Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 23 Feb 2020, 23:08
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Light-Debian-Core-Live-CD-Wheezy + Porteus-Wheezy
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 82 of 283 [4236 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, ..., 281, 282, 283 Next
sklimkin

PostPosted: Thu 06 Feb 2014, 15:18    Post subject: auto building debian about  

Hi Toni,
Quote:
Toni: Sergey, you maybe will be interested from another project for auto building debian small icewm system with bulding script.

I have read everything there and looked.
This could be useful (partially) at the beginning of the creation of Light-Debian.
For example, some fragments of scripts from Debian-light-builder.tar.gz
But now we have gone too far (and successfully), to go back.
I do not like live-boot ver. > 2.0.15 because it focuses only on one monolithic squashfs-module.
(I see that in the Light-Debian now live-boot version 3.0.23.1 but I missed something, and I continue to refer to it as 2.0.15, sorry).
It is difficult to predict what else will come up mr.Baumann - so I think live-boot is not the best tool to work with squashfs-modules. Poor also the fact that he is the only such a tool for Debian (and in Ubuntu it even worse).

Illusion called "Auto" disappears when start adding to the base-module for more things. Xorg + any-WM already contain some ambiguity = problem.

I enjoy the work of Fred in which he successfully integrated capabilities Porteus and do not hurt Debian.
I will say more: we now use quite a bit of what they allow "cheatcodes Porteus" to boot command line. Those opportunities are immense, but for us to use them will be relevant probably a bit later.

Remastering now in our distribution is much more functional that gives live-tools Debian.

Actual (in my opinion) lead to conform libraries Light-Debian and Porteus-Wheezy. But it is difficult and laborious work.

Sergey.
fredx181

PostPosted: Thu 06 Feb 2014, 16:13    Post subject:  

Quote:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByBgCDlZZ8K5RFhGNjgzOFJnTFk/edit?usp=sharing

Thank you, Fred.
I will include them in the 021-apps-porteus.xzm

Thanks Toni
Can you also test with the EXIT option?
About what you said using 3 modules the system is more stressed, i noticed also that memory usage is a lot higher than the previous light-wheezy with 1 module.
It's nice option to have all in one iso but maybe it's better to separate them in 2 iso's

Fred
saintless

PostPosted: Thu 06 Feb 2014, 16:20    Post subject: Re: auto building debian about  

Hi, Sergey Smile

sklimkin wrote:
But now we have gone too far (and successfully), to go back.

Yes, I agree. But we can learn some things from there and share what we have here.

Quote:
(I see that in the Light-Debian now live-boot version 3.0.23.1 but I missed something, and I continue to refer to it as 2.0.15, sorry).

Just to remind for everyone who is interested:
DebianDog is pure Debian Wheezy build and has the original live-boot v.3.0.23.1 + some manual added files from live-boot v.2 to make sfs-tools from Russian sfs puppy work on DebianDog.
You can boot DebianDog with the original kernel made with live-boot-initramfs-tools v.3. It is uploaded on the site.
The initrd.img (486 and 686) we use in DebianDog as default are made with downgraded live-boot version of DebianDog. I used this downgraded live-boot DebianDog version only to build the initrd.img files and then I deleted this version.
I'm sure Cat-0.2.iso also will boot with initrd1.img from DebianDog and will have /live/cow and /live/image back.

Quote:
I enjoy the work of Fred in which he successfully integrated capabilities Porteus and do not hurt Debian.

Yes, I'm glad Fred has found this thread Smile

Quote:
Remastering now in our distribution is much more functional that gives live-tools Debian.

I'm afraid this is the only option we have. The changes and fixes are so many and we can not reproduce them in the exact order from fresh start.

Toni

Last edited by saintless on Thu 06 Feb 2014, 16:34; edited 1 time in total
saintless

PostPosted: Thu 06 Feb 2014, 16:27    Post subject:  

fredx181 wrote:
Can you also test with the EXIT option?
About what you said using 3 modules the system is more stressed, i noticed also that memory usage is a lot higher than the previous light-wheezy with 1 module.
It's nice option to have all in one iso but maybe it's better to separate them in 2 iso's

Hi, Fred.
I will test the EXIT option.
I also noticed more memory usage with 3 modules.
Till we have DebianDog Beta I will continue updating only one testing squashfs module with 2 kernels included like 01-v3.squashfs
Maybe the idea to separate kernels not worth high ram and cpu usage. I also start to think separate version for each kernel with only one module is the best option. But we have time to decide this later.
I already have separate kernel modules and I will upload them anyway as option.

Toni

sklimkin

PostPosted: Thu 06 Feb 2014, 16:42    Post subject: Install keyboard switcher for XFCE  

Hi All!

Install keyboard switcher for XFCE (I will not ship you this question):
# apt-get update
# apt-get install xxkb - 221 KB of disk space
# apt-get install xfce4-xkb-plugin - 3198 KB of disk space
# apt-get clean

Sergey.
LightDebian-PortDebian_XFCE4_keyboard-switcher.jpg
 Description   Install keyboard switcher for XFCE
 Filesize   108.35 KB
 Viewed   316 Time(s)

LightDebian-PortDebian_XFCE4_keyboard-switcher.jpg

saintless

PostPosted: Thu 06 Feb 2014, 16:45    Post subject:  

Hi, Sergey.
I am also happy XFCE speaks Russian Smile
Thank you!

Toni

sklimkin

PostPosted: Thu 06 Feb 2014, 17:30    Post subject: Cleaning xsession-errors  

Hi All!

Cleaning xsession-errors
In the user's home directory there is a file. Xsession-errors which is appended STDERR output of applications running in the GUI.

The problem is that. Xsession-errors file only knows how to "grow" and need to flush it out somehow or deny Append.

Provides a global way for all users through editing script Xsession, performed by startx or desktop manager such as xdm, gdm, kdm.

patch:
Code:
debian:/etc/X11# diff -u /etc/X11/Xsession.orig  /etc/X11/Xsession
--- /etc/X11/Xsession.orig      2007-11-19 04:50:31.000000000 +0300
+++ /etc/X11/Xsession   2007-11-19 04:50:56.000000000 +0300
@@ -91,7 +91,7 @@
   errormsg "unable to create X session log/error file; aborting."
 fi

-exec >>"$ERRFILE" 2>&1
+exec >"$ERRFILE" 2>&1

echo "$PROGNAME: X session started for $LOGNAME at $(date)

link (Russian): http://avreg.net/howto_icewm.html

Sergey.
fredx181

PostPosted: Thu 06 Feb 2014, 18:38    Post subject:  

Hi Sergey, thanks for the keyboard switch tips.

Hi Toni
About the changes-EXIT I realize that I was to fast with finding a solution, it will however work when exiting as puppy user but it's not foul-proof when other users are created also.
I will come later with "real" solution.

Fred
mcewanw

PostPosted: Thu 06 Feb 2014, 20:55    Post subject:  

mcewanw wrote:

I'm not sure if the second "wait" above is important - I'll try without it.

EDIT: Actually, removing the & from the end of line: /usr/bin/rox -p ... pinbd, and also removing both 'wait' commands seemed to work for me too. Result:

/opt/bin/start-up
Code:
#!/bin/bash
/usr/bin/rox -p /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/ROX-Filer/pinbd
ls /root/Startup/* | while read J
do
   "$J" &
done

But as I say, I haven't tested this much for reliability yet. Perhaps (?) it is more reliable with the wait(s) but I'd try without first.

In regard to my post above at http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=756525#756525

Further testing suggests that a shell "wait" is required after running rox pinbd &, which waits until that background command has completed finished before continuing with the rest of the script. Without it, things are usually fine, but occasionally an annoying small X window will appear over the xterm icon. I have had no problem at all so far with the following in /opt/bin/start-up in conjunction with the rest of the scheme I described at http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=756525#756525:

Code:
#!/bin/bash
/usr/bin/rox -p /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/ROX-Filer/pinbd &
wait
ls /root/Startup/* | while read J
do
   "$J" &
done

There are plenty of ways of re-arranging these startup scripts, but that wait after "rox ... pinbd &" seems to be the key thing.

sunburnt

PostPosted: Fri 07 Feb 2014, 00:51    Post subject:  

I have WallPapers gui working, but there`s a snag in DebianDog. Root has 1 process and puppy has 2.
The first puppy process for wallpapers is the same process number as the process that was running in root.
And sometimes after switching back and forth between root and puppy, there will be 3 process showing.
# It looks like the wallpaper`s process is not terminated when logging out. Are $HOME/Startup apps killed.?

Using ps is trouble because it acts differently in different Linuxes, and it`s rather unreliable in general.
But I know of no other way to tell if wallpapers is running. This is important for starting and stopping it.
And if it has 2 or 3 processes running, then there`s no way to tell which one is relevant. Kill all of them.?

# I`m guessing... Root stays running when logged in as puppy.? So kill the last process in the list.?

I wanted it to detect what app runs the desktop, but I gave up, both Rox and IceWM run at the same time.
mcewanw

PostPosted: Fri 07 Feb 2014, 01:55    Post subject:  

sunburnt wrote:
I have WallPapers gui working, but there`s a snag in DebianDog. Root has 1 process and puppy has 2

Best way could be to save the wallpaper gui pid in an exported variable (e.g. export WALLPAPER_PID=$!) when it is first started and then to kill the pid at logout. Not quite so good would be to save the pid to a file for killiing at logout, but that isn't foolproof. Problem really is finding what iceWM calls at logout though I did come across something aboug "Logout" in one of its config files (but would have to recheck and find it again).

EDIT: in /usr/share/icewm/preferences there is a line:
Code:

#  Command to start logout
# LogoutCommand=""

I've been looking at that for other reasons, but I haven't tried seeing if it can be used to do anything relevant at logout yet; your guess is as good as mine till tried :-) Not sure if /etc/bash.logout or .bash_logout in users home directory would be usefully relevant here or if some other script is currently run on logout. Would be good to know. It would probably be best if it was a more general purpose logout script that didn't rely on bash being the startup shell - that's why I was thinking of iceWM behaviour at logout.

sunburnt

PostPosted: Fri 07 Feb 2014, 02:45    Post subject:  

A good Q is what methods are used to shutdown processes at logout.?

I believe the dir. /etc/init.d has a master script that does (App) start and (App) stop.
This may be the best place to boot start WallPapers. But how to do the "stop".?
Maybe write to the start/stop file itself, there`s one less file to read that way.
Delete last 2 lines, and write a new "kill pid" line to the start/stop script like this:
sed -i '$d;$d' /etc/init.d/wallpapers ; echo "kill $$" >> /etc/init.d/wallpapers
Code:
#!/bin/sh
case "$1" in
   start|restart)
      xxxxxxxxxxx
      xxxxxxxxxxx
      exit ;;
   stop)
      xxxxxxx ;;
esac

kill 12345

I`ve always thought that adding env. variables for this stuff is a good idea too.
$PID_KILL = A list to add pids to for killing at logout or shutdown.

# At least with both of these methods you know where to go and what to do to kill it.
saintless

PostPosted: Fri 07 Feb 2014, 03:27    Post subject:  

Hi, all.
I will try all your suggestions in the next days.

Fred, I will wait for your word on save=EXIT

Terry, I'm sure root stays active when puppy log in. When I logout from puppy and type exit I get stright logged in as root.

William, I will try your suggestions after rereading your posts careful.

Sergey, I will check out your suggestion about xsession

Still much to fix for the beta.

Toni

mcewanw

PostPosted: Fri 07 Feb 2014, 04:54    Post subject:  

sunburnt wrote:

I believe the dir. /etc/init.d has a master script that does (App) start and (App) stop.
This may be the best place to boot start WallPapers.

Aahhh, I forgot about that - you are quite right, a stop script in there should be involved to keep with the way Debian does it.

saintless

PostPosted: Fri 07 Feb 2014, 04:58    Post subject:  

Hi, Terry, William.
Here is what I see about wallpapers.d process in lxtask:
First boot as root I see only one wallpapers.d in lxtask
Logout and login as puppy I see only one wallpapers.d owned by puppy
Logout from puppy login and startx as root I see 2 wallpapers.d owned by root and from time to time one or two more wallpapers.d appears for a few seconds in lxtask. + wmctrl shows up from time to time.

Is it this what you see also, Terry?

Toni

Last edited by saintless on Fri 07 Feb 2014, 05:04; edited 1 time in total
Page 82 of 283 [4236 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, ..., 281, 282, 283 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: