Any HTML5 compatible web browsers available for Puppy?

Booting, installing, newbie
gcmartin

Puppy & HTML5

#21 Post by gcmartin »

Yes, and @Flash, in his thread, has also begun to share insights into Puppy Linux community awareness of things useful in our views....especially since so many of us now have or are getting smartDevices.

There are other forum threads, as well, which bring some levels of Puppy-smartDevice knowledge into the community.

Pete

#22 Post by Pete »

@gcmartin

Thanks for the info, will certainly have a read.

NickAu

#23 Post by NickAu »

Burn_IT wrote:The test is inconsistent.
My up to date Firefox under Win 7 scored 418.
Yes I turned off AV!
Maybe it is. I doubt it.

That test tests how well your browser on your pc with your drivers motherboard processor etc can handle it. The result will differ from machine to machine from os to os from setup to setup..even internet connection and other conditions can play a part.

Puppy Linux could be a cornerstone/foundation for not only its own needs but also for being a useful platform for build/test/launch of cross-platform stuff in the home
Yes... And you would be amazed at the reaction I get from people when I tell them that this micro USB stick in my hand is my pc. I have 5.7.1 installed to usb with a save file, so what you say half the forum has? But this is windows people taking an intrest to most of them its "Magic" Or using ophcrack on a live puppy usb to get a windows log in, the Puppy community can build on this.
Last edited by NickAu on Thu 06 Mar 2014, 10:30, edited 2 times in total.
[b]Precise Puppy 5.7.1 Retro Fatty Edition. Hp Compaq 2510p 2x Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo Cpu U7700@ 1.33 ghz,2 gig ram Booting from 8 gig micro USB + 32 gig SD card instead of HDD[/b]

Burn_IT

#24 Post by Burn_IT »

THAT was the point I was trying to make.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

NickAu

#25 Post by NickAu »

Sorry

I must have missunderstood.

to me inconsistent means I ran a that test on the same machine xxx number of times and got varied results. I have run the test 5 times and get the same result. Consistent.
[b]Precise Puppy 5.7.1 Retro Fatty Edition. Hp Compaq 2510p 2x Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo Cpu U7700@ 1.33 ghz,2 gig ram Booting from 8 gig micro USB + 32 gig SD card instead of HDD[/b]

Burn_IT

#26 Post by Burn_IT »

I have Firefox on my machine here under several different OSs and even two XP set-ups. The result vary wildly on all of them.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

ardvark

#27 Post by ardvark »

Pete wrote:Thank you ardvark, that will be great.
Hi Pete...

Sorry it's taken me a while but my version of Google Chrome on Puppy is 32.0.1700.107 and the score on the HTML5 test is 483, in case that helps. :)

Also Midori 0.4 scored 346 and Opera 12.16 scored 392.

Regards...

watchdog

#28 Post by watchdog »

gcmartin wrote:Dont know how many are aware: HTML5 is the "language" of apps and games for both Apple and Android phones with Microsoft coming in starting late last year. The idea, that they all use, is that any developer can create an app/game on one of these, and have it also work and run on all the others OSes (including PCs with correct peripherals).
I'm in doubt: is html5 a programming language to build both webpages and apps or only apps? Is there the case that a html5-proof browser also needs html5 webpages?

Pete

#29 Post by Pete »

ardvark wrote:
Pete wrote:Thank you ardvark, that will be great.
Hi Pete...

Sorry it's taken me a while but my version of Google Chrome on Puppy is 32.0.1700.107 and the score on the HTML5 test is 483, in case that helps. :)

Also Midori 0.4 scored 346 and Opera 12.16 scored 392.

Regards...
Thank you ardvark that is helpful in seeing which browser scores the highest.

Pete

#30 Post by Pete »

watchdog wrote: I'm in doubt: is html5 a programming language to build both webpages and apps or only apps? Is there the case that a html5-proof browser also needs html5 webpages?
Hi watchdog

It depends on the definition of "apps".
HTML 5 (like previous versions) is often used with Javascript so there are restrictions on what a web based "app" can do w.r.t. things like access to the file system, access to physical ports and so on.

When it comes to Android based smartphones and tablets, there are two types of apps that can be run, namely native apps (C based) or those written in HTML5 + js but then the app has to be run in a "webview" container.
Again it will have restrictions which may not apply to a native app.

ardvark

#31 Post by ardvark »

Pete wrote:Thank you ardvark that is helpful in seeing which browser scores the highest.
You're welcome, I'm glad it helped. :)

Regards...

greengeek

#32 Post by greengeek »

There are some interesting figures posted in this thread. The browser I mostly use has a score of 336 out of 555. Part of the HTML5 spec is the extent to which your browser allows the remote code to take control of your PCs functionality. Based on what I see here there are times when I would prefer to use a browser that has a low HTML5 score, in the assumption that it reduces the risk of unintended consequences (ie, I might not want a site to grab control of my audio, my webcam, or my 3D video effects at all).

However, there may be other times where I want FULL access to the HTML5 feature set and get the whole whizzbang 3D video gaming experience or whatever. In considering which browser is capable of fulfilling the HTML5 spec I would like to see a browser that is set up as a fully static sfs if that is possible.

By this I mean that any missing libs on my system (currently Slacko 5.6) would be contained in the sfs, and all profile / HOME locations would be controlled within the sfs and not contaminate existing profiles or, for example, mozilla shared directories. I guess this would be:

- Fully configured HTML5 browser
- "Portable" by design (not contaminating other pre-existing files)
- "Static" by design (self contained and not lacking any libs)
- Constructed as sfs so that I can keep it isolated and tidy.

Does anyone already have such a thing? Is it compatible with (ie not interfering with) other low-scoring browsers that you already use for basic, more secure purposes?

grump

#33 Post by grump »

My results:
YOUR BROWSER SCORES 523 OUT OF 555 POINTS
You are using Chrome 42 on Linux

Google Chrome 42 on FatDog64.