Make Puppy web based?

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
CIMC.BIZ

Make Puppy web based?

#1 Post by CIMC.BIZ »

As much as we can make applications "Web Based" .. My ideal would be to "boot to the Internet in to web based Firefox then use "Web Based" applications. In other words make all applications like "Web Based Email".

YOUR preferences could be stored on the net to be accessed and initiated by log and pass.

doopdoop

#2 Post by doopdoop »

If I understand you correctly, you're main concern is saving your settings to the net (and not e.g. on an usb stick) ? Or do you really prefer to use web-based applications ? Which could that be and how could a mini distribution help with that ? Do you have a use case, which is not covered by traditional web services like web mail or online banking ?
Concerning saving your config to the net, another mini distribution, Slax, has a new feature called Webconfig, which does exactly that - you can specify a password and it will load your personal settings (up to 8mb) from a web server.
I have not used it, though, and Puppy and Slax have a different attidute towards saving the settings, so implementing that in Puppy may be more difficult.

rarsa

#3 Post by rarsa »

Actually 'Web based' applications are not dependant on the OS being used. They are completelly independent (at least in theory).

So.. to have an OS to completelly depend on Web based applications (like the set-top boxes) you will need the Web applications on the first place, and those would surelly need to run in a High availability/High scalability platform (HW/SW).

Bottom line, Nothing prevents you from using only Web based applications in puppy. But those Net based applications have nothing to do with Puppy.

I hope this clarifies the issue.

CIMC.BIZ

we Based

#4 Post by CIMC.BIZ »

Web based is not dependant on O.S. as much as Browser dependant ...

But then "the browse"r ..is O. S. dependant.. if it is one of the better ones like Firefox, Opera, Mozzila, Netscape and IE. I prefer Firefox.

I burnt a PUPPY iso. to CD just so I could get it to a USB THUMB DRIVE.

I use computers that boot from the USB and have no CD, floppy or HD. I can not upgrade puppy or firefox without burning a new CD.

If you could just "boot strap to the net" then have the

Below is a source for a 512k LINUX DEMO file "that is awesome" in that AFTER it get to the web through a very VERY small part of Firefox to STARTUP the full Firefox finishes loading from the web. THEN I can go to my web based WEBSITE designer, web based email, web base spellcheck...
in all 23 different sites to do all that I do every day. That app is an exe file
that has to run in windose ( yes spelling intended) I'm trying very hard to DIVORCE MICRO SOFT... and PUPPY has taken me almost there.

A short while ago I booted from a 1gig LG USB and have as I type 27 tabs in one Firefox window and two additional widows open. I do use them.

Of course I can save PUPPY from ram back to the USB BUT I can NOT upgrade PUPPY or FIREFOX.

http://opensource.region-stuttgart.de/i ... =8&sub=8_0

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#5 Post by GuestToo »

i upgrade to the latest Puppy by downloading the iso, mounting the iso (something like
mount -o loop puppy.iso /mnt/linux5 ... then i copy vmlinuz, image.gz, and usr_crams.fs to hda1, where i have Puppy installed)

i install the latest Firefox by downloading it somewhere (/root is ok) ... unzipping it, and running it

by the way, i usually download large files using wget

#6 Post by Guest »

All well and good if you have a fast connection....

Are we going to see a complete filp in a few years and back to mainframe computing ?

CIMC.BIZ

#7 Post by CIMC.BIZ »

Thanks GuestToo! For ideas.

I wish I knew more about LINUX ... I'm haveing a much harder time than
I did with dos. I tried installing the newest FireFox 4 times.. Printed
the instructions ... NO SUCESS .. I know it's some small stupid error but
I can't find it and I had to go back to the machine with the "BURNER" each time just to try .. The only way I see is to download the new PUPPY burn it and then install it to the USB. THEN I lose all my settings bookmarks notes
tabs etc.. I have sold computers for 14 years and would like to have one
that operates with NO CD* NO HD* NO 1.44.* NOTHING BUT USB ...
and still be able to upgrade without loseing any data or settings.

What you suggest should copy to the USB thumb as it did to your HD.

Will that change my browser as well? what about BOOKMARKS .. TABs
and NOTES?

Thanks bladehunter!

Yes, that is a good way to describe what I'm
advocateing. (I think) I never useded a mainframe or unix. On a
scale of 1 to 10 in linux I would be a -1. I used DOS before there was
win-dose then all the versions of MS O.S./WINS + OS2.

The more ofe the OS and Browser that is Web Based the more we could
have the lasest upgrades with changing anything locally ... like our
computer was a smart terminal and the Internet was THE MAINFRAME!

Puppy is the most remarkle O.S> I HAVE EVER SEEN .. I play DVD movies
create and maintain wesites ...... do almost EVERYTHING with PUPPY
easier than any other way.

rarsa

#8 Post by rarsa »

As I mentioned before, there have been several attempts at top-set boxes or NET computers where you are soupoused to get all your applications as if they were 'utilities'.

Licencing of the applictions would be based in a per-use basis for example.

So, there have been many efforts (google 'top-set box') but the time has not came for the NET computer. Again, a nice idea but has nothing to do with Puppy or any other particular OS. It depends on the host applications' infrastructure.

Will it ever happen?... I won't make any predictions. Place your bets.

By the way. You must be doing something wrong. Upgrading Puppy does NOT require you to loose any settings or files. Why would you have to wipe out your USB just to copy the newest kernel or usr_cram to the USB?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#9 Post by Flash »

Why Lobster didn't put this post here I don't know. :)

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#10 Post by Lobster »

Hangs head and whiskers in shame . . .
I have no excuse :oops:
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

#11 Post by Guest »

One thing I can never understand is the constant want to have the "Latest and Greatest" when very few have learnt to take advantage of all the features of the previous versions. Ever wondered why mission critical servers and many Enterprise versions of Linux still use early 2.4.2x kernels ?

Same with the latest sportbikes....Just because you have an '06 doesn't mean the loony on the '92 model isn't going to slice you to pieces........Performance really depends on how well trained the user\operator is. Rather than keep getting the latest improve one's skills.

As for mainframe computing over the internet.......Nah.....Interesting as a technology as as a way for MS maybe to stop pirated copies of their OS.

I'm not anti technology just anti "technology for technology's sake"....just because something can be done doesn't make it really pratically worthwhile.

Tho having said that I really should improve my english and spelling skiils..hahahahahaha

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#12 Post by Flash »

The big advantage I can see to running applications over the internet is that it could make it much easier to maintain the applications. Only one program need be debugged, and it only has to work in a few standard browsers. Debugging would therefore be limited to testing the program in a few browsers, rather than the almost limitless number of permutations and combinations of hardware in the real world.

For someone who just wants to do some letter writing, for instance, doing it on a shared remote computer might be more practical than having to install a word processing program, then figure out how to get it to work with his hardware.
Last edited by Flash on Thu 28 Jul 2005, 14:41, edited 1 time in total.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#13 Post by GuestToo »

i think zero-install is interesting http://zero-install.sourceforge.net/filesystem.html
http://zero-install.sourceforge.net/faq.html

i tried Injector, but it downloads and installs packages, rather than individual files ... the kernel-module-zero-install system downloads each individual file if it's needed, when it's needed ... sort of like an automatic package management system that works on each individual file, one file at a time, rather than working on a group of files in a package

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#14 Post by Lobster »

Java (we now have 1.5 as a dotpup - is that java 5?) - 'coz I downloaded a messenger program called qnext that needed java 5 - I set it up and now it has gone missing . . .

What search for my programs? Whatever next . . .

. . . as I was saying Java is the web based language . . .

However I think Xul is Xuler or kewler . . .

If you are hardcore then you might consider writing flash directly in actionscript
- you might win an award . . .
flash oscars
http://www.flashforwardconference.com/f ... s_05ny.asp

:shock:
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

#15 Post by Guest »

Java was meant to be platform independant.........The one source\binary was meant to be able to used on all platforms regardless of OS or architecture....but all I saw it as was interpreted C++.......All together now

"Let's make things slower"

raffy

Changes changes

#16 Post by raffy »

It's the whirlwind of changes that make local installations outdated in a short while. Especially in a local network, one can use a central machine to serve the most recent build of Puppy (and its dotpups). Then all you have to save somewhere is your machine's config and your own preferences.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].