Puppy Linux Windows Installer - LICK v1.3.3 released

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Thunderbird

#281 Post by Thunderbird »

mikeb wrote: My XP boots in a minute on pentium 3s...sounds like you need some serious fixing doing there...stuck updates perhaps?
mike
Its a Pentium 4 with 512 mb ram XP and actually boots in a couple of minutes. Problem is the computer is unusable for the next 18 minutes while it checks for Windows updates, loads various drivers and processes (I have stopped as many as I reasonably can), runs the Belkin Wireless utility for the dongle (no built in wireless) and updates the anti virus (I use Avast which is faster and less memory hungry than any other I have used).

If you sit with the Task Manager open you can see the available memory drop as low as 20 mb before it settles at about 300 mb when it has eventually sorted itself.

Once its settled its actually not that bad but you need to prepare well in advance should you decide to use it.

With Puppy its fine for browsing which in truth is about all we need it for. We plan to take it to dads eventually so we can pay his bills etc while we are there.

mikeb

#282 Post by mikeb »

Problem is the computer is unusable for the next 18 minutes while it checks for Windows updates, loads various drivers and processes (I have stopped as many as I reasonably can), runs the Belkin Wireless utility for the dongle (no built in wireless) and updates the anti virus (I use Avast which is faster and less memory hungry than any other I have used).
Well I won't derail the thread too much but we had quite a discussion on the subject here recently.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=89295

Briefly I have never used antivirus, updates are disabled , I used it for internet banking and it boots to about 65MB usage.
Another bunny is programs insist on having themselves in the background at boot up with no real gain...eg adobe, java, printers,sound and video configs and many more....its something I always look for after installing anything. If not you end up with a huge list taking over yer cpu and ram while doing nothing related to your actual needs. Devices especially will work just fine without 200MB of garbage added. Also makes it less obvious if you do happen to pick up a virus.

ok time to fly

mike

Thunderbird

#283 Post by Thunderbird »

I recently installed Win 7 Pro on a 5 or 6 year old Dual core pentium laptop which has 2 gb ram. The install disk was the latest image from the Microsoft site thus no bloat, just bought the licence.

The laptop boots in about a minute and uses about 500 mb of ram while its idling. The only additions I made to the install were the correct N-Videa drivers and the Ricoh drivers for the card readers.

Absolutely flies and works perfectly without all the nonsense manufacturers insist on installing when they sell you a computer. Only 35 processes running, my work PC has over 70 and needs 4 gb of ram just to limp along.

mikeb

#284 Post by mikeb »

Clean installs will be lighter and fluffy... the trick is keeping it that way. And yes too many additions that users are tricked into believeing they need.

Another think you might be interest in is Nlite...I found it useful to make nice trim install images which install fast and are already decrudded . Before that i used XP lite to trim the fat of existing installs which works but not such a clean approach. My main target is actually to remove IE and related software for security .... for performance avoiding the build up of clutter is the best way ... antivirus in particular can be extremely inefficient.

Not sure what tools exist for 7 since I don't use it though similar rules apply I believe since underneath its all NT.

mike

mike

puppylin

#285 Post by puppylin »

Hi, in my experience using the Windows installer, there was no dialog to ask which partition to install Puppy to. It always installs to the default C drive. I'd like to know how to install it to say D drive, as I have some PCs with limited spaced on the C. Can anyone help?

ally

#286 Post by ally »

hey lin

you do not have to use the windows installer, you can install to your d drive although it is not always recommended to install to ntfs drives

best would be to make space on the drive for a linux partition, it doesn't have to be large, just enough to place puppy and a savefile

from puppy run grub4dos and then you will be able to dual boot at will

:)

edit - you could also boot from the cd with a savefile on the d drive, the cd can be removed if needed

puppylin

#287 Post by puppylin »

ally wrote:hey lin

you do not have to use the windows installer, you can install to your d drive although it is not always recommended to install to ntfs drives

best would be to make space on the drive for a linux partition, it doesn't have to be large, just enough to place puppy and a savefile

from puppy run grub4dos and then you will be able to dual boot at will

edit - you could also boot from the cd with a savefile on the d drive, the cd can be removed if needed
Hi, I have some PCs that now not using NTFS, but Fat32. Is it possible to install it onto an existing Fat32 D: drive, alongside existing files there? Just like how the Win installer installs it next to an existing C:/windows. Which format of puppy will suitable to use to install this way? Do you have a link to it? If possible, this would be my first preference before doing linux partition or bootup via CD/USB. Thanks.

ally

#288 Post by ally »

hey again

yes you can install to the d drive

make sure you defrag the drive first, download and burn an ISO image (make sure you get an iso burner program) and boot pc with that disc

when booted follow the set-up steps (keyboard etc.) and then look for 'puppy universal installer' from the setup menu

follow the instructions for a 'frugal' install and select the appropriate drive (d:/) - this will probably be sda2 (click on the icon to explore to double check)

when the 'install' finishes run 'grub4dos' from the system menu, this will sort the dual boot for you

there are many puppies to choose from and it is mostly a matter of personal choice, I couldn't see details of your system anywhere but slacko has always been a good option for my machines

if an older system use the non-pae version

HTH

bales

Thank you

#289 Post by bales »

Great installer. I've tried both install and uninstall with multiple versions.

I was interested in a Linux distribution that could be installed by a relative noob with the minimum fear factor. This is definitely the one I'd recommend.

:D

mikeb

#290 Post by mikeb »

Great installer. I've tried both install and uninstall with multiple versions.

I was interested in a Linux distribution that could be installed by a relative noob with the minimum fear factor. This is definitely the one I'd recommend.

Very Happy
Yes opne of those things i wish I had come up with :D

Just as a note this is for installing puppy from within windows.... particularly useful for such as netbooks or where optical drives are not being wonderful and the normal puppy install tools cannot be used because....you cannot run puppy. (yet)

Windows users are used to downloading and running programs. Start talking about iso and disk burning, or making bootable usb sticks and you are getting into a foreign language. :) Such things come in time but the first hurdle is usually to get something...anything... running.

mike

shinobar

Window 8.1

#291 Post by shinobar »

@noryb009 and to all

Newly released Puppy_Linux_571JP_Installer.exe supports Window 8.1. Note that the UEFI is still not supported.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=91463

Window 8.1 has different version name with windows 8. So, we need to add some code to the PLIC.
The modified creator PLIC-JP.tar.gz is available:
http://shino.pos.to/party/bridge.cgi?pu ... 7JP/tools/
Last edited by shinobar on Wed 22 Jan 2014, 14:32, edited 2 times in total.
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

mikeb

#292 Post by mikeb »

Window 8.1 needs special code to be add.
Well one is not surprised....MS must have a whole department dedicated to prattling around with PC boot methods.

Does it still use bootmgr or has it mutated to something else?

mike

shinobar

Window 8.1 version name

#293 Post by shinobar »

@mikeb

Just the Window 8.1 has different version name with windows 8.
Note that the new PLIC still does not support UEFI.
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

bones01

Re: Puppy Linux Windows Installer - V1.1 released

#294 Post by bones01 »

noryb009 wrote:Install Puppy Linux on Windows
Most people who come here are probably looking for this link, hosting a Windows installer for the most recent official Puppy Linux, as well as a few derivatives.
Thanks for your work on this noryb009. After buying my son a macbook air for Uni (oh, the shame), I've just inherited his old laptop and have been looking forward to getting back to puppy. But I didn't want to lose the windows OS as this helps others in our family. Your link and expertise have made it possible to have both with very little effort. I can't tell you how grateful I am that people like you can make things happen.

Thanks for your efforts.

Bones
Dell Latitude D630 running Puppy 5.2.8 frugal, Macpup 525 frugal (if I can get it working again. Sadly, I couldn't get it fixed :? )
Precise Puppy 5.4 live DVD
Precise 5.7.3 on USB

noryb009

#295 Post by noryb009 »

Apparently, I wasn't getting email notifications for posts here... :oops:

@bones01: Thank you, nice to hear!
not sure of the status of this very useful program but if updates did happen a choice of partitions might be a welcome feature
It would be, and is something I'm hoping to work on at some point.
Window 8.1 has different version name with windows 8. So, we need to add some code to the PLIC.
Thanks, I'll add this to github soon. I'm getting access to a windows 8.1 computer soon, so I can also try to see what we can do about UEFI/secureboot, if anything.

phredo

#296 Post by phredo »

I have been running from a "puppy' folder on my old asus netbook and love it. For the life of me I can't remember where I found the files I used, but here's how it works.

I have both a boot folder and a puppy folder and the puppy folder has sub-folders for as many puppies as I choose to reference from the menu.lst in the boot folder. Here are the instructions that came with it, which I edited some:
1. Transfer this directory (boot) and the puppy directory, which also contains the slacpup and prepup directories, to target C: drive.

2. Run grubinstall.exe from Windows on that HD.

3. Add the line:

C:\BOOT\STAGE1="Puppy Linux"

to the end of the boot.ini file on the HD.
The boot folder contains grubinstall.exe, stage1, stage2, and menu.lst.

So, it's not as simple as the exe described in this thread, but it's not bad. And it allows me to choose from several puppies. Perhaps the menu.lst in the one on this thread could be edited to do the same?

Besides sharing, I have a question. When I boot up, the default boot after the timeout is to XP. I would like to change it to Puppy, but I don't know how. My boot.ini looks like this:
[boot loader]
timeout=20
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
C:\BOOT\STAGE1="Puppy Linux"
I'm thinking I just need to change the "default=" line, but nothing I've tried has worked. Any ideas? I've been playing around all day, getting ready for April's XP nonsupport, creating a savefile dedicated to running virtualbox with a slimmed down XP inside. So far it's been working great! I have the vbox sfs outside of Puppy and have vbox creating its vdi files also outside of Puppy, so the save file doesn't have to hold them.

noryb009

#297 Post by noryb009 »

Update on my last post: Windows 8.1 support has been added to the repo. I'm still looking at UEFI/secure boot.
Perhaps the menu.lst in the one on this thread could be edited to do the same?
The one in this thread can already boot multiple puppies, but thanks for the suggestion.

I think I had a boot.ini defaulting to grldr (stage1, in your case) at some point. I think the default line was just:

Code: Select all

default=C:\BOOT\STAGE1

mikeb

#298 Post by mikeb »

No notifications are fun :D
I've been playing around all day, getting ready for April's XP nonsupport,
I use windows 2000 almost daily long after the official support was dropped. There is nothing really to prepare for ..its just a marketing ploy...nothing will stop working...your machine will not have a mass invasion.

Your boot.ini method is really the grub version of win'n'lin (grub4dos is derived from grub and shares code) ..the exe installer simply automates this for user convenience and non techie usage and, like this method, is a way of doing it without touching the mbr.... just want to clarify that.

mike

phredo

#299 Post by phredo »

... is a way of doing it without touching the mbr.
If that's the case, how would I reverse it if I decided I didn't want to make use of this dual boot method? I assumed I would (1) take the added line out of the boot.ini, and (2) restore the mbr to it's original state. But if it's not the mbr that's been changed, I guess that wouldn't work.

noryb009

#300 Post by noryb009 »

The uninstaller just removes the entry from the boot.ini (along with deleting the grub4dos and puppy files).

The MBR for Windows NT/XP displays a menu. However, IIRC, if there is only one entry in boot.ini, this menu is skipped. So by adding or removing the second entry in boot.ini, the menu is shown or skipped, respectively.