Other Distros

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
James C

#1381 Post by James C »

konaexpress wrote:@james C

Love the black and blues of your take 3.

What distro did you say that is? Guess I will have to go play with ice.

John
Short answer....Debian Sid.

Longer answer ..... I used to start with a very minimal net-install of Sid (occasionally testing) and add onto the base to get a fairly small end result to remaster. Then I discovered http://www.linuxbbq.org/ .Saves a whole lot of work. :)
The particular ICEWM spin is Wuxbuntu http://sourceforge.net/projects/linuxbb ... o/download . Only 300Mb download, installs to about 1 Gb ...not bad for Debian.

Wallpaper,themes,etc. are from various Puppy releases.And a bit of tweaking.

http://linuxbbq.org/about.html
Minimum requirements (hardware)

CPU 32-bit: Intel Pentium Pro / II or Intel Atom or AMD K7 or VIA C3-2 Nehemiah
CPU 64-bit: AMD64 / Sempron or Intel Sandy Bridge / Ivy Bridge or Intel Atom or VIA Nano
RAM: 512MB for MATE/XFCE4, 1024MB for GNOME3/KDE4
RAM: 256MB for all other WMs
VGA graphics adapter, acceleration only recommended for GNOME3
optical disk drive or capable of booting from USB
HDD minimum 3GB of disk space, 6GB for "Roast your own"

For older hardware (older than 12 years) we also offer experimental 486 releases.
If you plan to run Linux on even older computers (386DX or equivalent), you might consider
using specialized distros like TinyCore, slitaz, DSL, PuppyLinux or the like.
Minimum requirements (user)

Of course you should have a basic understanding of computers and high interest in Linux
to run and configure LinuxBBQ. If this is your first journey to Linuxland, bring with you a
big bag of time and patience. We tried to make LinuxBBQ work 'as good as possible' out of the
box for most hardware on the world, but it is very likely
- or even a requirement -
that you need to tweak your configurations and your setup. This is the beauty of LinuxBBQ,
it gives you the freedom and the full control over your computer. As long as you have an open mind,
you're brave enough to ask, and ready to take advice we guarantee that you will have
a lot of fun and -- most impotantly -- that you will learn a lot about GNU/Linux with LinuxBBQ.
Users who are 'afraid' of using the Sid (unstable) branch of Debian are of course welcome
to participate in discussions and development around LinuxBBQ, too. It is very unlikely, though,
that LinuxBBQ changes the Debian branch. On the other hand, by 2014 LinuxBBQ will feature new
bases, like the U-Series (Ubuntu), the F-Series (Fedora), and forks of dormant and inactive distros.

Those who need a more 'corporate' version of Debian Sid are recommended to visit and try Siduction.
Those interested in using the Testing variant might find joy with AntiX.
Our recommendation for a stable Debian desktop is Crunchbang.
If you have just switched from Windows to Linux, take a look at SolusOS.
Everybody else: come in and have a bite!

konaexpress

#1382 Post by konaexpress »

Thanks buddy!

John

nubc

#1383 Post by nubc »

Firefox OS for smartphones
http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/os/
What is Firefox OS?
Backed by some of the biggest names in the industry, Firefox OS is a new open operating system for smartphones developed by Mozilla. Built entirely using HTML5 and other open Web standards, Firefox OS is free from the rules and restrictions of existing proprietary platforms.

How is Firefox OS different from other operating systems?
Firefox OS is the only operating system with Adaptive App Search. While every other phone today is static, giving you the exact same apps each time you turn it on, Firefox OS is always changing to offer exactly the apps you need at any moment in your life. It adapts so you can live every moment to its fullest.

Firefox OS is brought to you by Mozilla, a global nonprofit organization that emphasizes principle over profit. We believe that the Web is a shared public resource to be cared for, not a commodity to be sold. We work with a worldwide community to create open source products like Mozilla Firefox and to innovate for the benefit of the individual and the betterment of the Web. The result is great products built by passionate people and better choices for everyone.

Firefox OS Frequently Asked Questions
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/os/faq/
"From our community to yours...Most smartphones are made by a small number of people, all in one place, probably pretty far from where you live. Firefox OS phones are different. They’re made by a huge global community and are the only smartphones that understand and deliver what you want and need."

"Transform the future...We’re out to make a difference, not a profit. When you choose Firefox OS, you’re helping build a brighter future for the Web and users everywhere."

"The best of the Web...Firefox changed browsing forever by putting users first and offering a new level of choice and innovation online. Now we’re doing it all over again with Firefox OS, while bringing the same superior browsing experience to your smartphone. So you can take control of your life online and get the best the Web has to offer no matter where you go."
Last edited by nubc on Fri 21 Feb 2014, 06:18, edited 6 times in total.

nooby

#1384 Post by nooby »

If I get it which I almost never do.

Java and Java scrip is out the make.
hat kind of computer do you maybe
wants to work with.

Then what about those that tells us that
one of the Java is very bad at at protecting
it's skin and that one rather watch out.

Which java is FF browser linux about?
Too much Google text to read for my poor brain
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

rokytnji

#1385 Post by rokytnji »

Still a AntiX user . Icewm desktop. Conky. It is my Mint/Ubuntu style go to distro.

bark_bark_bark

#1386 Post by bark_bark_bark »

I just tried out LMDE (Linux Mint Debian Edition) 201403 on my netbook today. It seems to work fine. Although I use my Desktop a lot more than my netbook, so I guess I am not going to to whole lot with LMDE.

nooby

#1387 Post by nooby »

Thanks Bark I guess that Edition is slimmer than the most official Flagship :)

The problem I had some year ago using the Debian version
that the frugal boot up process seems trickier

It needed a defragged partition much more that the Ubuntu based
less choosy one. :)

Take this text from LQ.
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... ost3943083
root login graphically in ubuntu , mint etc
as you know the root account is disabled by default but it is enabled in terminal so now I tried bypassing the default setting...

open terminal with normal user account..
type
$ sudo su -
and give the password
now terminal comes in root mode
#
now type
# pkill gdm
now u enterd into a text mode login
again login as normal user
then do
$ sudo su -
give passwd
now type
# startx
this will make u login as root graphically
I have no clue what he talks about maybe he
give codes for making a GUI for the root account?

Or if this is the only way then it way too complicated imo.

Another text.
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/what-is-th ... -password/
What is the default root password?

Setting the default root password:
Some Live Linux distributions are created without a root password
by default (the root account is inactive).

This is particularly true with Debian based distributions like Ubuntu.

Setting a root password enables us to access some essential tools
such as the synaptic installer. In most cases,
having no root password is fine when your running from a Live CD
and don't need to do administration tasks, make changes or
install additional packages.

But for those of us who do want to make administrative changes and save them back to a USB device or local storage device on for example a properly created "casper-rw" partition.

Setting the root password might then be necessary.

How to set the default root password:

nooby

#1388 Post by nooby »

This process is known to work on most Debian based LIVE distributions
... Other distributions may vary.

Open up a terminal and type sudo passwd root
Follow the onscreen instructions to set and confirm your new password
The problem is that I use a live USB Linux Mint
so as soon that I reboot then the Password is gone.

What I need is to know the Debian default password
not something I need to redo each time and then it is gone again.

If they had such a password they would have giving it would they not?

nooby

#1389 Post by nooby »

Look here what I try to avoid.

http://forum.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=110&p=580184

Which is the root password?

Post by xunilmint on Mon May 07, 2012 12:23 am
I Installed Mint Xfce 201204 as a live USB using the Universal installer.

When I try to change the time setting mint demands the root password.
Well I have none.
In a terminal window I write: sudo passwd root

Mint now asks for the MINT password.
None is set by default so I just press Enter.
I now get the message that the login is incorrect.

I then go to Menu - System - Users and Groups and set a password for user mint.

In a terminal window I again issue "sudo passwd root"

When mint prompts for a mint password I provide the password I just set.

Now I get "accepted" as user mint but immediately get the message that
user mint is not a member of the sudoers group.

This is most annoying.
It is not just a matter of adjusting the clock.
Most things setting and access require
the mysterious root password.

Will someone please provide a solution.
I believe there must be a moderator
with better knowledge than I as a newbie have.
Here I am using LMDE on the NTFS HD instead.

The USB flalsh did not work for me so
So I made use of a frugal install of the LMDE
but that one don\t remember personal setting.

And it did auto log in as Live.

Here is how you reach the HD /isodevice/
and then you can look at pictures and movie clips.
you can even delete and change things

which I doubt the password restricted would allow?

Colonel Panic

#1390 Post by Colonel Panic »

I've just installed two more distros; Absolute 14.05, which is based on Slackware but with IceWM as its default window manager, and AntiX 13.2, which needs no introduction as its lead developer (anticapitalista) posts here.

AntiX I particularly like as it's lightweight enough to fit on a CD, which will suit users of older computers which still have CD drives instead of DVD ones, and it has an option to install from a command line (which works well, and was how I did it).

The problem I've had in the past with AntiX - and one or two other light Debian-based distros I've tried, such as Swift - is that after a while it stops allowing me to log in (and then there's no alternative but to wipe the installation and start again), but with any luck that won't happen this time.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

nooby

#1391 Post by nooby »

I would love to get help booting up this one
Nano Linux. Based on Tiny Core but with
some difference.

I tried this boot code with some variations
and it gave different error codes.

I had to give up.

I guess it is not built to boot on NTFS formatted HD?
title nanolinux 64 bit with ntfs-3g
find --set-root /nanoboot/core.gz
kernel /nanoboot/vmlinuz-nano quiet vga=791
initrd /nanoboot/core.gz /ntfs-3g.gz

saintless

#1392 Post by saintless »

Colonel Panic wrote:The problem I've had in the past with AntiX - and one or two other light Debian-based distros I've tried, such as Swift - is that after a while it stops allowing me to log in (and then there's no alternative but to wipe the installation and start again), but with any luck that won't happen this time.
If I do not mistake all distroes with such a problem have SLiM login display manager? If this is the case you can try to install XDM or LightDM and this should fix the login problem.
I have information Antix fixed the SLiM bugs but worth to try if installing different DM solves this issue.

Toni

nooby

#1393 Post by nooby »

hehe I am the only one here in Puppy linux forum caring for Nano.

Colonel Panic

#1394 Post by Colonel Panic »

saintless wrote:
Colonel Panic wrote:The problem I've had in the past with AntiX - and one or two other light Debian-based distros I've tried, such as Swift - is that after a while it stops allowing me to log in (and then there's no alternative but to wipe the installation and start again), but with any luck that won't happen this time.
If I do not mistake all distroes with such a problem have SLiM login display manager? If this is the case you can try to install XDM or LightDM and this should fix the login problem.
I have information Antix fixed the SLiM bugs but worth to try if installing different DM solves this issue.

Toni
Thanks for the info, I'll try that :)
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

jakfish

#1395 Post by jakfish »

I'm a big hater of logging in, and I've used LightDM with Debian Sid/Openbox and it's never let me down.

As an aside, I bought a Acer C720 Chromebook, used the ChromeOS for about five seconds, before hacking my way to Xubuntu 13.10 heaven. Love the fast XFCE and its tweakable nature, and Ubuntu of any flavor does well on the C720's specs of 2GB RAM/16GB SSD.

Very fast boot, even faster shutdown. It's been my go-to machine for the past month, given its one line of script for Linux installation (chrubuntu). Automatic log-in, too :)

Jake

Moat

#1396 Post by Moat »

jakfish wrote: ...Xubuntu 13.10 heaven. Love the fast XFCE and its tweakable nature, and Ubuntu of any flavor does well on the C720's specs of 2GB RAM/16GB SSD.
I spent a bit of time playing with Xubuntu 13.10 recently, and agree completely - tweakable, stable, fast and efficient as all get out - and with the sizeable Ubuntu repo, can rather easily be made into about anything one wants or needs. My favorite "big" Linux distro. Can't wait for the LTS 14.04 release next month!

Typical of Xfce releases, it seems, in that it looks really bland OOTB until you get in and tweak a while. I don't quite understand why "they" do that - develop a system around a desktop that has the potential to look and function so nicely - yet release it appearing so blah, so ordinary on first boot...?

Also spent quite a fair amount of time with a Mint 15 Olivia (Mate) install. On one hand, I love it (quite fast/efficient, great look and "feel", full-featured and generally easy to use and setup) - but on the other hand, there always seems to be either some obnoxious bug/glitch that raises it's ugly head (Synaptic sometimes crashes system, for one), or else I uncover an obvious, useful and common feature that's simply missing (like no thumbnail support in the default Caja file browser, for example). A number of things that spoil the impression of an otherwise great, well laid-out OS.

Bob

nooby

#1397 Post by nooby »

How does one do what you refer to there?

Hacked the macine to accept xubuntu?

Colonel Panic

#1398 Post by Colonel Panic »

Moat wrote:
jakfish wrote: ...Xubuntu 13.10 heaven. Love the fast XFCE and its tweakable nature, and Ubuntu of any flavor does well on the C720's specs of 2GB RAM/16GB SSD.
I spent a bit of time playing with Xubuntu 13.10 recently, and agree completely - tweakable, stable, fast and efficient as all get out - and with the sizeable Ubuntu repo, can rather easily be made into about anything one wants or needs. My favorite "big" Linux distro. Can't wait for the LTS 14.04 release next month!

Typical of Xfce releases, it seems, in that it looks really bland OOTB until you get in and tweak a while. I don't quite understand why "they" do that - develop a system around a desktop that has the potential to look and function so nicely - yet release it appearing so blah, so ordinary on first boot...?

Also spent quite a fair amount of time with a Mint 15 Olivia (Mate) install. On one hand, I love it (quite fast/efficient, great look and "feel", full-featured and generally easy to use and setup) - but on the other hand, there always seems to be either some obnoxious bug/glitch that raises it's ugly head (Synaptic sometimes crashes system, for one), or else I uncover an obvious, useful and common feature that's simply missing (like no thumbnail support in the default Caja file browser, for example). A number of things that spoil the impression of an otherwise great, well laid-out OS.

Bob
I agree. I find this frustrating as well. Xfce works really well as a window manager IMO, with plenty of features and yet modest system requirements compared to either Gnome or KDE, but the themes it comes with are very bland and uninspiring; one set of pale and washed-out colours after another.

Other news; I've recently installed Slackel 5.0 Openbox, which is based on Slackware (hence the name) and I'm impressed with it; like Puppy, it provides a full set of lightweight apps such as abiword, gnumeric and Midori and has quite an attractive interface.

I think it's a good choice for a lightweight distro for people with older computers (like mine).

nooby

#1399 Post by nooby »

Thanks for reminding me to look into latest Shackel. Intersting.

I already have tried out the Community effort for building Slax
a custom made version which many like and their forum at
proteus Porteus? I wlwasy forget the real name.

James C

#1400 Post by James C »

Porteus 3.0 just released.Available with KDE 4,LXDE, MATE, RazorQT and XFCE.

http://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=3185

Code: Select all

guest@porteus:~$ uname -a
Linux porteus 3.13.6-porteus #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Mar 7 07:25:21 Local time zone must be set--s i686 AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+ AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
Attachments
Porteus 3.0 LXDE.jpg
(41.59 KiB) Downloaded 593 times