Fatdog64-630 & 631 Final (May 12 2014)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
jamesbond

#161 Post by jamesbond »

Ted Dog wrote:yes you can easily upgrade phone plan to gain hotspot and wired tethering for an additional 20 bucks a month. America will charge you extra any way they can. even if the remove the built in methods and then charge you to turn them on..
Ouch! I didn't know about that, sorry :oops:
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

gcmartin

#162 Post by gcmartin »

@Ted Dog has shared in the past that he has sometimes been able to download stuff to his phone when away from home, then load it on his home system when he returns. In doing so, he uses WiFi connections when away from home so as not to use his "Cell" component's data plan.

This is normal and customary. Telcos charges are incurred for any traffic, voice or data, that goes over the cell network. And do not charge when smartDevice is used via a WiFi connection.

I do the same thing.
BTW: 01Micko describes a smartPhone implementation where the phone is a modem on behalf of a PC when wired to the PC. Click here.

Ted Dog

#163 Post by Ted Dog »

yep network of friends and family and coffee shops supply my internet needs :D so a little heads up when you release a fatdog64 version I rush to town to download it. Even if it requires me to download it from a friends drive way using their wifi after I already left once before...
Cops do stop to remind you that stealing wifi without permission is against the law. Twice so far I have been talked to. :twisted: Android has been a G-d send the iPhone my family forced on me as a gift since I could not get those cute kid or dog pictures on my rotary phone.. just kidding I had a brick phone with big real buttons.
I have no need to shell out 40 bucks to see a pic or facetime with family whatever that is.. :wink: So Im on a family plan and they pay for me the forced dataplan.

kpfuser

#164 Post by kpfuser »

gcmartin wrote:Hi @KPFuser

This post does NOT answer your question directly. But, instead, offers an options where Remaster is NOT needed.
Maybe what follows does not answer my question directly, but in terms of solving my problem it is right on the mark indeed!
If you intend to run via DVD (this is the ONLY way FATDOG620+ is supported). you can allow the system to save-session to the DVD at shutdown.
But of course! This is as brilliant as it is simple!!! This is a fantastic work-around to remastering! Just save the sessions that result in system changes and dump the rest! Wow! My puppy experience has turned promising again!
In my years of using FATDOG via DVD, I have NEVER run out of space in my use. So, Remaster has not been needed as my total FATDOG experience, year to year, is via the same DVD. (BTW, I have run into several problems in my personal use of remaster, as changes to certain libraries operating in the running system are NOT replicated in the Remaster, causing a hit-or-miss effort in replication of the running system).
I do not anticipate any space problems either as I intend to save to the DVD only the sessions that introduce changes in my system, i.e., software installation, personalization, etc. In all other cases I will go for the "don't save" option, something that I have done all along, relying on removable media or online storage for saving useful data generated in a given session.
Hope this helps
You bet it has! A very big THANK YOU indeed!

toomanyquestions

QT Theme Config Tool?

#165 Post by toomanyquestions »

Is there is a config .pet?
Last edited by toomanyquestions on Fri 28 Feb 2014, 16:46, edited 4 times in total.

neerajkolte

#166 Post by neerajkolte »

Ted Dog wrote:Can download package formats fine but text just displays in browser without option to save to memory..
Hi Ted I also use android to download when at work and tether my net connection to my pc through wired or wifi hotspot wen at home.
I use ucbrowser mini on my android. I just pess n hold on link and select "save as" from the context menu that appears it will save the text file insted of opening it.
Ted Dog wrote: yes you can easily upgrade phone plan to gain hotspot and wired tethering for an additional 20 bucks a month. America will charge you extra any way they can. even if the remove the built in methods and then charge you to turn them on.. .
I have never came across any android with tethering restricted in India. Do you have rooted phone? If yes, I am sure there might be a way to turn it on yourself, I don't think telcos will detect it. But got to do research first. ;)
"One of my most productive days was throwing away 1000 lines of code."
- Ken Thompson

“We tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.â€￾
- Amara’s Law.

Billtoo

Fatdog64-630 Final (February 11 2014)

#167 Post by Billtoo »

I burned the Fatdog64-630.iso to a DVD+RW.
It took several sessions to add pets,set password,and setup the
wireless network.

video-info-glx 1.5.3 Sat 1 Mar 2014 on Fatdog64 630 Linux 3.12.9 x86_64
0.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Device 6611
oem: AMD ATOMBIOS
product: OLAND 01.00
X Server: Xorg Driver: fglrx
X.Org version: 1.12.4
dimensions: 1920x1080 pixels (508x285 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes
direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: ATI
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: AMD Radeon HD 8570
OpenGL core profile version string: 4.3.12618 Core Profile Context 13.251

# glxgears
19559 frames in 5.0 seconds = 3911.749 FPS
31398 frames in 5.0 seconds = 6279.513 FPS
29510 frames in 5.0 seconds = 5901.985 FPS
#

It's working great so far.
Attachments
image-2.jpg
(61.1 KiB) Downloaded 299 times
image-1.jpg
(26.63 KiB) Downloaded 550 times
Last edited by Billtoo on Mon 03 Mar 2014, 13:43, edited 1 time in total.

gcmartin

Re: Fatdog64-630 Final (February 11 2014)

#168 Post by gcmartin »

wrong sited post

WillM

#169 Post by WillM »

These are sfs files for jdk1.7u51, jre1.7u51, and apache-ant-1.93.
The java environment is set with a file placed in /etc/profile.d
It is necessary to restart or restart X server to load the java environment.. The Java plugin for Firefox is not included.
The sfs are in this directory:
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing

md5sums:

Code: Select all

38fcc5ee134fd59ae4b22f4307e53b9a  jdk17u51_64_630.sfs
ef3164e84a5087760d544b169720384d  jre17u51_64_630.sfs
5516073adb383206170e53ee8128b60c  apache-ant-1.9.3_630.sfs

kpfuser

#170 Post by kpfuser »

gcmartin wrote:Hi @KPFuser

This post does NOT answer your question directly. But, instead, offers an options where Remaster is NOT needed.

If you intend to run via DVD (this is the ONLY way FATDOG620+ is supported). you can allow the system to save-session to the DVD at shutdown.
Well, as I mentioned in a previous post, the idea sounds great. However, something went amiss during implementation. To be specific, I downloaded the Fatdog64-630.iso and burned it to a DVD+R leaving it open session. Then I booted (with some difficulty, my system ignored the DVD in the drive a few times preferring to boot from hd instead) and spent some time making some changes to the system including a wallpaper change to make it obvious for future bootups that my changes have been incorporated into the system. At shutdown I created a save file on the DVD, which file (two files actually) I am able to see by mounting the DVD. However, upon booting from this DVD, the save file(s) is ignored and I get the original fatdog with none of my system changes in sight. Next I repeated the process by creating the savefile on a usb drive with identical results upon reboot. What am I doing wrong?

Ted Dog

#171 Post by Ted Dog »

There is a real life usability issue with Fatdog64 and multisession and we keep hitting the same wall. It is easy to fix but not by users but developers should address it.. I found a workaround that I will only share via PM for half the problem but it does not solve the front end settings. I hope Kirk and James would take a few hours to for once and all solve this instead of closing the loop holes I have used to make multisession more flexible and have been FIX to my horror. Was that done on purpose to keep the underused multisession from being used differently then first thought? I do not know.. But I am scared to explain other loopholes I have to use in this version since the old work arounds have been eliminated.
I did have plans to demonstrate where I wished Fatdog64 would become with enhanced multisession support but real life family and a new lady in my life has greatly reduced my hobby time.. It will be call FAsTDOG64 and have 99.95 percent compatibility. It is so compatible with FatDog I can't tell the difference until I try to use the minor reconstruction and it did not work. It also fixes some unresolved issues but did so as a side effect.

Billtoo

#172 Post by Billtoo »

Ted Dog wrote:There is a real life usability issue with Fatdog64 and multisession and we keep hitting the same wall.
The only problem that I'm having with multisession so far is with
suspend.
It comes out of suspend when the mouse button or spacebar is pressed
but then goes right back into suspend in a few seconds, I hit
ctrl-alt-backspace and got to the prompt, then xwin to get back to the
desktop but then had to open the control panel and redo the wireless
network settings.
Seems to be working okay for now but will likely have to do the same
again after next suspend.

Ted Dog

#173 Post by Ted Dog »

real life usability issue is you must stop the auto boot each time and type in a longer than it should be configuration string to point the system to where the last time around changes exists. Normal PUPPYLINUX defaults to multisession since any other reconfiguration has the ability to much easier change config files.
I remaster mine to switch first and second configurations so that multisession is always defaults to optical drive. But that is a long process.

Ted Dog

#174 Post by Ted Dog »

Billtoo wrote:
Ted Dog wrote:There is a real life usability issue with Fatdog64 and multisession and we keep hitting the same wall.
The only problem that I'm having with multisession so far is with
suspend.
It comes out of suspend when the mouse button or spacebar is pressed
but then goes right back into suspend in a few seconds, I hit
ctrl-alt-backspace and got to the prompt, then xwin to get back to the
desktop but then had to open the control panel and redo the wireless
network settings.
Seems to be working okay for now but will likely have to do the same
again after next suspend.
That is a different bug unrelated to multisession. but if you have any usb filesystem mounted it could go away. I think it is like a debouce button press problem. The run in RAM methods of multisession cause the filesystem to be recovered too quicky before the stored copy of the flag to suspend has been over written by the fresh state that restore has completed and flag removed.
In my experiences running with multisession and susspend outside of fatdog64 is the resume is instantaneous. which would not be if computer was having to spin up a harddrive or remount a slow USB.

gcmartin

#175 Post by gcmartin »

The DVD boot problem
You MUST, at the boot-time menu select the option for multi-session. I have, in the past, found that for some odd reason when 620 emerge something began to work differently than earlier 600 did for Multisession. Dont remember what though, but I did insure thereafter to begin using multisession after the first boot.

Doesn't that work?

I haven't booted my system in weeks. But, I'll shutdown and check tonight. Just to be sure, are we working with FATDOG64-630? or 630-RC1?

In the meantime, maybe @FATDOG development knows something that may have changed in Multisession support.

Edit: Seem to remember that my very first boot in 620 REQUIRED that I use multisession! Then after system setup using multisession went smoothly. ... I think! Probably should have raised the issue back then when I noticed, but didn't. I seem to remember something about something subtle in the boot-time menu, but cannot remember and did not note it once working.

DrDeaf

#176 Post by DrDeaf »

jamesbond wrote:Just tried to install it in a pristine 630, and it works, but apparently the install script doesn't work properly.
I need to remove that DEB-compatible install script.

Here's how to get it up and running. Download the plugin, choose 64-bit deb. Save it. DO NOT run from from the browser.
When finished downloading, DO NOT CLICK on the file. Instead, open the terminal containing the .deb files, and we will expand it manually.
From terminal:
1. undeb google-talk-plugin-amd64.deb
2. mv opt/google /opt
3. mv usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/* /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins
Restart browser. When I have time I will prepare a pet package that does all of this.

Btw 630 comes with *both* seamonkey and firefox. You can start seamonkey by typing "seamonkey" or "seamonkey-spot" on the usual Alt-F2 run dialog; or from terminal..
All good! I just used Firefox to make a call. Seamonkey runs also (I didn't know it was still available). Thank you very much for the help! Thanks also to gcmartin for his reply!

Ted Dog

#177 Post by Ted Dog »

mix and match boot methods.

Frugal to DVD multisession fall through method is kinda best of all worlds.

requires a harddisk AND optical drive which most everyone has...

burn Fatdog64 to DVD using puppylinux tools or other tools which keep DVD open to multisession.

BOOT USING DVD. When running new Fatdog64 630 setup a grub or sysconfig or Grub4Dos boot loader on harddrive. Copy config setting from DVD to match boot loader used.
swap defaults in now easy to edit config file on harddrive for multisession from sr0.
reboot and allow hardrive to fast boot using harddrive. But put in DVD disk or leave in drive if you already remembered to change back hardrive to boot first in BIOS. EFI is a different story it should have already defaulted back to harddrive.
Now any changes will be saved and reloaded to DVD and if DVD is missing it will still work like a frugal install or like the pfix=ram of other Puppylinuxes. However changes will be lost unless you place a new DVD in drive.

I use multisession to keep my various and diverse hobbys organized. It saves me the insanity of trying to recall how I set stuff up or wading through unrelated cruft.
This mixed mode idea allows quick boots and little changes to harddrive. With Windows8 that is really needed.

Ted Dog

#178 Post by Ted Dog »

DrDeaf wrote:
jamesbond wrote:Just tried to install it in a pristine 630, and it works, but apparently the install script doesn't work properly.
I need to remove that DEB-compatible install script.

Here's how to get it up and running. Download the plugin, choose 64-bit deb. Save it. DO NOT run from from the browser.
When finished downloading, DO NOT CLICK on the file. Instead, open the terminal containing the .deb files, and we will expand it manually.
From terminal:
1. undeb google-talk-plugin-amd64.deb
2. mv opt/google /opt
3. mv usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/* /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins
Restart browser. When I have time I will prepare a pet package that does all of this.

Btw 630 comes with *both* seamonkey and firefox. You can start seamonkey by typing "seamonkey" or "seamonkey-spot" on the usual Alt-F2 run dialog; or from terminal..
All good! I just used Firefox to make a call. Seamonkey runs also (I didn't know it was still available). Thank you very much for the help! Thanks also to gcmartin for his reply!
Run as spot trips someone else up.. again. really need to drop that construct.. Or explain to people what your are doing behind the icons to help them keep from hurting themselfs while causing all sorts of headaches like this so they can solve it for themselves. EI download as root so you can install directly instead of manual method that you run as root.

Billtoo

#179 Post by Billtoo »

Ted Dog wrote: That is a different bug unrelated to multisession. but if you have any usb filesystem mounted it could go away. I think it is like a debouce button press problem. The run in RAM methods of multisession cause the filesystem to be recovered too quicky before the stored copy of the flag to suspend has been over written by the fresh state that restore has completed and flag removed.
In my experiences running with multisession and susspend outside of fatdog64 is the resume is instantaneous. which would not be if computer was having to spin up a harddrive or remount a slow USB.
You're right, the suspend bug is separate from running multisession
from a dvd but I want to suspend the computer instead of shutting down
which would add another file to the dvd that has to be loaded next
boot.
I found the suspend.sh file but have no idea what/if any change to it
would make suspend work properly on my desktop pc.
The script is originally by shinobar but changed by jamesbond so
perhaps jamesbond has a fix?

I also have Fatdog installed to a usb 3.0 hard drive and suspend
doesn't work on that one either but shutting down daily or more often
isn't a problem with that install, I would prefer to run from the
DVD-RW though.

Ted Dog

#180 Post by Ted Dog »

oh did you wish the current session was written to DVD and then later reloaded or does newer suspend start doing that now? I am confused. When I suspend it does not write to anything. Suspend to RAM is the default or it sbould be since we are running from RAM.
I do not know what level of suspend Fatdog64 does. But it does seem to chew up battery faster than expected. I have had other laptops and past puppylinux versions go into a much deeper sleep mode that really shuts down everything but memory. It would last a month or 6 weeks in that state.So far Fatdog64 would last 2 days before battery cuts out in susspend mode.