Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 30 Aug 2014, 14:29
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
A Beginner's Guide to Installing Puppy
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 10 of 10 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 8, 9, 10
edwin.evans

PostPosted: Thu 15 Nov 2012, 12:15    Post_subject: Confused about implications of full versus Frugal  

I'm confused about the implications of full versus Frugal. I'm installing Puppy on an SD Card and I want file changes to be saved immediately but now it looks like they are saved only once in a while.

Is this because I'm doing the wrong type of install?
Can I do a full install on an SD Card?
What do I need to do to not risk losing changes if the power is killed without any warning?

Thanks!
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Thu 15 Nov 2012, 12:29    Post_subject: Re: Confused about implications of full versus Frugal  

edwin.evans wrote:
I'm installing Puppy on an SD Card and I want file changes to be saved immediately but now it looks like they are saved only once in a while.

A regular frugal install to a hard drive works in PUPMODE=12. That means that your work is immediately written into the save file.

But devices like flash drives and memory cards work in PUPMODE=13, which only saves periodically. The intent is to minimize writing to the device and extend its life.

However, you can convert your SD setup to PUPMODE=12 using the instructions here.

Quote:
Can I do a full install on an SD Card?

No. Puppy doesn't allow that option.
edwin.evans

PostPosted: Thu 15 Nov 2012, 12:34    Post_subject: Re: Confused about implications of full versus Frugal  

Thanks you! That clears things up a lot.

During typical usage, about how long would you expect an SD Card to last if writing to flash immediately?
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Thu 15 Nov 2012, 12:39    Post_subject: Re: Confused about implications of full versus Frugal  

edwin.evans wrote:
During typical usage, about how long would you expect an SD Card to last if writing to flash immediately?

I have no idea. But one forum member ran a flash drive in PUPMODE=12 for months with no problems.
Pelo

PostPosted: Fri 28 Dec 2012, 02:07    Post_subject: PPM : Do it yourself
Sub_title: How to choose dependancies to be installed

In ubuntu repositories from PPM, a lot of dependancies have to be installed.
How can i choose which ones. IF i install all, the package is too big.
You, you know what is necessary.
Thanks for help, sirs.
jpeps

PostPosted: Fri 28 Dec 2012, 03:55    Post_subject: Re: PPM : Do it yourself
Sub_title: How to choose dependancies to be installed

Pelo wrote:
In ubuntu repositories from PPM, a lot of dependancies have to be installed.
How can i choose which ones. IF i install all, the package is too big.
You, you know what is necessary.
Thanks for help, sirs.

You could just run ldd on the exec and get what you need. I also use PetCheck to eliminate installation of duplicate files.
FeodorF

PostPosted: Wed 25 Sep 2013, 12:14    Post_subject:  Hooking up a CAD-CRT to Puppy Precise 5.7.1 [Solved]
Sub_title: Black screen after reboot into frugal mode

Little story right here.

I have an old CAD CRT (top quality, crystal clear picture) it can display up to 1280x1024x32bit. I tried to get it to work with the Puppy Precise 5.7.1 live CD. The problem occurred right after reboot - running into a black screen with blinking cursor. I had done a frugal install, but it didn't work.

The pupsave file was saved on a USB stick (8GB, FAT32). Using an LED LCD instead of the CRT made a difference - that worked.

After two days I remembered what forum member 'rcrsn51' had said about Barry's marker file for screen detection. 'It needs a partition with Linux id to work properly.'

Yeah! That's what I did today - formated the 8GB USB stick to 'ext3'. (Boy, nobody is perfect!)

...works great now!...

Greetings,
Feodor
mikeslr

PostPosted: Wed 05 Mar 2014, 22:03    Post_subject: Puppy Linux Window's Installer
Sub_title: Easy Install while running Windows

Hi All,

I haven't read all the posts on this thread, so I apologize if it's been mentioned before. But as this thread is a "sticky" and one of the first places a beginner will look for information regarding installing Puppy, I thought it to be a good place to provide a link to Shinobar's Puppy Linux Window Installer. Essentially, it's a program you run under windows --95 thru Windows 8, but see the limitation spelled out in the link-- which will install Puppies to your computer and enable you to dual boot both the installed Puppy and your Window OS.http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=462720#462720. Only a few versions of Puppy come in that format. But once one is installed, you can follow the instructions on the following links to add other Puppies and, if you desire, delete Windows (and your initial Puppy) from your hard drives.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=762842#762842

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=710157#710157

mikesLr
EdgarC

PostPosted: Wed 16 Jul 2014, 09:10    Post_subject:  

Cant dual boot windows 8 and puppy.

Disabled secure boot and uefi, but still does not work.

What to do?

It keep telling me it did not find a file(which is present, but it like it cant see the the drive)
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 10 of 10 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 8, 9, 10
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum