False wifi connection on netbook HP Mini with Atheros AR9285

Booting, installing, newbie
axelpuppy

False wifi connection on netbook HP Mini with Atheros AR9285

#1 Post by axelpuppy »

Hi guys, I am pretty new to this forum and to Linux as well.

Therefore I am looking for your expert advice on how to get a functional wifi connection on my HP Mini 110-3860sq netbook with Puppy Linux. The wifi board is using the Atheros AR9285. I have tried several Puppy distros from an usb stick: Precise, Lucid, Slaco, Wary and with each one of them I was only getting a false wifi connection with the message “currently there is a working internet connection on interface wlan0
Last edited by axelpuppy on Sat 08 Mar 2014, 22:57, edited 1 time in total.

r4dic4l

#2 Post by r4dic4l »

I personally have had great success with Frisbee network manager.
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Frisbee
Good luck :D

axelpuppy

#3 Post by axelpuppy »

r4dic4l wrote:I personally have had great success with Frisbee network manager.
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Frisbee
Good luck :D
Thank you r4dic4l, but I have used it on the distros where it was available. I have played with all the connection managers and wizards, no success though.

bigpup

#4 Post by bigpup »

[quote]Precise, Lucid, Slaco, Wary and with each one of them I was only getting a false wifi connection with the message “currently there is a working internet connection on interface wlan0
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

cthisbear

#5 Post by cthisbear »

Does F12 or Fn F12 turn on the wireless.

Might be just that.

Chris.

Burn_IT

#6 Post by Burn_IT »

Puppy goes for the strongest signal, which may not be yours.
You need to restrict access to your own wifi.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

axelpuppy

#7 Post by axelpuppy »

[quote="bigpup"][quote]Precise, Lucid, Slaco, Wary and with each one of them I was only getting a false wifi connection with the message “currently there is a working internet connection on interface wlan0

axelpuppy

#8 Post by axelpuppy »

cthisbear wrote:Does F12 or Fn F12 turn on the wireless.

Might be just that.

Chris.
Thank you for the hint cthisbear, unfortunately this is not the case. I have booted Windows, checked the wifi and then booted again with USB Puppy without touching F12.

axelpuppy

#9 Post by axelpuppy »

Burn_IT wrote:Puppy goes for the strongest signal, which may not be yours.
You need to restrict access to your own wifi.
Burn_IT, thank you, but I have chosen the right SSID myself from the scanned list. I cannot imagine that Puppy is going behing my back and is choosing another wifi network than the one that I have set it up to.

Nevertheless, how can I restrict access to my own wifi? I have never heared of such a thing even in the Windows context. Thank you!

Barkin

#10 Post by Barkin »

axelpuppy wrote:... how can I restrict access to my own wifi?
In Frisbee you can create profiles for the wi-fi routers you want to connect to in order of preference ... http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=757455#757455

In the router profile in Frisbee you store the "key/password" if the Wi-Fi is encrypted.
If the wi-fi link is encrypted* you won't be able to connect without a "key/password".

(* and it should be, otherwise you are broadcasting your business to your neighbourhood).

axelpuppy

#11 Post by axelpuppy »

Bigpup, with Lucid lupu-528.005 booted from the USB stick I have redone several times the wifi set-up following that guide to the letter and still no success. The icon on the task bar shows "Active interfaces wlan0 Rx:3KB, Tx:7KB" but when trying to download a browser I get the message "Error: Can't download. Please connect to the internet."
At this point I have connected the eth0 and done the lan set-up all right to download the FF browser. Of course no change to the fake wlan0.

I have also performed a check on all the installed packages and the report is OK.

What else can I try, any idea please?

P.S. Not very accurate that counter on the taskbar showing the joint traffic on wlan0 and eth0: after downloading the FF it has bearly changed from the previous state to Rx:3KB, Tx:8KB. How can that be with no increase on the Rx side?

mikeb

#12 Post by mikeb »

Are you 100% on the wifi card or is it an external one.
My experience of HP and google searches seem to suggest it would be using broadcom which would entail the b43 or wl driver and the usual patience since HP have a knack of making wifi on linux a PITA.

mike

axelpuppy

#13 Post by axelpuppy »

mikeb wrote:Are you 100% on the wifi card or is it an external one.
My experience of HP and google searches seem to suggest it would be using broadcom which would entail the b43 or wl driver and the usual patience since HP have a knack of making wifi on linux a PITA.

mike
Hi mikeb, thank you for your reply.

It is the internal wifi pci card, which on my HP Mini 110-3860sq netbook is using the Atheros Communications AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express). When booting with Puppy, the Dougal's Network Wizard is recognizing it as wlan0 and it is loading the ath9k module. Ath9k seems to designate the wireless "n" standard, but I hope that this ath9k ("n") profile is covering also the "b/g" wifi standards.

I know that earlier HP netbooks were using the broadcom wireless boards, which I have tested and work OK on a Compaq Mini 702 (=HP Mini 110c-1000). But I need now to have my atheros wifi up and running with this HP Mini 110-3860sq netbook of mine.
Thank you!

mikeb

#14 Post by mikeb »

[quote]However at one of the “installs

fredk661682

#15 Post by fredk661682 »

ally

#16 Post by ally »

hey burn

if using dougal then the connection is in two parts, find and connect to the router then the dns (? - mid way through very large upload so can't access the screen to check) button which 'completes' the connection

just double check....

:)

axelpuppy

#17 Post by axelpuppy »

fredk661682 wrote:You may try this : https://www.digitalocean.com/community/ ... ork-issues
Hm, it seems that it is a combined router and HP Mini problem, rather than a Linux problem. I have put up an old "b" wep router and the connection works fine.
Thank you fredk661682, I will use the given link to see what's wrong with the main router. Very usefull.

Thanks to all of you for the support.

nooby

#18 Post by nooby »

Guys don't get me wrong now.
I've had almost identical problem
with wifi as the OP I had one Acer D250
and one Acer D255 and I spent some 5 hours on one
of them.

Totally hopeless. I had to give up and ask early
home going to not be in the hospis anymore and
at homeI had Lan so no need for tinkering again.

So don't get me wrong now.
I love that all of we all share Puppy together
as our fave pet to use. What would life be without Puppy?

But other distros seems to have none of these problems
they just works. No need to learn difficult detailed instructions
that only a geek/nerd would be able to understand
so Something is needed or I have to change to Porteus/Proteus?
or Slax or Knoppix or whatever small enough to work
on my computers.

Okay I should derail anothers thread. Good luck finding the way to sucess

A tip for Acer owners. On Acer Netbook D250 then somtimes
the Linux killed to built in network board.

The only way to get it back where to do a proper shutdown of linux
and then take out the power cable and batteries for some seconds
and then plug it back and boot into Win and activate the Wifi
and then reboot and use the repaired computer to get Lan internet.

or wifi if one really needed to use it. now this was some years ago.

I mention this here for the OP to look into. In case HP or other Motherboard
has same protection of shutting wifi card down when needed???

One only know after a test.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Burn_IT

#19 Post by Burn_IT »

I meant set the SSID and access key in both your router and Puppy so that it picked up only yours as matching.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

axelpuppy

#20 Post by axelpuppy »

Hm, the saga seems to continue: today I have tried to connect the same HP netbook to an office hidden wireless lan, being given the necessary info. Unfortunately I did not manage to do it, receiving the message: "wpa_supplicant failed to connect. Verify that the password you entered is correct and that your network card supports wpa_supplicant."
Of course the password was the correct one, which leaves the question mark to the second alternative.

I have no idea if the wifi network card supports the wpa_supplicant or how can I check that, all I know is that on Windows side everythings is working well via the wifi channel.

So, how can I handle in Puppy this issue with the wpa_supplicant and does this new experience of mine bring any light on how to get really connected to my home router, which is my initially raised issue?