Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 23 Nov 2014, 12:08
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Teaching a Puppy Print Server to Scan
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]  
starhawk

PostPosted: Mon 27 Jan 2014, 13:28    Post subject:  Teaching a Puppy Print Server to Scan
Subject description: Can it be done?

Here's what I have...

Neoware CA19 thin client
400MHz VIA Eden CPU
1gb RAM
4gb CompactFlash card as HDD
Rosewill RNX-N150UBE WiFi b/g/n150 USB wireless card

HP OfficeJet 7410 Printer/Scanner/Copier/Fax

That printer's internal wireless is WiFi "b" -- 11Mbps. Ack! It's been disabled for YEARS because it was too slow when we got it. In fact, that was one of the first things I did with that printer, IIRC.

Important to this thread are also the three computers Mom and I use on a daily basis -- and two that we don't.

"Hoover" (Mom's desktop) -- active duty -- Atom D510 box, custom build with a D510MO Intel motherboard, 4gig RAM (it's the only DDR3 system in the house), and an 80gig HDD. Runs WinXP. Mom named it... something to do with noisy fans, I think...

HP Compaq tc4200 (Mom's *Old* laptop) -- active duty -- Pentium M 1.73GHz CPU, 2gig RAM, and I forget the HDD size Embarassed Runs WinXP.

ASUS 1000HEB Netbook (my trusty dusty backup system) -- active duty -- Atom N270 CPU, 2gig RAM, and a 64gig SSD (I saved my money!). Runs Puppy (!), specifically, X-Slacko 1.0. I haven't upgraded yet to X-Slacko 1.1nonPAE but it WILL happen at some point.

Acer Aspire 5532 (my usual main system) -- standby, recovering from a hardware failure -- AMD somethingorother CPU (I forget Embarassed but it's somewhat more capable than a Core2Duo; I think it's a Turion64x2 of some kind...), 4gig RAM, and a 160gig HDD. Once it's fully set up again (this will be a while) it will dual-boot Win7 Home Premium (74.5gigs HDD space) and X-Slacko 1.1nonPAE (80gigs HDD space).

HP Compaq tc4400 (Mom's *New* laptop) -- standby, until Mom gets around to moving over -- Core2Duo T7200 CPU, 4gig RAM IIRC (might be 3gig) and a 160gig HDD. Win7 Ultimate.

For the record -- Mom believes almost religiously in the Wonderously Amazingly Awesome Windows XP Operating System and is of the firm, nearly unshakable belief that Puppy (and Linux in general) is nothing more than Something For Little Christopher To Play With In His Spare Time. (Christopher is in fact my real first name. Like it matters.) She is utterly oblivious to the massive amounts of sarcasm I use when I refer to Linux as "that weird third operating system that nobody uses" and fails to catch the hint. (She's even skeptical of Win7!) Geez... Rolling Eyes

So what I want to do is this:

(1) Use the Neoware CA19 as a Puppy Print Server -- install a version of Puppy, add in Samba and hpliplite, and configure CUPS+Samba to share the printer over the network. That should be interesting, as I've never mucked with Samba before. However, this thread here by rcrsn51 should help me with that.

(2) IF IT IS POSSIBLE I would also like to also be able to SCAN over the network. I don't know if this is doable -- and that's what I'm hoping to find out with this thread. That way, when Mom needs to scan something, she can drop the page on the 7410's scanning bed, shut the lid, and scan from one of her computers. (Currently the procedure is to bring her creaky Old Laptop and the documents to be scanned into the room where the 7410 resides, plug the 7410 into the laptop, do the scanning, and disconnect and return everything. Yuk.) We do NOT need to care about the document feeder on the 7410 -- it doesn't feed properly -- never has, never will.

I feel confident that I can set up the printer sharing thing. What I want to address in this thread is the other part -- scanning. Can it be done?

EDIT: that CA19 has one gig of RAM, and only one... I don't think it will take 2gig but I'll try it. Apologies to anyone who saw the text saying that it had 2gig already.

rcrsn51

PostPosted: Mon 27 Jan 2014, 14:39    Post subject: Re: Teaching a Puppy Print Server to Scan
Subject description: Can it be done?

starhawk wrote:
What I want to address in this thread is the other part -- scanning. Can it be done?

Yes, and it's easier to set up than shared printing.

1. On the print server machine, install the scanner driver and get the unit working as a local USB device.

2. Install Scanner Share and configure it on the server.

3. Boot another Puppy machine as a client, install Scanner Share on it and confirm that it works.

4. On the XP machine, download SANETwain. Unpack the file sanetwainxxx.zip

5. Copy SaneTwain.ds to the folder c:\windows\twain_32

6. Copy ScanImage.exe to any convenient place on c: and run it

7. If it asks for an IP address, give it the one for the Scanner Share server.

8. The toolbar has both a Preview and Scan button and the usual settings.

This works for me where the server is Slacko 56, the scanner is an HP Deskjet f4280 and the client is an XP machine.

Last edited by rcrsn51 on Tue 28 Jan 2014, 12:18; edited 1 time in total
starhawk

PostPosted: Mon 27 Jan 2014, 14:42    Post subject:  

OK, one more question -- can it be made to work with WinXP's built in scanner software (aka Windows Scanner And Camera Wizard) or does that not support networked scanners?

EDIT EDIT EDIT: where the **** are my manners?! Thanks for helping! (which I should've put as the first line of this post, before typing anything else...)

rcrsn51

PostPosted: Mon 27 Jan 2014, 14:45    Post subject:  

starhawk wrote:
OK, one more question -- can it be made to work with WinXP's built in scanner software (aka Windows Scanner And Camera Wizard) or does that not support networked scanners?

I never tested that. But it would be easy for you to find out once you have it working.
starhawk

PostPosted: Mon 27 Jan 2014, 15:10    Post subject:  

I can do that.

Next question -- is it possible to configure Puppy to run like a "real server" -- no keyboard, mouse, or screen, and login by SSH.

Tricky bit is that the nature of my home network means (AFAIK) it HAS to have a dynamic IP address. The modem/router that brings in the 'Net is a Verizon Wireless MiFi 4620LE; I don't think it'll let me set static IP addresses, but I can check that with a phone call.

rcrsn51

PostPosted: Mon 27 Jan 2014, 15:18    Post subject:  

I would suggest that you read the full Samba-TNG How-To and get something running before you ask more questions.
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: