OpenGL Games on ATI Graphics not working on MacPup 5.2.5

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of computer video hardware
macpup16

OpenGL Games on ATI Graphics not working on MacPup 5.2.5

#1 Post by macpup16 »

To begin with, I am new to this forum, and would like to introduce myself. I am a longtime user of both MacPup and Puppy Linux (which are basically the same thing), and some other versions of Linux. I am pretty experienced with computers, but I signed up here because I do need some help, and to discuss my favorite Linux version, Puppy Linux. Anyways, I am looking forward to meeting everyone. Now onto the questions. I am running MacPup 5.2.5 on a Fujitsu LifeBook N6420 with ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 graphics, but I am unable to play OpenGL games at a playable FPS. I have tried every driver I could run with my graphics, but to no avail. Some games just crash completely, while others are unplayable because they are so slow. Does anyone here know what I should do? Is there a specific driver I should try? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks - macpup

ardvark

#2 Post by ardvark »

Hi...

Welcome to the forums :)

Let's first find out what driver you're using. Please open a terminal and post the output of...

Code: Select all

glxinfo | grep -i vendor
You will need the package "mesa-utils" installed to perform this function, so in case you come up with an error message, just go to the Puppy Package Manager and type in the name of the above program and you should be able to install it from there. If not, it's possible the version I've included below might work, even though it's for Lucid.

Also, please include the output for your video card/chipset using this command...

Code: Select all

lspci -nn
Regards...
Attachments
Mesa-utils-7.7.1-Lucid.pet
(20.86 KiB) Downloaded 438 times
Our Lord and Savior [url=http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/]Jesus Christ[/url] loves and cares about you most of all!

PLEASE READ! You don't have to end up [url=http://www.spiritlessons.com/Documents/BillWiese_23MinutesInHell_Text.htm]here![/url]