Slacko 5.7 final - 8 March 2014

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Ted Dog

#341 Post by Ted Dog »

zigbert wrote:@01micko;
- default colours for console should be light chars on dark background, please. :)

...just to say I like it, and that taste is hard to argue...

Sigmund
totally agree but you may not see this since this forum has the same problems. Middle shades of Gray should be banned.. This site is nearly impossible on my old kindle browser.

zigbert

#342 Post by zigbert »

L18L
Nice catch!
I will encourage you to pull a request at github
https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/w ... ontmanager

You don't need to install git - you can do it in githubs web interface.
The more devs, the better....

Sigmund

L18L

fontmanager

#343 Post by L18L »

zigbert wrote:I will encourage you to pull a request at github
https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/w ... ontmanager
...done

SFR

Xarchive

#344 Post by SFR »

Hi Mick

I mentioned once about the problem with Xarchive + 7z and rar archives encrypted with -mhe=on and -hp options (header encryption) respectively.
The problem is that any attempt to open such archive results in _total_ freeze of the entire system - only CTRL+ALT+Backspace helps.

Well, I didn't find a decent way to _really_ fix it (i.e. make Xarchive working with those), but at least I did modify 7za-wrap.sh and rar-wrap.sh scripts in a way that such archives are being detected, appropriate msg displayed and xarchive killed, to prevent that unfortunate hangups.

Code: Select all

$P7Z_PROG l -p- "$archive" >/dev/null
    if [ $? -ne 0 ]; then
      xmessage -center -title "Xarchive" "The archive seems to be corrupted or its header is encrypted.
7z and rar archives with encrypted headers are not supported."
      kill `ps | grep "xarchive $archive" | grep -v grep | awk '{print $1}'`
      exit 1
    fi
Wrappers attached.

Oh, btw: considering my modifications of PupZip and other related stuff in Woof, now (for Slacko) it's just a matter to create this symlink:

ln -s /usr/local/bin/7z /usr/local/bin/7za
what will make Xarchive able to utilize 7za wrapper, enabling support for 7z archives (rar already is).

Greetings!
Attachments
wrappers.tar.gz
(3.37 KiB) Downloaded 175 times
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]
[b][color=green]Omnia mea mecum porto.[/color][/b]

Jim1911

Slacko 5.6.5.6

#345 Post by Jim1911 »

Hi Mick,

Your latest is working great, however my favorite program Bibletime won't run. Running in a terminal provides the following error although Pfind does locate it.

# bibletime
bibletime: error while loading shared libraries: libclucene.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Instead of chasing this problem, please compile the latest for Slacko which has numerous updates, time permitting.
Bibletime web site wrote:The BibleTime team is proud to announce the immediate availability of BibleTime version 2.10.0, which is the first release in the stable 2.10 series of BibleTime.

Notable changes since 2.9.2:

Enhancements:
Uses Sword library version 1.7.
Changed source code archive format from .tar.bz2 to .tar.xz (~40% size reduction).
Added Find context menu for search within each window. Matching words are highlighted and navigated using next or previous buttons.
Added support for HTTP, HTTPS, SFTP transports in BibleTime.
Implemented saving of font family and size in HTML commentary editor.
Bugs fixed:
Fixed problem where certain alternate versification bibles did not display old testament.
Fixed Windows Control Panel version was to be correct.
Fixed search analysis save dialog filters.
Fixed search analysis save asking for overwrite confirmation twice.
Optimized and enhanced search analysis to output proper XHTML.
Fixed widget ending up disabled after removing install source.
Mag Window uses current module if no default cross reference is set.
Fixed a bug in the HTML commentary editor which resulted in text formatting from the cursor to be applied to the whole selection.
Allow comboxboxes on config dialog desk page to resize.
Fixed some lexicons never working.
Fixed high stack memory usage on indexing.
Fixed unexpected exception with encrypted modules.
Fixed application freeze during installation of works.
We Bibletime users really appreciate your continued support of Bibletime in your fine distributions.

Regards,
Jim

OscarTalks

#346 Post by OscarTalks »

I have mentioned this in the pMusic thread but testing Slacko 5.6.5.6 and here are the ever-increasing func_player processes after running the CD player. First run opens main pMusic GUI, second run opens the CD GUI but then my system gets taken over by these which I can't get rid of without rebooting.
Attachments
pmusicCD.jpg
After 2 runs of pMusic CD
(53.16 KiB) Downloaded 1308 times
Oscar in England

vicmz

Slacko with Openbox

#347 Post by vicmz »

Hello everyone.

I'm making a remaster of Slacko with OpenboxPlus. In both v56 and v5.6.5.6 the Puppy tray apps won't appear in the system tray in Lxpanel 0.5.10 from Slacko repository. In other puppies this doesn't happen, is there something different about Slacko?

Screenshot (Gnome Mplayer appears in the tray but the network, storage and volume apps are missing)

EDIT: solved, symlink to the applets in /usr/bin into /root/Startup make them show up in Lxpanel.

EDIT 2: I had to copy the retrovol_tray script from Dpup, a symlink to retrovol opened the configuration window.

The new Slacko is getting really good, I can see the hard work everyone is doing with Woof-CE.
Attachments
Screenshot_2014-02-20_005456.png
(36.29 KiB) Downloaded 1362 times
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76948]Puppy Linux en español[/url]

01micko

Re: Slacko with Openbox

#348 Post by 01micko »

vicmz wrote: EDIT: solved, symlink to the applets in /usr/bin into /root/Startup make them show up in Lxpanel.

EDIT 2: I had to copy the retrovol_tray script from Dpup, a symlink to retrovol opened the configuration window.

Hacky! :lol:

Seems openbox needs pyXDG, which in turn probably depends on devx. Possible soulution is to add a startup file in ~/.config/LXDE/autostart. (ref: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/LX ... t_programs)
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

SFR

Re: Slacko with Openbox

#349 Post by SFR »

Hi Mick

I suppose you're tracking JWM updates, but just in case - Joe has just fixed 2 issues, one with VICE and the other with SoftMaker Office:
https://github.com/joewing/jwm/issues/106
Anyway, the color of the cursor should be changed - red on darkgray is barely visible.
#0000ffff0000, #0000ffffffff or #ffffffff0000 are much better. 8)

Greetings!
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]

zigbert

#350 Post by zigbert »

OscarTalks wrote:I have mentioned this in the pMusic thread but testing Slacko 5.6.5.6 and here are the ever-increasing func_player processes after running the CD player. First run opens main pMusic GUI, second run opens the CD GUI but then my system gets taken over by these which I can't get rid of without rebooting.
Please test the new 4.2.5
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=31206

I could not fully reproduce your error, so please test and give feedback.

Thank you
Sigmund

OscarTalks

#351 Post by OscarTalks »

Hi Sigmund,

What I am doing is just booting the Live CD with pfix=ram and starting the CD player from the menu. There is no audio CD in the drive, just the Live CD.

The CD GUI now opens on the first run with pMusic 4.2.5, but I am still getting lots of func_player processes multiplying in Pprocess and my Xload indicator keeps rising and rising, even after I close the CD GUI.

I have found that I can do killall func_player in terminal and that kills them all, but otherwise the system gets overloaded and slows down.
Oscar in England

zigbert

#352 Post by zigbert »

Think I got it
pMusic 4.2.6

koulaxizis

#353 Post by koulaxizis »

Hello! I have just tried Slacko 5.6.5.6

I like the new iconset a lot and the tray icons are awesome!!

I loved the new shutdown dialog and the network setup dialog, it was about time for an upgrade. ;)

Everything is working very fast and i didn't have any drivers problems - audio, video and network are working fine!

That's all for now! I'm sure that Slacko 5.7 is going to be a fantastic Puppy! Thank you all for your hard work!
[b]Christos Koulaxizis[/b]
[i]Woof woof from Greece![/i]

[color=darkred][url=https://sourceforge.net/projects/puppystuff/][ Puppy Stuff Repository ][/url][/color]

drblock2

Truncated dialog windows in SoftMaker office

#354 Post by drblock2 »

The truncated dialog windows in SoftMaker office can be fixed as follows:

Navigate to Tools > Options > Appearance. Check the box Window Manager Positioning.

Jades

#355 Post by Jades »

Any news on the PAE version? Seems to have been "some days" now. ;)
Zhaan - AMD K6 2 500, 512MB RAM, ATI Rage 128 VR. Full install Wary 5.5 [url=http://tinyurl.com/dy66kh8]HardInfo Report[/url]
Merlin - Core i5-4590, 8GB RAM, Radeon R9 270X. Slacko 5.7.0

SFR

#356 Post by SFR »

Thanks for the heads up about SM, Drblock2.

Ok, this one is really weird:
5.6.5.6 runs fine on my Toshiba, but when I booted it on my Acer AO 722 today (for the very first time) a "freeze-of-death" attacked right after entering the desktop.

Long story short it turned out that the freeze is triggered by some apps (from ~/.config/autostart), most likely while they're being loaded into systray.
Some of them seems to be ok, but some, especially network_tray, are causing this every single time.

Nope, it's not JWM - the older (574), the latest version and IceWM make no difference.
network_tray from 5.6 also hung the system.

But, for example, Osmo, which has systray icon, doesn't cause it.
Slacko64-5.8.8 also runs fine, so what could it be? Kernel? :?
I'll wait for the PAE and see if it will change anything...

EDIT: Ahh, I know what's going on!
I completely forgot that AO722 + older 3.4.x kernels, tend to freeze soon after reaching the desktop, unless "network boot" is on the first position in BIOS.
When I installed Slacko-5.6.3 (k3.10.19) on this netbook some time ago, I moved netboot down, to test if this issue has been fixed (it is in newer kernels).
After moving netboot back to the first position 5.6.5.6 runs fine. :)

So yep, it's a kernel issue - they still haven't fixed it in 3.4.X series...

Greetings!
Last edited by SFR on Sun 23 Feb 2014, 20:18, edited 1 time in total.

eztuxer

#357 Post by eztuxer »

I all !
Great pup, and good work.
Bug report:

Whit open box I get this msg :

Don't poop it down... Pup it Up !

vicmz

#358 Post by vicmz »

eztuxer wrote:I all !
Great pup, and good work.
Bug report:

Whit open box I get this msg :

Hi eztuxer,
Please give more details, when does the message appear for example. The screenshot is from OB Puppy, which is basically the same as installing OpenboxPlus into the original Slacko.

About JWM: when I maximize a rox-filer window, it gets quickly restored as soon as I click on a folder, same for gnome mplayer, when a new video starts the window is automatically restored (doesn't fill the desktop anymore). Is it a feature? I've seen this in Quirky Tahr as well.
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76948]Puppy Linux en español[/url]

eztuxer

#359 Post by eztuxer »

Yes, sorry, I forgot to mention that it happens only at start up with OB puppy installed on an 8 GB USB stick, running on a mini laptop Akoya MEDION 10" screen res: 1368X768 dual core AMD -Processors-
AMD A4-1200 APU with Radeon(TM) HD Graphics : 998.15MHz
AMD A4-1200 APU with Radeon(TM) HD Graphics : 998.15MHz
I just close this pop up window and the machine runs fine afterward.

It didn't do it at first, but started after I switched to JWM then back to Open Box.

I have another minor bug to submit with JWM but I save it for later to keep some clarity in the tread.
Don't poop it down... Pup it Up !

Ray MK

#360 Post by Ray MK »

Hi 01micko

Am using slacko5.6.5 atm with my 701SD EeePc (512mb ram + celeron proc.) and all is very good, including suspend / resume.

Firefox works but I usually install dillo for use as default html viewer and opera as default browser because they are so much more responsive.

Opera is in the package manager and should be easily found by a new user, as is Lynx, but no dillo.

Would you consider, when time allows, uploading dillo - or if space allows, including it in the new 5.7slacko.

Any new Puppy user struggling with ram challenged kit would probably find the faster browsers easier and be very pleased.

Many thanks and very best regards - Ray.
[b]Asus[/b] 701SD. 2gig ram. 8gb SSD. [b]IBM A21m[/b] laptop. 192mb ram. PIII Coppermine proc. [b]X60[/b] T2400 1.8Ghz proc. 2gig ram. 80gb hdd. [b]T41[/b] Pentium M 1400Mhz. 512mb ram.