Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 26 Nov 2014, 09:50
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
resizing partition taking a long time
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
rmcellig

PostPosted: Mon 17 Feb 2014, 09:11    Post_subject:  resizing partition taking a long time  

I am booted (RAM) into my Puppy Linux CD. I launched gparted so that I could resize one of my partitions sda5 from 191gb to 84gb. I started around 4pm Sunday feb16. It is now feb17 8:24am and it is still running. I don't remember it taking this long to re size a partition. Is there any way I can check what is going on? I have the Applying Pending Operations window open/details. I was wondering what else I should do.

If, and that's a big if, I have to cancel this operation.it is my understanding that sda5 will be damaged. Will my other partition sda6 be damaged as well?

What are my options? Is there anything I can do in the terminal to see exactly what is going on and if gparted is actually doing something?
mikeb

PostPosted: Mon 17 Feb 2014, 09:18    Post_subject:  

Ok when you use gparted to resize a partition and there is content present the content is copied twice during the operation in order to facilitate the resize. This accounts for the time it takes. I find it faster to back up the contents elsewhere and then recreate a smaller partition and finally copy it back....its a whole lot faster and in my mind a whole lot safer and has the bonus of defragmenting it.

mike
rmcellig

PostPosted: Mon 17 Feb 2014, 09:33    Post_subject:  

Thanks mikeb!

I usually do this but in this case there isn't much data on the partition I am resizing. I transferred most of the files to my other partition (sda6).

Should I keep gparted going or should I cancel? Will cancelling destroy sda5? Will sda6 be affected?

I have Crunchbang 11 on sda5 and Mint 16 sfce on sda6. I'm still torn between puppy linux. I'm in puppy now booted from the CD and I have to tell you it is super fast. I have tried several pup's over the past couple of years and was always amazed by the speed. This is what I HATE about linux. So many tempting choices Smile

What I do mainly with my computer is audio. Digitizing my LP collection using Audacity, Asunder, Filezilla, web browsing like everyone else and that's about it. My favorite pup is still Lucid 5.2.8 (005).

Thanks for your help!!
gparted.png
 Description   
 Filesize   46.36 KB
 Viewed   159 Time(s)

gparted.png

mikeb

PostPosted: Mon 17 Feb 2014, 10:00    Post_subject:  

Hmm ok thought B....

I wonder then in this case there are some bad blocks in there causing either a huge slowdown or hanging up altogether.

If you stopped I would assume there would be partial or total data loss of sda5. If its replaceable then it might be wise to kill the process rather than leaving everything in the state its in now.

The partition table itself should be ok outside of the change you were making...if not testdisc can usually restore it.

mike
rmcellig

PostPosted: Mon 17 Feb 2014, 11:28    Post_subject:  

Thanks again!

What is testdisc?

Is there a way I can see what is going on with the repartitioning by going to the terminal? Terminal commands?
mikeb

PostPosted: Mon 17 Feb 2014, 11:37    Post_subject:  

Hmm htop or top might show whats specifically being run but thats about it..... most likely its gparted/gparted.

testdisc ... http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk
standalone binary to run from the command line... for lost/ wayward partition recovery.

mike
rmcellig

PostPosted: Mon 17 Feb 2014, 11:47    Post_subject:  

cool. thanks again !
rmcellig

PostPosted: Mon 17 Feb 2014, 12:19    Post_subject:  

I just bit the bullet and clicked cancel. After doing so I was unable to mount the partition. When I restarted my computer booting into Mint, I was able to mount the partition and see all the files that I had on that partition. They all seem fine. I tested a few and no problems at all. What I am doing now is moving those files to an external usb drive and then reformatting the partition. Not sure what I will do with it.
mikeb

PostPosted: Mon 17 Feb 2014, 14:07    Post_subject:  

oh good so no disasters..... perhaps it could not deal with such a reduction...who knows...the gui does paint an oversimplistic view i find.

Mike

ps if you are only using up to 4 partitions I do find using all primary to be a little simpler and less of a problem if changes need to be made later.
rmcellig

PostPosted: Mon 17 Feb 2014, 14:33    Post_subject:  

Sounds good.
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum