LxPup : a Puppy with LXDE as its desktop environment

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
peebee

#161 Post by peebee »

Marv wrote:One question. Changing themes, the Openbox menu (rightclick on desktop) follows the theme correctly, as do window borders, headers, colors, etc The main menu, browser menus, and the sidebar and selected item colors in PCmanFM do not. They seem to be set at some default active bg and selected item colors. .gtkrc-2.0, .Xdefaults, .Xresources all seem ok. Theme correct in the openbox conf file. Any suggestions where to look? I've played with quite a number of themes and this behavior seems consistent.
Marv has tracked this down to a problem with the librezlooks engine (my bad) which he has solved - thanks Marv - solution will be in next release.
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

vicmz

ZonColor themes

#162 Post by vicmz »

A pet with a collection of awesome themes for Openbox/LXDE & GTK:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 941#754941
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76948]Puppy Linux en español[/url]

peebee

LxPup14.02 available

#163 Post by peebee »

Release versions of:

LxPupPrecise-14.02-retro.iso [based on Precise 5.7.1 non-PAE k3.2.48]
fea30040038dbe66931730fd56f5164f
LxPupPrecise-14.02-pae.iso [based on Precise 5.7.1 PAE k3.9.11]
51eca92c6317e93b3820137cb426d732

are available from:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/lxpup/ ... xPup14.02/

Pre-release version of:

LxPup-14.02-s-4g.iso [based on Slacko5.6.5.6 = Slacko5.7Beta - 4g k3.4.78]

is available from:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/lxpup/ ... e-release/

Pets for Quirky-Tahr 6.0.x [k3.12.6]

are available from:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 489#762489

Cheers
peebee
Attachments
Screenshot_2014-02-08_115357.png
(131 KiB) Downloaded 1355 times
Last edited by peebee on Wed 05 Mar 2014, 20:09, edited 2 times in total.
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

peebee

More updates

#164 Post by peebee »

Also updated to version 14.02:

1c576f40f701ec41d483bf1615b3ba24 LxPupRaring-14.02.iso

1c576f40f701ec41d483bf1615b3ba24 LxPupWheezy-14.02.iso

available from:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/lxpup/f ... -flavours/

konaexpress

#165 Post by konaexpress »

I would like to say thanks to peebee for putting this version of Puppy together, nice job.

Looks like Puppy has come a long way, I have been watching it for a few years now and just got LxPup loaded on a USB drive. Really nice...

I do have a few questions tho....

1. I see that you have the Geany BaCon hack loaded but I do not see bacon.bash or the IDE. Any ideas as to finding this?

2. Is Python loaded in this version as I did not find it in the terminal app Lxterm?

3. Is there an easy way to hook up wifi than using the legacy app in Puppy? Having to type in an IP address is long gone in most modern distros these days. If not, I will deal with it......

Like I said, really nice job on this!

Best regards,
John

peebee

#166 Post by peebee »

konaexpress wrote:I would like to say thanks to peebee for putting this version of Puppy together, nice job.

Looks like Puppy has come a long way, I have been watching it for a few years now and just got LxPup loaded on a USB drive. Really nice...

I do have a few questions tho....

1. I see that you have the Geany BaCon hack loaded but I do not see bacon.bash or the IDE. Any ideas as to finding this?

2. Is Python loaded in this version as I did not find it in the terminal app Lxterm?

3. Is there an easy way to hook up wifi than using the legacy app in Puppy? Having to type in an IP address is long gone in most modern distros these days. If not, I will deal with it......

Like I said, really nice job on this!

Best regards,
John
Hi John #konaexpress

Thanks for the feedback...

Actually all your questions are against the base pup on which LxPup is built rather than LxPup itself....

Which 'flavour' of LxPup are you running?

1 and 2 sound like you need to load the appropriate devx sfs

3 - I would recommend using Frisbee - just right click on the tray icon and then follow your instincts until you find Frisbee

Cheers
peebee

konaexpress

#167 Post by konaexpress »

Hi,

Guess a little more info for you would have helped ........

I'm using LxPup14.02

As far as BaCon and Python, I will go look for them. Not used to how Puppy handles new apps and there extensions. I'm kinda used to .deb files and apt-get. :oops:

Frizzby? I will go take a look at it. I was using the wizard and started chasing my own tale. :P this button, that button, more buttons.

Thanks for the help!
John

peebee

#168 Post by peebee »

konaexpress wrote:Hi,

Guess a little more info for you would have helped ........

I'm using LxPup14.02

As far as BaCon and Python, I will go look for them. Not used to how Puppy handles new apps and there extensions. I'm kinda used to .deb files and apt-get. :oops:

Frizzby? I will go take a look at it. I was using the wizard and started chasing my own tale. :P this button, that button, more buttons.

Thanks for the help!
John
Hi John

Which 'flavour' of LxPup14.02? There are currently 2*Precise, 1*Raring and 1*Wheezy released - plus there is a pre-release of Slacko.

there are different devx's for each....as each has a different kernel etc. - but once you've loaded them you should have all development tools - no need to get things individually.

Do you have a frugal install?

If so sfs's are easy-peasy to load - just put them into the same folder as Puppy then use sfs-load-on-the-fly from the Setup menu. Depending on 'flavour' there may be a menu option to find and load the devx for you.

Find Frisbee from the Setup - Internet Connection Wizard - Wired or wireless LAN - Frisbee route.

Cheers
peebee

konaexpress

#169 Post by konaexpress »

LOL! This is going to be fun...

I downloaded the one I found on sourceforge, file, precise PAE version. Sorry, I just went for the newest I could find. I didn't look around so I guess I missed the other ones, who knew? Going by the name, it's based on Ubuntu? I'm a Debian fan so this will work for me I think.

Is the file I'm looking for called devx? I will try this as BaCon did not pull up anything.

Thanks for all the help and I mean this. :D

John

peebee

#170 Post by peebee »

konaexpress wrote:LOL! This is going to be fun...

I downloaded the one I found on sourceforge, file, precise PAE version. Sorry, I just went for the newest I could find. I didn't look around so I guess I missed the other ones, who knew? Going by the name, it's based on Ubuntu? I'm a Debian fan so this will work for me I think.

Is the file I'm looking for called devx? I will try this as BaCon did not pull up anything.

Thanks for all the help and I mean this. :D

John
Get the devx for Precise5.7.1 from:
http://ftp.nluug.nl/ftp/pub/os/Linux/di ... ise-5.7.1/

but I suggest you copy the link into pwsget from the internet menu rather than use a browser to download....

or if you're prepared to wait from:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/precise-5.7.1/

konaexpress

#171 Post by konaexpress »

Thank you so much!!!

Frizzby worked great! I have no idea why I did not find it before, guess it got lost in all the options. Up and running now....

I'll go play with pswget (?) and see how that works.

Thanks again, will have to go make some wallpapers now in Inkscape.

John

konaexpress

#172 Post by konaexpress »

Thanks for telling me about pswget, it worked !

Now my 4 gig thumb drive is full so I will have to find a bigger one. Think I have an 8 gig somewhere around here.

Where is the best place to store the SFS files on the thumb drive? I have it in my download file for now.

Thanks again,
John

EDIT:

I was wrong, I have about 3 gig free but it is all in the save/.2fs file. Should I make a file in there for my downloads or am I missing something.

Thanks,
John

peebee

Updated LxPup-14.02-s-4g-190214.iso

#173 Post by peebee »

A slightly updated version of Slacko5.7Beta based LxPup-s-4g is available from:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/lxpup/f ... e-release/

No functional changes - just been tweaking the way that LxPanelX and Woof-CE based puppies interact....

updated 19-feb-14
Last edited by peebee on Wed 19 Feb 2014, 11:27, edited 1 time in total.

Marv

Re: Updated LxPup-14.02-s-4g-160214.iso

#174 Post by Marv »

peebee wrote:A slightly updated version of Slacko5.7Beta based LxPup-s-4g is available from:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/lxpup/f ... e-release/

No functional changes - just been tweaking the way that LxPanelX and Woof-CE based puppies interact....
Up and running. Pristine frugal Grub4Dos install to the Pentium M ipw2200 wireless laptop. No hitches so far. The default 15 sec dropwait seems to have pretty much solved the wireless dropouts with frisbee and the ipw2200 wireless. I'm pretty sure at this point they are due to the ipw2200 driver misreporting link strength. Anything in particular I should look at or for in this pre-release?

Thanks,
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

peebee

Re: Updated LxPup-14.02-s-4g-160214.iso

#175 Post by peebee »

Marv wrote:Anything in particular I should look at or for in this pre-release?
Hi Marv

The area I've changed is the sys tray in the bottom panel - so if you have any pets that put new items into the sys tray they would be good to test....and if they use svg icons that would be even better

Thanks for the offer
Cheers
peebee

Marv

loading order ?

#176 Post by Marv »

In general, when is /root/.config/autostart loaded wrt /root/.config/lxpup-autostart and the (now depreciated) /root/Startup? I was having 100% cpu load from retrovol when it was first loaded in lxpup-autostart on this laptop. Moved it to autostart and it seems to be behaving. Just trying to understand the new scheme.

New network icon in systray doesn't show connection status? Or is it just me?
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

peebee

Re: loading order ?

#177 Post by peebee »

Marv wrote:In general, when is /root/.config/autostart loaded wrt /root/.config/lxpup-autostart and the (now depreciated) /root/Startup? I was having 100% cpu load from retrovol when it was first loaded in lxpup-autostart on this laptop. Moved it to autostart and it seems to be behaving. Just trying to understand the new scheme.

Hi Marv

Was this with a clean savefile or an updated savefile from a previous version?

[edit]19-feb-14 - no longer relevant as I've changed implementation[/edit]

Network tray icon seems OK for me.

Thanks
peebee
Last edited by peebee on Wed 19 Feb 2014, 11:30, edited 1 time in total.

Marv

Re: loading order ?

#178 Post by Marv »

peebee wrote:
Marv wrote:In general, when is /root/.config/autostart loaded wrt /root/.config/lxpup-autostart and the (now depreciated) /root/Startup? I was having 100% cpu load from retrovol when it was first loaded in lxpup-autostart on this laptop. Moved it to autostart and it seems to be behaving. Just trying to understand the new scheme.

Hi Marv

Was this with a clean savefile or an updated savefile from a previous version?

What I was trying to achieve with lxpup-autostart was that items in it are started much later in the boot sequence - so root/autostart items are started by lxsession / lxpanelx but items in root/lxpup-autostart are started later as there seems to be a delay before svg icons are able to be displayed in the lxpanelx systray.

retrovol should be in lxpup-autostart

The high cpu usage on bootup was exactly what I was trying to remove so I'm now flummoxed (technical term) if you are still seeing it with a clean savefile....

Network tray icon seems OK for me.

Thanks
peebee
Yep, It was a fresh start. Set up wireless, utc, timezone, firewall and reboot making std ext2 256Mb savefile. I did go on and off frisbee a couple of times testing the dropwait. I'll repeat it from scratch and make sure it replicates. It's no fireball of a computer, 1.6Gh Pentium M, but overall has been just fine with Lxpup. Thanks for the info on what loads when.

Edit: Repeat starting with no save file. Set up utc, timezone, firewall, connect with frisbee, reboot several times, changing themes a bit, remove firewallstate from systrayconnect and disconnect wireless etc. I haven't seen the retrovol 100% cpu again in 5 reboots. The only things I haven't done this time are to add in the adwaita theme and set up the .desktop for my external opera. Neither a likely candidate for the behavior I saw on boot. Chalk it up to me....for now.

As for the network icon in the systray, it's utterly invariant for me. Connect and disconnect wireless with frisbee, net traffic or no net traffic, no change at all in the icon. Maybe I'm just spoiled, but the old frisbee icon (I think it was in earlier lxpups, it is in all carolinas, x-precise, etc) gave quite a bit of info. Crossed out out when wireless down, white when up, green when traffic on net.

Edit: Adwaita theme, panel items, and opera .desktop added. Reboot and...100% cpu (- a bit for screenshooter). Repeats every reboot now. Retrovol moved to autostart and back, no change. Themes switched back to stock. No change. Opera desktop removed from panel. No change. savefile fschecked. No change. I can't think of anything else I did.

Edit: Removed retrovol, installed gvolwheel-0.7 with PPM. Volwheel.desktop created to call gvolwheel in lxpup-autostart. Works well, much lower mem usage, cpu problem gone.
Attachments
retrovol.jpg
(36.49 KiB) Downloaded 690 times

Volhout

storage file full

#179 Post by Volhout »

Dear PeeBee,

I feel quite stupid by having to ask this question, I hope you can answer it without laughing....

I have a frugal install of Lxpup, 512Mbyte storage file. I run this from USB on a PC with harddisk. I have "tailored" LXpup quite a bit over time, so I am not happy to loose my customizations that are stored in storage file.

Occasionally I download a movie via torrents (transmission), and I store this movie on an external (USB) hardisk (sdb1). I insert the external drive, mount it, and start Transmission. I have set up transmission to use sdb1 in preferences.

This morning I wanted to download some audio (songs for opera for my wife), inserted the USB drive, and started transmission. After a while the download stopped and I started looking into what went wrong.

I realised I forgot to mount the drive......

I have a popup that my storage file is full. And that is bothering me the most.

Gdmap shows that under mnt/sdb1 there is roughly the delta (I had some 200 meg free inside my storage file). But note: the USB drive is not mounted, not even connected. So somewhere there is a data cache that has the data for sdb1, that is now part of my storage file.

Question... where is it ?
How can I erase that cache ?

In the file manager, there is no mnt/sdb1 at all (the USB drive is not connected anymore).

I tried connecting the USB drive, and it enumerates as sdb1, but the cache is not flushed to the drive. And I am stuck with a full storage file.

I need to learn a lot...,

Volhout

peebee

Re: storage file full

#180 Post by peebee »

Volhout wrote:I realised I forgot to mount the drive......
Question... where is it ?
How can I erase that cache ?
Volhout
Hi Volhout

I think you will find the data in /mnt/sdb1 but in your savefile....

To look in /mnt/sdb1 with PcManFm open root with no usb plugged in and then go up a level where you will see mnt and under mnt sdb1 - you can then delete the unwanted data

Hope you find the problem.
Cheers
peebee
Last edited by peebee on Mon 24 Feb 2014, 08:39, edited 1 time in total.