X-Slacko-4.4 with Xfce

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
rg66

#101 Post by rg66 »

johnywhy wrote:cannot find the command here-
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/CommandLinePrograms

is it one of those?

thx
Type "bootmanager" (without quotes) in terminal.
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
[url=http://smokey01.com/rg66/]X-series repo[/url]

johnywhy

#102 Post by johnywhy »

ok, thx. here's the output of bootmanager at command-line, choosing sfs:

Code: Select all

# bootmanager
/usr/sbin/bootmanager: eval: line 264: syntax error near unexpected token `('
/usr/sbin/bootmanager: eval: line 264: `Xdialog --wmclass "module16" --backtitle "Choose which SFS files are to be loaded at bootup.\n(top entry will be on top Unionfs layer)" --title "BootManager: SFS files" --left --stdout --separator " " --help "Please click the 'install' icon on the desktop for information about SFS files.\nYou will find an introduction, plus links to SFS files that can be downloaded.\n\nNote, the BootManager performs some filtering of the available SFS files,\nscreening out some that might have incorrect version number -- files of the\nformat '*_nnn.sfs' should be '*_5.6.0.sfs' to pass the filter." --buildlist "Note1: No more than 6 SFS files in right-pane!\nNote2: These files are at /mnt/home or /mnt/home/slacko (in sda1 partition)" 0 0 8 devx_slacko_5.6.0.sfs devx_slacko_5.6.0.sfs off devx_slacko_5.6(0).sfs devx_slacko_5.6(0).sfs on >/tmp/bmrettags.txt'
/usr/sbin/bootmanager: line 264: warning: syntax errors in . or eval will cause future versions of the shell to abort as Posix requires
# 
[b]Now[/b]: X-Tahr 2.0! StretchDog! DevuanDog!
[b]Tops[/b]: TarhNOP Vlina-R2 Racy
[b]Used[/b]: Puppeee Precise Lucid Wary Tahrpup Quirky Slacko MacPup Saluki Puppy Studio LxPupTarh Lina-Lite Lina
[i]i ♥ Puppy[/i]

rg66

#103 Post by rg66 »

johnywhy wrote:ok, thx. here's the output of bootmanager at command-line, choosing sfs:

# bootmanager
/usr/sbin/bootmanager: eval: line 264: syntax error near unexpected token `('
/usr/sbin/bootmanager: eval: line 264: `Xdialog --wmclass "module16" --backtitle "Choose which SFS files are to be loaded at bootup.\n(top entry will be on top Unionfs layer)" --title "BootManager: SFS files" --left --stdout --separator " " --help "Please click the 'install' icon on the desktop for information about SFS files.\nYou will find an introduction, plus links to SFS files that can be downloaded.\n\nNote, the BootManager performs some filtering of the available SFS files,\nscreening out some that might have incorrect version number -- files of the\nformat '*_nnn.sfs' should be '*_5.6.0.sfs' to pass the filter." --buildlist "Note1: No more than 6 SFS files in right-pane!\nNote2: These files are at /mnt/home or /mnt/home/slacko (in sda1 partition)" 0 0 8 devx_slacko_5.6.0.sfs devx_slacko_5.6.0.sfs off devx_slacko_5.6(0).sfs devx_slacko_5.6(0).sfs on >/tmp/bmrettags.txt'
/usr/sbin/bootmanager: line 264: warning: syntax errors in . or eval will cause future versions of the shell to abort as Posix requires
# 
Ok, you got me on that one. Looks like it's having issues with the variable EXECME at line 244. You could always try SFS load on the fly from menu > system, that should load them every boot as well.

sszindian

update to 1.1

#104 Post by sszindian »

Curious?

Tryed to do an update from Xslacko-1.0 non-pae to Xslacko-1.1 non-pae. (I load all puppy's from the CD with a Savefile on my HDD) Used an X-Slacko-1.1.iso created with the delta.

Upon running the new 1.1
There was no indicators giving the usual puppy update features.

Does X-Slacko-1.1 just use the SFS and Savefile files from X-Slacko-1.0 but infact updates itself without giving any indication?

I can't find an SFS 1.1 file on my HDD only a Slacko 'Folder' that has a 'puppy_xslacko_5.6.sfs' file and a ''xslackosave-0_1.4fs' in it and an SFS 'zdrv_slacko_4.99.1.sfs' on /initrd/mnt/dev_save (sda1)

How can one tell if infact you have the update or not... looks just like it did before?
or....
does X-Slacko-1.1 require a 'fresh install'?

>>>---Indian------>
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

rg66

#105 Post by rg66 »

@sszindian

There's not much difference between 1.0 and 1.1, and since the SFS name is the same it won't ask to upgrade your savefile. I think for 1.2 I will change the SFS names from the stock slacko name to puppy_xslacko-1.2 etc.....

starhawk

#106 Post by starhawk »

Hey, rg66, when you get the time, I've got a question. Why is it that the "my computer locks up when I install a non-PPM package" goes away in Slacko 1.0 (still haven't upgraded :oops: ) after installing a PPM package? I'm genuinely curious about that... seems very odd.

rg66

#107 Post by rg66 »

starhawk wrote:Hey, rg66, when you get the time, I've got a question. Why is it that the "my computer locks up when I install a non-PPM package" goes away in Slacko 1.0 (still haven't upgraded :oops: ) after installing a PPM package? I'm genuinely curious about that... seems very odd.
I have no idea why it does that, it has been fixed since the file overwrite check has been removed.

starhawk

#108 Post by starhawk »

starhawk wrote:Bit of a nasty bug in X-Slacko 1.0 -- dunno if it's some weird interaction with my hardware (it's happened before) or not.

Any time I install a PET from the forum, or ANY package (happens with compatible Slackware TXZ's and with DEB's as well), a minute or two after I tell PetGet to install, the system 'soft freezes' -- mouse can move, but clicks don't register. If I do CTRL+ALT+BKSP it doesn't get to a # prompt, but freezes hard at the desktop instead -- and sometimes it doesn't even get that far!
NOT FIXED in X-Slacko 1.1 PAE. Running that on my Acer Asppire 5532 (despite my typical anti-PAE stance, it is useful in some narrow circumstances...) -- tried to install Chrome 32 from the forum and it did the same thing.

I've noticed that after installing a PET from PPM, which somehow fixes this bug, on shutdown I see something like "slackosave.3fs mounted top layer, session already saved" instead of the prior "Saving session to slackosave.3fs..." but I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not.

rg66

#109 Post by rg66 »

@ starhawk

The bug was fixed in 1.1, are you using a 1.0 save file? Try it in RAM and see what happens.

The shutdown message should depend on what pupsave mode you're in. Frugal to HD should give the "slackosave.3fs mounted top layer, session already saved" message. The other one is maybe for USB flash, not sure. Check pupsave config in Control panel > System.

starhawk

#110 Post by starhawk »

Was using a fresh install with ext3 savefile on another system -- I can try it running from RAM but I really don't expect anything different and I'd rather not ding up the FS on that drive any more than I have to ;) I know from experience that hard reboots are not Puppy-friendly, even on ext3...

Both installs (netbook and second system) are frugal to SSD -- pmedia=ataflash. Also, I was wrong; it's the netbook is the one giving me "session already saved" -- the other system still has to save on shutdown. Probably that's because I'm using a browser SFS on that system in addition to the savefile...

rg66

#111 Post by rg66 »

starhawk wrote:Was using a fresh install with ext3 savefile on another system -- I can try it running from RAM but I really don't expect anything different and I'd rather not ding up the FS on that drive any more than I have to ;) I know from experience that hard reboots are not Puppy-friendly, even on ext3...

Both installs (netbook and second system) are frugal to SSD -- pmedia=ataflash. Also, I was wrong; it's the netbook is the one giving me "session already saved" -- the other system still has to save on shutdown. Probably that's because I'm using a browser SFS on that system in addition to the savefile...
With pmedia=ataflash it will act like a USB flash drive and give options when to save in pupsave config. "slackosave.3fs mounted top layer, session already saved" is like a typical frugal install, saving in real time. "Saving session to slackosave.3fs..." is like a flash save, default is every 30 min I think. Sounds like one of your comps doesn't have pmedia=ataflash in menu.lst.

starhawk

#112 Post by starhawk »

I can fix that. But it won't fix the package installer :(

starhawk

#113 Post by starhawk »

BUG REPORT
...of a bug already reported. This is further coverage...

So I've been re-setting-up my Acer laptop today, for various reasons. I installed X-Slacko 1.1 PAE on there. Before installing *anything else* I installed a PET using PPM for some boring game thing that I'll never play. This is the fix for the PetGet bug in X-Slacko 1.0 PAE per the ISO in this thread.

Every two or three "foreign" (not from PPM) packages I install, now, the bug reoccurs and I have to hard-reboot. I've done that FOUR TIMES.

rg66, this is most definitely NOT FIXED. I sincerely hope you will take some time to look at the code (it's well beyond me, or I'd do it myself) and figure out what the @*#$!! is going on here -- because it's a showstopper, at least for X-Slacko 1.1. I will be burning a CD of 1.0 PAE to see how it runs... if it has similar symptoms I may indeed go back to Win7. This is getting ridiculous.

System specs --
Acer Aspire 5532
Turion 64X2 CPU (I forget the speed)
4gb RAM
256gb SSD (64gb as OS partition, remainder as userdata partition)
Install of Puppy X-Slacko 1.1 PAE, frugal, to internal IDE/SATA flash media
Grub4DOS bootloader

EDIT: I gparted away 1.1 PAE and replaced it with 1.0 PAE and the fix/workaround works for me as it has in the past. rg66, whatever you did to this Pup between 1.0 and 1.1 didn't make the problem go away -- it made it WORSE.

EDIT2: something of a correction to the last edit -- the fix/workaround was not as effective as I thought, or there's something else going on. Just had the bug hit me again :( this is getting to be a real pain in the you-know-what. rg66, I really hope you'll take a look at the code here and not just insist that you "fixed it" -- which you unfortunately but certainly did not!

rg66

#114 Post by rg66 »

Download the installpkg.sh.gz below and extract it to /usr/local/petget and see if that fixes the pet install issue.
Attachments
installpkg.sh.gz
(9.38 KiB) Downloaded 326 times

starhawk

#115 Post by starhawk »

That shell script needs to be made executable after extracting -- figured that out the hard way :oops:

I'm going to tentatively say that this fixes the issue in 1.0 -- I've installed 3 PETs and a PUP package and so far X-Slacko 1.0 is barking rather than barfing, if you know what I mean...

I'll boot X-Slacko 1.1 from LiveCD, install the script and see how things go. There is one other (minor to me) bug I'm noticing in 1.0 which is that drive icons don't show on the desktop after installing, unless you manually go in and refresh them (and even then the boot drive doesn't show!). I /know/ that's fixed in 1.1 because I didn't see it till I rolled back to 1.0... which is one of three reasons I haven't mentioned it before -- the others being that (as mentioned) it's a fairly minor bug and that I've been pestering you enough (IMO) with the much larger PetGet problem.

starhawk

#116 Post by starhawk »

Posting from X-Slacko 1.1, as LiveCD.

I installed the shell script immediately after booting, and did not install any PETs from PPM.

I've installed five PET packages and one PUP package so far and the problem has not recurred. I'm going to call this one FIXED.

I have become quite weary of fighting with OSes to get them to do what I want, and I was about ready to give up on Puppy because of this (and other similar things in the past) and just go back to Win7. I really didn't want to do that, but it was getting to the point where continuing to deal with this stuff, one thing after another, it just felt like it was too hard to keep going.

So, thank you, rg66, for truly fixing this thing. Thank you. This feels good to me...

EDIT: 12 PETs and a PUP, and counting! No problems yet...
This is good :D

Pete22

X-Slacko

#117 Post by Pete22 »

I apologize for not reading all the previous posts.

I am using X-slacko pae and enjoy it very much.
However, the sound is on full blast. there is no way to lower it because
when I click on the icon it says

Gstreamer is unable to detect any sound devices. That seems strange since
it is working,

Is there a fix for this?

Pete

rg66

Re: X-Slacko

#118 Post by rg66 »

Pete22 wrote:I apologize for not reading all the previous posts.

I am using X-slacko pae and enjoy it very much.
However, the sound is on full blast. there is no way to lower it because
when I click on the icon it says

Gstreamer is unable to detect any sound devices. That seems strange since
it is working,

Is there a fix for this?

Pete
Is this a fresh install or a previous save file? Does it work if you boot into RAM? In the meantime, you can edit /etc/asound.state. Line 270 'Master Playback Volume', edit line 271 'value', 32 is 50%.

Geoffrey

#119 Post by Geoffrey »

It seems the the link for xdg-open is broken, run this code in the terminal to fix it.

rm -f /usr/bin/xdg-open
ln -s /usr/bin/exo-open /usr/bin/xdg-open
xdg-open is needed for a number apps to function correctly, such as Pidgin and Google-Chrome need it to open files and folders.

Also Pidgin needs perl-uri for the links to work.

If anyone wants Google-Chrome I've build a sfs of the latest which includes the libnspr4 and libnss3 library files.

google-Chrome-xslacko-33.0.1750.152.sfs Size 56.6 MB (56,561,664 Bytes)

MD5 98266be7c6847bf4cd1eba037d048544

When loading sfs files I found that X needs to be restarted to update the menu, if /usr/sbin/fixmenus is edited and this code add to the bottom of the script it will then update the icon-cache and update the menu for xfce.

gtk-update-icon-cache -f -i /usr/share/icons/hicolor
touch --no-create /usr/share/applications/
Attachments
perl-URI-1.60.noarch.pet
(94.16 KiB) Downloaded 402 times
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]

Geoffrey

#120 Post by Geoffrey »

xfce4 whiskermenu plugin

Edit: recompiled whisker menu to fix screen lock activation.

Compiled in XSlacko.

Attachments
xfce4-whiskermenu-plugin-X-Slacko-i686.pet
(183.86 KiB) Downloaded 312 times
Last edited by Geoffrey on Tue 10 Jun 2014, 09:58, edited 1 time in total.
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]