Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 25 Oct 2014, 15:15
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware
USB Flash Drive Quality
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 2 of 2 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
EdD

PostPosted: Sat 01 Feb 2014, 13:43    Post_subject:  

You have to be careful where you purchase usb drives as well. Avoid buying them on ebay. There are fakes being sold and ebay tends to cater to their China import dollar store type sellers. Fake Kingston usb drives are more the norm on ebay than the exception.

One particularly bad seller there is grindlogic, in Austin, TX. The terms of sale for that store is 15% restocking fee plus original shipping cost deducted from refunds, and return shipping is at the seller's expense. On a $10-15 item the refund amount will be less than half the purchase price. The store will refuse to honor returns except under those conditions, so the buyer has to open a dispute which ebay automatically decides in favor of the store. This solution keeps a buyer from being able to leave negative feedback for the transaction.

Amazon is a much better source, with a great return policy, and quick refunds. I now use ebay only for used legacy parts and computers. New low cost items are much more safely purchased on Amazon than on ebay.

Ted Dog

PostPosted: Sat 01 Feb 2014, 16:55    Post_subject:  

yep agree about.Amazon. Plus the reviews of product are not overly filtered for bad reviews. Fake products are slammed hard and generally disappear from listing after a few months. You do have to forget the first couple of fake positive reviews by plants..
The return policies are enforced by product categories and some are not returnable or refundable. I ve seem to hit those exceptions more often then most.. Mad
EdD

PostPosted: Sat 01 Feb 2014, 19:20    Post_subject:  

Amazon's prime deal also lets me get free 2nd day shipping for a year for about $80usd. Since I live 22 miles from the nearest small town and over an hour's drive to any city, Amazon and ebay have been my main sources for tech stuff for years.

On the subject of usb drives, I just got a Silicon Power 16G Firma 80 flash drive from amazon for $9.99 usd. Haven't used it yet, but I'll report back on it once I've tried it out and used it for awhile.

SP reviewers on amazon said that it's a very fast drive. We'll see.

Ted Dog

PostPosted: Sat 01 Feb 2014, 20:20    Post_subject:  

Im bummed by Amazon prime video playback no longer supported by linux..And Im thinking of dropping prime altogether. Amazon opened a regional distribution center a mile from a family members house. Reports of less than a day delivery, are becoming widespread by the locals.
The new aircraft hanger like building is two or more blocks long and a few hundred feet from Regional FedEx hub.. Shocked
I called and asked if I could pickup orders directly since the nearest mall is twice as far and the short cut to that mall is at Amazon front door, if they had a front door which it does not from main road. Confused
I even volunteered to get a small item drone delivered... That was shot down and learned it was just a publicly stunt.
slavvo67

PostPosted: Sat 01 Feb 2014, 20:33    Post_subject:  

I know we're going a bit off topic but I agree. Recently, Prime has been quietly moving videos from Amazon Prime back to pay without notice. Very very disappointing.
EdD

PostPosted: Sun 02 Feb 2014, 08:30    Post_subject:  

For me, Prime is still a valuable option. Next day shipping for $3.99 beats spending 2 hours on the road and $12 fuel cost, or waiting for the next time a trip to the city is necessary. Pluses and minuses always apply. Wink
r4dic4l

PostPosted: Mon 10 Feb 2014, 16:51    Post_subject:  

I use flash drives and SD/MicroSD cards of all sorts, all sizes all the time for installs, transfers, cloning etc.. Been so for years. Only difference I notice is the I/O speeds. Although I/O is faster than CD/DVD; external HDD is quicker by far.
I do not get a lot of drive failure(s). I always use whatever "safe to remove hardware", "un-mounting" or whatever option is offered before I go snatching the drive. If the data is crucial on the FDD/SD; I will shut the machine down before removing the device.
So saying: When these devices came out a few years ago; they were garbage. They have improved by leaps and bounds.
Over....
EdD

PostPosted: Mon 10 Feb 2014, 17:26    Post_subject:  

R4, agreed. Flash drives do have to be treated correctly to make them last. I'm amazed at the quality of flash drives available these days. They're really a great improvement over the earlier ones.
slavvo67

PostPosted: Mon 10 Feb 2014, 17:54    Post_subject:  

I agree to a point but there is still some garbage out there. Funny, I never thought to compare the speeds of my usb drives. I'll have to find a bash script to compare.

Best,

Slavvo67
r4dic4l

PostPosted: Sun 16 Feb 2014, 00:53    Post_subject:  

There is garbage out there and one will notice great diffs in read/write between brands; even between two exact devices. I prefer and have found PNY and SanDisk be faster and and more durable: I have accidentally washed mine a couple times > cleaning the drive of unwanted soilage....lol
r4dic4l

PostPosted: Sun 16 Feb 2014, 00:59    Post_subject:  

slavvo67 wrote:
...I never thought to compare the speeds of my usb drives. I'll have to find a bash script to compare.
Best,
Slavvo67

Post it if you get it up. I currently test devices on Windows (beginning to delve deeper into Linux): I am just starting to love this Puppy and look forward to a long and healthy relationship.
Thanks for the input, ya'll.
One
RJARRRPCGP

PostPosted: Tue 18 Feb 2014, 00:14    Post_subject: Re: USB Flash Drive Quality
Sub_title: USB Flash Drives - The better ones...

slavvo67 wrote:

Sandisk: I used to purchase many of these but I found the quality to be hit or miss. I have personally lost data on at least 2 Sandisk drives that I have not been able to recover.

I agree that SanDisk is hit-and-miss I had an 8 GB SanDisk Cruzer a little while ago that causes the Microsoft USB tool to keep giving error message "could not copy files to the disk" or similar. Even if Windows didn't detect squat when reformatting it...

I have yet to have a PNY fail on me...
Pelo

PostPosted: Wed 19 Feb 2014, 03:37    Post_subject: Transcend would be my choice.  

Transcend and Kingston are safe, Cruzer is safe but I dont like because to small to decorate (stickers for meMorize what is inside)
Intenso not bad.
PNY : no ! (used only once but hardly contact on old usb hub).
usblogo.png
 Description   Large enough , i can stick Puppy logo !
 Filesize   24.8 KB
 Viewed   32 Time(s)

usblogo.png

Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 2 of 2 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot