Remastered multi-session dvd not filling cd

Discuss anything specific to using Puppy on a multi-session disk
partsman

Remastered multi-session dvd not filling cd

#1 Post by partsman »

Hello all
I have used m/s puppy lots of times and some puppies I save about 6 times and it tells me its time to migrate to a new dvd and the dvd is no where near full :? I convert most of my pets to sfs files and save them on my hard drive I only save what I have too to the dvd :wink: I have had this happen in only puplets not official releases ! Don't no why :? Currently I am having this issue with raring 3.9.9.2 ! Like I said I have racy, wary, precise puppies on m/s dvd and I do not have this problem !
Also am using the exact same type dvd-r's Any help would be appreciated thank you to all that reply :D
[color=red]Anyone can build a fast processor. The trick is to build a fast system. (Seymour Cray)[/color] :wink:

Ted Dog

#2 Post by Ted Dog »

multisession code is very old there may be misunderstandings on correct sizes or code cleanup that forces DVD to look like CD's sizes, CD are very wasteful when it comes to multisession, CD required a large padding between sessions, so around 8 sessions is about max. Also, the toolsets (versions difference) is getting unrealistic too far apart between BK WOOF builds and the spinoffs.
If you want to try moving the burn code from a good working version, over the problematic one in a multisession code session, that works for me when I test. The reading of sessions at boot is the hard one to modify, that requires deep remasters (INIT CODE)

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

FWIW, I once saved a hundred sessions on a multisession DVD with no troubles at all. I did this probably at least 5 years ago. I don't know which version of Puppy I was using.

gcmartin

What happens when system asks you to Migrate to new DVD?

#4 Post by gcmartin »

Question
Have you had success when asked to migrate with it occurring as you expected?

I cannot find clear understanding of what is occurring, actually, in migration? (for example, is it migrating the contents of the CD/DVD? Is it taking your running system and remastering it? Is is some sort of a combination? Are certain things ignored?

If anyone knows a good write-up of it please post.

Thanks

gcmartin

GrowISOfs to write additional info to your DVD

#5 Post by gcmartin »

I have never done this with a any exiisting PUP, but, in the past, with Lighthouse64, I was able to write SFSs to a multisession DVD. This allows the system to pickup the additional SFSs at boot time for use in the running system. I used iGrowISOfs to add SFSs to the multi-session DVD.

With Pups, I believe that the DVD can house, both, your saved-sessions and your SFS and PETs such that all system's needs are solely contained the DVD.

Just an idea which some may find useful.

partsman

#6 Post by partsman »

Thanks guys for replying :wink:
Ted Dog that's a good idea ! I will try to compare the files and see if there is a diff in them :wink: I assume these would be found in the init script ?
@ Flash: yes I too have burned hundreds when I use to use lucid puppy 5.2.8 no problems :D No problems with the BK builds also have had good luck with slacko 5.3.1 no problems :D As a mater of fact I still use both 5.3.1 @ 5.2.8 m/s dvd's from time to time still work great :wink: I have expressed my thoughts before about how I think this is a truly wonderful way to use puppy Linux :wink: I am currently working on a project but would love to maybe make this my next : maybe update the scripts for m/s support :wink:
@ gcmartin: I know what your saying I have used fatdog m/s as It writes sfs files to the dvd ! works very well :D
[color=red]Anyone can build a fast processor. The trick is to build a fast system. (Seymour Cray)[/color] :wink:

Ted Dog

#7 Post by Ted Dog »

I expect the differences are in the BURN scripts, not init scripts but if you are going to diff, they both are available to check, changing init is hard.

Now that I've got two working BluRay's ( :lol: ) and my fingers have become useable again, finger cuts better, I really want to update both 32 and 64 bit Multisession codes and make it, bit more practical. I've left multisession for a while and its clogged my harddrives with copies of everything, never expected I used multisession as an organizational crutch so much. But its a great tool since, once you got it burned its safe, and organized by dates, and stacked newest discs on top.

partsman

#8 Post by partsman »

Ted Dog wrote:I really want to update both 32 and 64 bit Multisession codes and make it, bit more practical. I've left multisession for a while and its clogged my harddrives with copies of everything, never expected I used multisession as an organizational crutch so much. But its a great tool since, once you got it burned its safe, and organized by dates, and stacked newest discs on top.
That would be just awesome ! You are definitely the man when it comes to m/s puppy my friend :wink: I just love puppy on m/s and would love to see it updated and more practical !
Thanks again for all your efforts :wink: I always take the time to read on your blue ray m/s findings :wink: Also thanks again fo everyone who has taken the time to read this thread and respond and those who will respond in the future :D

partsman

#9 Post by partsman »

Ted Dog wrote:I expect the differences are in the BURN scripts, not init scripts
Where might someone find these burn scripts ?
As I would like a deeper understanding of M/S puppy thanks in advance :wink:

Ted Dog

#10 Post by Ted Dog »

burn settings have improved and the base software for optical drives have as well. They need to match for the functionality to work. Only those puppylinux brands that upgraded those base software will work. Fatdog64 those upgrades stuck. Where slacko did support it once but returned to older tools once back to using woof bulids.
Funny thing is half the code ( the ones needed change ) is still in Quirky6 but the calling code is removed.
If you want to play with multisession get a bluray burner and some rewrite discs. They are a third slower to burn with but let you practice.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#11 Post by Flash »

Ted Dog wrote:... If you want to play with multisession get a bluray burner and some rewrite discs. They are a third slower to burn with but let you practice.
What he said. :D