Precise 5.6.1 firewall

Please post any bugs you have found
drongo

Precise 5.6.1 firewall

#1 Post by drongo »

I don't know why I'm not using 5.7.1, I must have missed that while I was on holiday (away from the Internet!)

I usually run Puppy as a live CD with puppy pfix=ram.

When I get the menu allowing you to change language/keyboard/timezone etc there is usually an option to set up a firewall, but not always.

Anyone have any idea why?

watchdog

#2 Post by watchdog »

When I used Precise I realized it had not installed firewallstate by default:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=57725

Using linux you always have iptables in the kernel but if if you want a friendly firewall feedback install firewallstate-2.1.pet.

drongo

#3 Post by drongo »

Thanks watchdog (very appropriate nic!).

I'm more puzzled as to why a live CD should behave differently on different boots on the same machine. If I'm running it as pfix=ram I'd expect identical behaviour each time.

OscarTalks

#4 Post by OscarTalks »

Are you talking about the "Quick Setup first-run settings" dialog window?
Do you mean that sometimes this window does not appear at all, or do you mean that it looks different on different boots?

This dialog window can be launched from Menu>>Setup>>Quick Setup first-run settings

There are other programs including network tools which may offer up dialogs regarding firewall options.

If you want to run the firewall at any time there are menu entries under both Network and Setup categories to do this.

If you run mostly Live CD why not take a few minutes to burn yourself a Precise 5.7.1 now in case this was a bug that got fixed.

It is true that firewallstate is not included in BarryK's Precise. I had a go at making some enhancements to the latest source code. If anyone wants to give it a try you can read about it here:-
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... &start=150
Oscar in England

drongo

Different looking menus

#5 Post by drongo »

Hi OscarTalks,

I always get the dialog window. I don't invoke it manually, I just wait for it to come up. It always allows me to set keyboard/timezone/language etc but sometimes the firewall option is missing completely.

This is on the same machine running pfix=ram.

I'm thinking it's some sort of timing issue, maybe something to do with finding partitions (the partition icons appear at around the same time as the first run dialog)

It's not a biggie, but it's very odd.

drongo

#6 Post by drongo »

I just checked, it's called Quick Setup and appears before the first run screen with the barking dog.

I'm also missing the set timezone from the internet option and probably the hostname, so it's the lower third of the panel basically.

watchdog

#7 Post by watchdog »

I think it probably is a bug hardware related. I would try to boot from a usb stick or a sd card with pfix=ram option instead of using a cd.

npierce

#8 Post by npierce »

Once upon a time, the frame for network setup in quicksetup only appeared if an ethernet connection was found at boot time. Barry changed it last July so that it always appears in new versions of Precise. See: QuickSetup network frame

Here is the change in /usr/sbin/quicksetup:

Code: Select all

#130701 removed this condition, always display network frame...
 #if [ -f /var/local/quicksetup-network-check-flag1 ];then
Your Precise 5.6.1 was released on 2013-May-29, so doesn't have the change. See: Precise Puppy 5.6.1

drongo

#9 Post by drongo »

My bad!

Poor observation on my part. I must have been booting up without the ethernet cable attached sometimes. (The machine is a laptop and doesn't have a permanent home.)

Guess I should upgrade to 5.7.1

I wasn't reading Barry's updates around then as I was just about to go on holiday.

Puppy is just too clever by half, sometimes.