JRE/JDK JAVA PETs/SFSs issues in Puppy <CLOSED>

Using applications, configuring, problems
gcmartin

#41 Post by gcmartin »

Funny this is mentioned.
Shame it took so many words..But, standardization? Heresy!
The fact that its JAVA, the standardization is already addressed for us. What we may need is simple installation library placement so that apps designed can find libraries in those "standard" places in PUPs. And those who create PETs/SFSs have some forum link or document or WOOF mechanism or something so that what they present looks the same no matter which PUP or version it was installed in.

It makes the life of distro developers simple as it reduces problems that users surface when trying to use any of these. This is the major case(s) that have arisen in our past.

The concern here is NOT about whether it is JAVA 5/6/7/8/some-future version. Its about where is it found in the system no matter which of these JAVA were installed.

In essence, I asking is it unreasonable for this subsystem to show up in PUPs in an expected way? Or is this attempt to simplify library placement at installation missing something important?

Here to help

gcmartin

#42 Post by gcmartin »

The prior post asks whether a guidepost for JAVA PET/SFS contributions should be present so that any contributor does NOT have to create one that causes problems in library placement? This means installation libs and appropriate symlinks necessary to give a consistent installation pathing for things that use JAVA to find stuff.

This statement above is my 100 words or less request.

rerwin

Installation script for Java JRE version 8

#43 Post by rerwin »

Musher0's script at http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 662#704662 to install Java JRE is specific to version 7 and installs only in /opt. I have updated and renamed it to apply to version 8 and allows overriding the target directory.

Instl-Java8.sh [JAVAHOME]

where JAVAHOME is /opt (default), /usr/local or other existing directory

Although I have not added any other functions, I did fix 2 bugs.
Attachments
Instl-Java8.sh-20150727.pet
Install Java JRE version 8 to selectable directory.
(2.32 KiB) Downloaded 486 times