago on Woody as an experiment in music sharing.
I`ll get a chance to examine your gui this week, and check out nmap and mpscan.

If the other guys doing Debian-Live Puppy want it, is it okay to include this.?

Also I recall you having an FTP gui, but maybe I`m wrong, I did find your DropBox gui.

And... How did your rewrite of Zigbert`s pBurn go.? We are collecting tiny apps to include.

mikeb

#15 Post by mikeb »

Yes go ahead... bear in mind you will want the portmap and nfsd binaries from the repo you are using for the build.. Also not every mount I have come across around here has had NFS support so one to look out for if problems.

ftp...I helped out with the curlftpfs in puppy years ago but thats about it.

NFS access is basically set by the server...the share specifies address ranges allowed and level of access. The gui is puppy like in giving root access with read/write. Clients can choose say read only and sub directories within the limits set by the server.

pburn...ah yes...well the recent change was basically testing out yad with an existing app to see how it could be used. What I have is forked from about version one with on the fly audio burning. Not sure if its suitable for general use though i use it regularly.

mike

sunburnt

#16 Post by sunburnt »

Many more thanks Mike; I`ll check and see what we have cooking for a burn app.
Thanks for the hints at potential problems with NFS.
And I`ll check on Debian installs of portmap and nfsd for sizes and deps.

slavvo67

#17 Post by slavvo67 »

I was watching your 2nd post for a long time but nothing happened! Then, I decided to download. :lol:

It looks like a good tool!

mikeb

#18 Post by mikeb »

lol ...well seriously its what the professionals do incase they need to add something later on that needs to keep near the top of the thread.

Hope its useful to you and bear in mind the status of recent puppies and NFS (ie getting newer utils to match)

mike

slavvo67

#19 Post by slavvo67 »

I hear you. Yeah, I didn't have much luck but it still was the closest I got to connecting computers wireless. My true weakness. I have 3 pc's all running different puppies in my dining area and I'm running back and forth with USB's to transfer things. LOL One day I'll get there. In the meantime, I keep practicing my bash.....

Best,

Slavvo67

mikeb

#20 Post by mikeb »

Hmm yes you need the nfsd and portmap utils.... and the mount in puppy may or not behave too. And thats assuming the nfs/portmap utils are included...
We have 4 machines which are all linked and indeed does save a lot of running about. One of them has a usb hard drive which is the source or various media...poor mans NAS :) We have even done things like remotely access SDcards and DVD's this way.

Heres a thread I made some time ago...
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 62&t=45090
but the idea of the gui is that it configures itself so only requires the files present but the info might be handy for debugging if you got the urge.

mike