didn't work on 2.14x. this is the error I found
sh-3.00# ThreadGet
sh: line 11: /dev/shm/FORUMEXEC: No such file or directory
chmod: cannot access `/dev/shm/FORUMEXEC': No such file or directory

sh-3.00#

ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

aarf

#22 Post by aarf »

ttuuxxx wrote:didn't work on 2.14x. this is the error I found
sh-3.00# ThreadGet
sh: line 11: /dev/shm/FORUMEXEC: No such file or directory
chmod: cannot access `/dev/shm/FORUMEXEC': No such file or directory

sh-3.00#

ttuuxxx
works in lucii001
dev/shm/FORUMEXEC isn't there at the start but is created after the run starts. must be something stopping that happening in 2.14x

aarf

#23 Post by aarf »

can wget be coaxed into producing mht files? mht has all the images from the page also included in the one mht file. as in mht output from opera.

Aitch

#24 Post by Aitch »

Threadget modified/updated by big_bass as thread_saver

see http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=74404

Aitch :)

count

How to install ThreadGet

#25 Post by count »

Hi there,

I am brand new to Puppy, I am looking for tools for handling data, and ThreadGet would appear to be perfect for my needs.

I have just installed Slacko Puppy (yeah and within minutes of booting from the CD, here I am, impressive!)

I moved off Windows about 3-4 year ago and have been using Ubuntu, and now Mint KDE. I am getting into the lInux way of doing things, but still learning fast!

My searches for ThreadGet have shown lots of discussion about ThreadGet, but the only mention about install I can find is someone mentioning it can be found in the repository.

I have tried searching in the repository from this fresh install, and updating and trying other repos in the list, but it always comes up not found for ThreadGet.

Any help on this is really appreciated. I really like the look of Puppy, and i will be looking at using maybe from a usb... but if I can ThreadGet on it it would certainly become a stayer for me I think!

Many many thanks,

davids45

Download and execute the .pet?

#26 Post by davids45 »

G'day count,

I don't quite understand your problem in setting up ThreadGet, so I just did the following to check out ThreadGet:

Using a Slacko Pup, I just downloaded the .pet from the first posting in this thread
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 118#470118,

clicked on its pet icon once it had downloaded so that it installed (with a new menu item in 'Internet').

I ran ThreadGet from the menu and quickly put into one file, the eleven pages of MTP-pet postings (I have an Android pad I now can access from Puppies :) ).

The new html file of these MTP pages is in a directory ForumThreads in /root.

David S.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#27 Post by Flash »

I tried it in Puppy Precise. It seemed to install and said there would be an entry in the Internet section. I couldn't find it at first, so I entered ThreadGet in a console window and the app opened. Later I did see it in the Internet section.

When I tried to download a 3-page thread from the forum, the result was an empty directory in /root titled "Forum threads."
Attachments
ThreadGet test.png
(37.92 KiB) Downloaded 362 times

davids45

Not Here?

#28 Post by davids45 »

G'day Flash,

In the image you posted re your empty ThreadGet directory, I see the number of your Start page as "1 Here".

Did you miss deleting that trailing 'Here' from the text default in the dialogue box?

David S.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#29 Post by Flash »

Well you were right, but when I deleted it, the result was the same.

count

#30 Post by count »

Hi there,

Yes, I totally missed that! I posted this on about my second day on Puppy, and I was looking for it in the repository through the menus - I had seen that thread/post and had completely missed that clickable link, I thought it was a page or screengrab from Threadget itself!

Sorry, you have to understand I am totally new to Puppy and didnt understand the process, but thank you, yes it installed successfuly immediately, That was so easy! Now to play and see what it does...

Puppy so far is shaping up to be my number 2 OS... I have been trying out stripped down KDEs like XFCE etc for my older laptops, but I am liking Puppy right away!

Thanks! :)

gcmartin

This PET worked in FATDOG630

#31 Post by gcmartin »

donwloaded and installed in a pristine FATDOG630. Works! Thanks.

davids45

Spaced Out?

#32 Post by davids45 »

G'day again Flash,

I tried using a file name with a space (as per your posted image with a space in the file name for the htm file) and got nothing in ForumThreads directory.

Using a space-free file name and I got the desired threads file.

It's an old .pet and maybe needs an update to be able to include spaces in the file name?

David S.

tlchost

broken links

#33 Post by tlchost »

No answer to question
Last edited by tlchost on Mon 10 Feb 2014, 07:55, edited 2 times in total.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#34 Post by Flash »

Thanks davids45, I hadn't even thought about the space in the filename. :oops: I'll give it a try without a space and report back, later.

Later: You were right. When I used an underscore instead of a space, ThreadGet downloaded three pages of a thread from the forum and put them in /root/ForumThreads, in a file I told it to name ThreadGet_test. :D

Tclhost: how did you open the html file? When I click on it, it opens in SeaMonkey but the links in the file don't seem to work for me either.

count

#35 Post by count »

Hi davids45 - yep the download of the program worked, and it is running happily, have run some successful tests so far.

HOWEVER - I am looking at using this as a second stage to HTTracker on forum posts hundreds of pages long.

My method is three stages;
1 - Download the original thread to local, (scraping as much out as possible) - also looking at downloading printer versions of threads to strip out the bulk of the html code.
2 - and strip out as much html info as possible, leaving just the posts with related post date/time, poster name, etc;
3 - Put the scraped pages into one html file.

The main difficulty I am having is in running ThreadGet on locally downloaded websites; they maintain the relative file/folder structure, but the html names of the files have changed in the downloaded version.

When ThreadGet runs on the local html files, it 'ghosts' the dialogue boxes on the screen and goes through the motions, and the result is a blank html file.

Apologies if this sounds a bit vague, I am experimenting on the go, I can give more detail or better descriptions of what is happening.

I wondered if anyone had any issues like this when running ThreadGet on locally stored web pages?

Love the app btw, :D

@tlchost - I just wondered on your post - if it has merged all thread pages into one html file then presumably the links to page## and next, last etc will not work as they are now referring to other external pages... would this not require converting those links to # bookmarks referring into the same html page?

Thanks for this cracking little app!

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#36 Post by Flash »

Count: downloading a thread that is hundreds of pages long will slow down the forum's server for everyone else while you're doing it. Please consider that while you're experimenting. :)

count

#37 Post by count »

Flash wrote:Count: downloading a thread that is hundreds of pages long will slow down the forum's server for everyone else while you're doing it. Please consider that while you're experimenting. :)
Hi Flash, yes, thank you, I was aware of that too! It wasn't this forum btw :)

starhawk

#38 Post by starhawk »

May I ask a favor? I'm on actually three forums, and one of them is migrating to phpBB from YaBB (specifically YaBB 1 Gold, Service Pack 1.1). I realize that this YaBB version is particularly antiquated at best (one of the main reasons for the move) BUT could ThreadGet be modified somehow to support it? I'd love to help them with the move, and being able to preserve the old posts is more than a little important.

Google tells me that YaBB is based on Perl, rather than PHP.

The forum in question is here --> http://forum.psion2.org/YaBB.pl

version2013

#39 Post by version2013 »

I was thinking of using ThreadGet or 'Mozilla Archive Format' to make a backup of some threads and host them on my site.
This is for when murga-linux.com goes down, as it does occasionally.

Is this allowed?

Mozilla Archive Format (a browser extension)
http://maf.mozdev.org/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mozilla_Archive_Format

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#40 Post by Flash »

Yes, with proper attribution.