No sound from Puppy 5.28.

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
mimeini

No sound from Puppy 5.28.

#1 Post by mimeini »

Dear Puppy Linux community

I have set up a fine version of Puppy Linux 5.28 on my son's laptop

Medion Akoya E6224

But there are two things that do not work. Sound and wifi. My question here is the sound.

There are no sound

According to the hardware overview a sound card has been found, but it does not seem that the system has a driver or can access the card.

Audio device: Intel Corporation 6 Series Chipset Family Series/C200 High Definition Audio Controller (rev 05)

I've tried searching in puppy linux files and have also found some previous solutions with Medion Akoya, but not exactly the chipset. Of course I have tried to reconfigure the card with alsaconfig, but it does not help anything. Does anyone have an idea how I can get around this problem?

Thanks
Mikkel

mcewanw

Re: Jet another audio configuration problem.

#2 Post by mcewanw »

mimeini wrote:Dear Puppy Linux community

I have set up a fine version of Puppy Linux 5.28 on my son's laptop

Medion Akoya E6224

But there are two things that do not work. Sound and wifi. My question here is the sound.

There are no sound

According to the hardware overview a sound card has been found, but it does not seem that the system has a driver or can access the card.

Audio device: Intel Corporation 6 Series Chipset Family Series/C200 High Definition Audio Controller (rev 05)

I've tried searching in puppy linux files and have also found some previous solutions with Medion Akoya, but not exactly the chipset. Of course I have tried to reconfigure the card with alsaconfig, but it does not help anything. Does anyone have an idea how I can get around this problem?

Thanks
Mikkel
I would have suggested alsaconf, but you have tried that.

Other thing that strikes my mind is the possibility of a module conflict. I have a machine that has Intel sound and I find it tries to load two modules:

snd-intel8x0 and snd-intel8x0m

I needed to blacklist snd-intel8x0m for sound (and adobe flash as it happens) to work properly.

You can try the command

lsmod

at the console and see if both modules are loading instead of one (or use: lsmod | less).

Alternatively, just try blacklisting it anyway, and reboot, and if necessary run alsaconf again. You can blacklist a module in Puppy linux by using Bootmanager program (available in JWM menu; sorry, not on Puppy at the moment, so can't tell you in which submenu that is).
github mcewanw

ardvark

#3 Post by ardvark »

Hi...

If you would open a terminal and post the output of...

Code: Select all

lspci -nn
AND

Code: Select all

lsusb
perhaps we can help you with both problems. Sakura might be an easier program to use for this, you can find it in Puppy Package Manager, :)

EDIT: From this thread, it looks like the kernel for this version of Puppy does not have the correct (sound) driver for this chipset. There are some tips that might help you get it working but it's more likely you will need to switch to another version of Puppy, if at all possible. :(

Regards...
Last edited by ardvark on Sat 15 Feb 2014, 22:05, edited 1 time in total.
Our Lord and Savior [url=http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/]Jesus Christ[/url] loves and cares about you most of all!

PLEASE READ! You don't have to end up [url=http://www.spiritlessons.com/Documents/BillWiese_23MinutesInHell_Text.htm]here![/url]

mimeini

#4 Post by mimeini »

OK good answers. It is my son's computer and he works a lot on it so I can not just get to make the two commands you require, but it is interesting what you say about kernel and sound driveres. Maybe I should simply try to download the latest puppy, burn a CD and then see how it handles the sound configuration. (what I use now is 5.28 not the latest puppy)

mimeini

Solved

#5 Post by mimeini »

Hii that worked. I downloaded an burned puppy 5.6 slacko and booted with that and that worked. First it did not work but after a while it suddenly started worked :-). Thanks for your help.

Mikkel

ardvark

Re: Solved

#6 Post by ardvark »

mimeini wrote:Hii that worked. I downloaded an burned puppy 5.6 slacko and booted with that and that worked. First it did not work but after a while it suddenly started worked :-). Thanks for your help.
Cool, glad that worked! :)

Regards...