Dell Optiplex sound

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
circusguy

Dell Optiplex sound

#1 Post by circusguy »

kind of stupid. I can't get the sound to work on an old Optiplex GX1 tower. found messages where other folks got it working, but the modprobe cs4236 commands etc don't work for me. ALSA can find and configure the legacy card, but still no sound. The volume is turned up. The speakers are plugged in. The one error message i'm getting says something like "unable to find control 'Master',0"

thanks

SnowDog

#2 Post by SnowDog »

The only stupid questions are the ones you don't ask.

I think I have a couple of those systems on order for delivery in a couple of weeks so I can probably give you more accurate answers then, but...
You could try this...
After you get those error messages. Do the Alsa configuration thing again (search for legacy cards etc.) then reboot.
I had a problem once that (I think) gave me those same error messages and that worked for me. Don't ask me how or why, but it worked.

If it doesn't work for you and you don't get an answer before then, I could PM you when I get those systems in and we can work on it together if you want.
If you find my posts helpful and you want to say thanks, please consider clicking the www button under my posts to visit my website.

rcrsn51

#3 Post by rcrsn51 »

I have Puppy on a Dell Optiplex desktop that shows the same error message, but the sound works. It just means that Puppy is unable to load a volume control icon onto the taskbar. What program are you using to test for sound? At the risk of asking an obvious question, do you have the speakers plugged into Line Out? This is my most common mistake with sound setups.

circusguy

RE: Optiplex sound

#4 Post by circusguy »

I've tried the ALSA configuration everal times now with the same lack of success. tried several sound players, and the ALSA test sound is mute as well. Sound works under WIN98, so the speakers are plugged in correctly. Of course I threw away a whole box of old sound cards cleaning the basement last spring. Now I wish i had at least one of them!

rcrsn51

#5 Post by rcrsn51 »

How are you saving your pup_save.3fs file? To the hard drive? As I recall, the ALSA sound test didn't produce a bark on my Dell Optiplex either, but the sound card became active after the next reboot. It has the same CS4236 card as you.

circusguy

Optiplex Sound

#6 Post by circusguy »

File saves to HD. No joy with the reboot, still dead silence. Speakers make a bried "snap" sound when ALSA probes the card, but nothing after it's configured