Youtube Challenge

Using applications, configuring, problems
ardvark

#21 Post by ardvark »

Hi all...

Ok, I solved the problem with Youtube. Apparently, this problem only affects Google Chrome. If you would prefer to use Flash Player instead of HTML5, go to this site and install the add-on, then go to the video settings and under "playback" and "video codec," choose "Flash." Make sure you to the Layout settings and uncheck everything in the "appearance" section so that your Youtube pages will display everything correctly. :)

greengeek

#22 Post by greengeek »

mikeb wrote:the cpu version is solved with an older flash player as mentioned and is not a browser issue.
Hi Mike, my current test system uses flash 9 (v159) but still crashes the browser. Do you think an even older flash would cure my problem? The OS and browser/flash combo - (Turbopup/Seamonkey/flash9) - works perfectly on other PCs I have, but not on the one that has the cpu that lacks cmov. You don't think my browser might be compiled wrongly? Maybe it's been compiled for a system that has cmov capability? I just don't feel confident about this cpu...

greengeek

#23 Post by greengeek »

starhawk wrote:One thing I've learned about compiling is that if your CPU doesn't support eg CMOV, that instruction will be replaced with equivalents.
Interesting link. Worth a read
Is the word "will" justified here though? Should it be "could" be replaced with equivalents"? I haven't done any compiling so I have no idea, but does the end result depend on the skill/intention of the person doing the compiling?

In my case - Turbopup works perfectly on my K6-2, but the browser (a version of seamonkey 1) crashes with an "illegal instruction" error. Maybe the outcome would be different if the browser had been compiled with "non-cmov" in mind? (I'm guessing the rest of the Turbopup OS doesn't care about cmov as it boots ok - no kernel panic etc...)

I'm wondering how many Youtube difficulties (on older hardware) might be related to compiling mismatches?

mikeb

#24 Post by mikeb »

hmm perhaps there is some browser connection...when I had a k6 we would have been running firefox 1.5 plus flash 9 so some years ago.

is it turbopup because apps were recompiled for i686+ ?

Also the standard gtk2 on 4.12 was as buggy as hell..crashed all over the place...there was a fixit pet though updating glib also helped and I recently changed to a slax gtk2 of similar version to sure a paypal crash.

html5...is it me or is that format even harder to play than flash? I was testing formats from you tube and that one was abysmal ...all tested with mplayer...even the 1280 x blah mp4 played better than a 720 html5/vp8.

mike

greengeek

#25 Post by greengeek »

mikeb wrote:is it turbopup because apps were recompiled for i686+ ?
That I don't know unfortunately. The Turbopup author (synth) explained that he was making a cutdown version of pup 4.20 that would be optimised for low powered machines. He did a really good job of achieving that so I would have thought it strange if he had intentionally recompiled programs to suit newer machines.

However - being an AMD K6-2 it may be that this cpu has some characteristic that would have required different compile-time parameters that synth was not aiming to cover. I've had other old PCs that give me less browser trouble than this particular one.

I wonder if there is any way to tell "after the event" how the browsers were compiled?

I don't think this baby is ever going to manage to stream YouTube....

Laie

#26 Post by Laie »

Plays without problems:
Firefox 26.0
MedionPC with Intel Celeron M @ 1.46GHz, 1023MB RAM, Slacko Puppy - 5.5.70

mill0001

#27 Post by mill0001 »

Nope. All I get is a black screen after I press the play button. Firefox-26. Amd quadcore cpu @ 3.2gh, 4gb DDR3 ram, Nvidia GTS-250 card. Slacko-5.3.3.

Semme

#28 Post by Semme »

*Nevermind..

greengeek

#29 Post by greengeek »

Surely someone has a PC under 1GHz that can stream youtube?? Anybody? Anybody? Maybe I've been wasting my time trying to get my old, slow gear to stream it... Surely there must be something like a laptop that has a low-powered cpu teamed up with a basic video acceleration card that can do this? Or does everyone have fancy new gear now and all the PIII's have gone to the tip...

mikeb

#30 Post by mikeb »

this is a pentium 3.... 1ghz... pc100 not 133...the flash in the first post plays ok... thats about the limit on that resolution and its an intel chipset which gives the best performance for that era and the proper nvidia driver.

If a downloader like say movgrab is used, mplayer and good driver you might half that cpu speed or even better.

mike

cimarron

#31 Post by cimarron »

You must have missed my post, greengeek. Your video plays fine on my Thinkpad X24, about 12 years old, Pentium III(M) running at 733MHz (limited to keep it from overheating) with 256M RAM. I've got GuyDog on it. And Firefox 16 with Flash 11.1, and NoScript to allow just the scripts I want.

For playing video, GuyDog made a big difference for me over my previous LuPu 5.1.

greengeek

#32 Post by greengeek »

You're right - sorry cimarron! I did miss it. I think I must have glossed over it in the expectation that somebody was going to pop up with a 233MHz something-or-other that could do the job. No chance of that I realise now.

OK, so far you are in the lead. I think I'm going to try to dig up an old PIII 700 and see if I can beat you :-)

greengeek

#33 Post by greengeek »

Users of less powerful machines may get some pointers from sindi's post here

itisix

#34 Post by itisix »

Hi,

I'm a total puppy noob and there is something eluding me.
I have a PIV 2.4 with 1GB or ram and I cannot play youtube decently. I have puppy slacko 5.7, firefox 17.0.11 and Flash 11.2.
Unfortunately, my graphics card is total crap onboard intel something.
Any ideas?

Thanks

Semme

#35 Post by Semme »

Rt-clk a video, go to settings and disable hw acceleration. If that doesn't cut it, remove eleven and try this version.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

itisix

#36 Post by itisix »

Thanks.

Better, but not perfect yet. Maybe it's the computer in general that is slow.

itisix

#37 Post by itisix »

It's the CPU is maxing while playing youtube. Even as I write this, it gets up to over 60%. Firefox and Firefox plugin container are the culprits. I have installed no plugins (except flash).

mikeb

#38 Post by mikeb »

does seem a bit high ...what resolution are you playing.

I find anything vp8 based has high overhead even in mplayer/vlc.

What about trying html5?

Any better/worse with full screen...3d drivers are needed for that to work well.

Graphics driver... are you using vesa or an actual intel one as the former will be considerably worse?

Should not have to be resorting to downloading vids with that spec...got an intel atom dual core 1.6/intel vid and its smooth.

mike

itisix

#39 Post by itisix »

HTML5 made it worse.
Resolution is 1024*768, but lower doesn't make much difference.

Semme

#40 Post by Semme »

How are you running Pup? Depending on setup, swap can make quite a difference.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=29356

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=60302
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<